***Utica Mushroom Stew*** | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

***Utica Mushroom Stew***

Last post Jan 25, 2011 9:17 AM by tastycook1 . 5 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
  • ***Utica Mushroom Stew***
    This is a local specialty that you are unlikely to find outside of the central NY city of Utica. Mushrooms were gathered wild and used as a filler to stretch meat by Italian immigrants in the early 1900’s.  All these years later, it’s still being made but not just to stretch meat anymore.

Everyone’s family has their own favorite way of making this—sometimes with cubed pork, veal, beef, sausage or all of them; bell peppers or cubanelles or no peppers at all; regular button mushrooms or a mix of different varieties. This is my version. I like it simple but you can add some basil, oregano and/or a pinch of red pepper if you like.  This recipe serves 4 because the leftovers are worth it but it’s also easy to cut it in half.

In some local restaurants, it’s still served the traditional way by spooning it over slices of soft Italian bread.  Or over short pasta.  It's also served by the bowl like chili with bread on the side.  Any way you find it, it’s a hot and hearty stew for a cold winter’s day.

Utica Mushroom Stew

4 servings

1 lb. loose Italian medium or hot sausage (slice the casing to remove)
    1 medium yellow onion cubed
    1 red bell pepper cubed (or 2 large green cubanelles)
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    Olive oil
    2 1/2 tbsp. fresh flat leaf Italian parsley, chopped
    1 lb. sliced or halved/quartered mushrooms (I prefer the bigger pieces of crimini or baby portobellas)
    1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes (or whole tomatoes whizzed in the blender)
    1 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. black pepper

Fry diced onions, peppers, and garlic in oil until onions are clear. Add sausage and cook it through. Add mushrooms and tomatoes with all seasonings. Simmer on low uncovered for 1-3 hours until it's thickened to your taste.  In the crock pot (won’t be as thick) on high for 3 hours or 6 hours on low. If you are using the crock pot and like it thicker, you might add a dab of tomato paste--I haven't tried it.

Serve over rigatoni or ziti or sliced Italian bread with Pecorino Romano cheese on top . . . or in a bowl with a loaf of crusty bread on the side. Freezes well.
    False
  • Re: ***Utica Mushroom Stew***

Birdy, during my highschool years, back in the 50's, I lived on Long Island, and we visited a very swank restaurant overlooking the Sound that served this soup....  I had forgotten all about it, until I saw your recipe, and I swear, I could almost smell the wonderful aroma just reading your post.  This will definitely be one that I will try very soon.  Thanks for bringing back a wonderful memory.

False

♥ Life is a song, sing it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a dream, realize it, Life is a sacrifice, offer it. Life is love, enjoy it. And, life is cooking, eat it. (Sai Baba & Judy)

♥ Judy Batson, Volunteer Field Editor, Taste of Home, 2009 ♥ Contest Winner, Country Woman, 2011♥ Meet me at Cooking for Two.

Yes

False

I love mushrooms - look forward to trying this!

Lilly

False

I made this for supper last night, cutting it in half because I didn't have enough mushrooms.  If you like mushrooms, do what I did.  I used a whole 10-oz. pack of criminis instead of 8 oz. for the half recipe and cut them in halves and quarters.  They are really meaty.  I will get 3 servings from this.  I had mine over rotini--it soaks up the sauce very well.

False

I'm going to be trying this one soonSmile

False