What Is A Head Of Dill? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What Is A Head Of Dill?

Last post Jul 28, 2012 10:52 AM by omamcm . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • What Is A Head Of Dill?

I've never made dill pickles. All the recipes I found call for a head of dill I find fresh dill in the stores but how much of this would be used for it to be equal to a head of dill?

False
  • Re: What Is A Head Of Dill?

A head of dill is not the green frilly part, it is the flowering part from the top of the dill plant.

If left on the plant it will dry out and you will have dill seed.

You could use regular dill for making pickles but it may make your pickles have more stuff floating in the jar. With the dill heads they make a cleaner looking jar of pickles.  If that is all you can find I would go for it! Your pickles will taste the same!

Happy Canning!

False

Taste of Home Field Editor. Blogger & Photographer.  http://nutmegdisrupted.com/

Here is a picture of a head of dill

False

Taste of Home Field Editor. Blogger & Photographer.  http://nutmegdisrupted.com/

Thanks now I understand Wish me luck!
    False

Thanks for the quick response Redawna!~A

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

So if my recipe calls for a head of dill - I would put this whole head in?  (as pictured?)

False

Yup you'd put the whole head in.  I just snip the stem at the base of the head & plop it in there.

False

Community Manager

Taste of Home Magazine

Feel free to contact me if you have questions or concerns with the Taste of Home website or community.

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sstetzel.toh@gmail.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

Thank you.  Why do some pickling recipes call for a sprig of dill.  I have seen pictures where they use the skinny sprigs from the end of the dill stalk.  Is that what they make dill weed from?

False

Dill weed is the leaves of the dill. Very fragrant. I'm not sure why recipes call for certain parts or pieces...preference of the creator I suppose.

False

Community Manager

Taste of Home Magazine

Feel free to contact me if you have questions or concerns with the Taste of Home website or community.

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sstetzel.toh@gmail.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

We grow lots of dill in our garden. I use every part of the plant in my Sun Pickles. Also love the fern, chopped fresh or dried to sprinkle over cucumber salad, also on cottage cheese, baked fish or deviled eggs.

False