*WE LOVE TO CHAT 4/23* | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

*WE LOVE TO CHAT 4/23*

Last post Apr 29, 2012 3:12 PM by 16281628 . 95 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 5 of 7 (96 items) < First34567
  • Re: *WE LOVE TO CHAT 4/23*
    Beema--it's not unusual for us here in MI to get a frost now since our frost date is May 15. But what makes it seem so weird is that we have flowers blooming that aren't supposed to be blooming, trees in full leaf, and 80 degree days in March. With all the warm weather we had, it seemed like summer was just about here, but now we're back to reality!
    False

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
    -Will Rogers

Good Sunday Morning, Ladies ~ The heat is coming - going up to 91° today, with the humidity levels at 75 to 80%.  And, a 20% chance of afternoon rains.  That all means summertime to us.

Carole, I guess I just don't remember it being cold this last in the year in Detroit and New Baltimore when I lived there - I left Michigan when I was 14, and that's 62 years ago!  Tongue Tied

The stuffed manicotti I made last night was really very good, so later today I will post the recipe that I threw together as I was making it .... 

Today, Randall is coming again to finish some of the work he didn't get done the last time he was here.  My lists keep getting longer and longer = I told him I was going to have to start hiring him my the weekend rather than the day.  Poor guy - he works hard all week, and even harder when he comes here, but he not only needs the money, I think he loves me like a mom....  I have helped him through some rough times.

I am trying, one half hour a week, to get Aune back into the sleep routine she will need when she returns to work.  In the beginning, when she was taking pain meds and sleep meds, she got into the habit of sleeping really late, and now she is struggling to get up early.  Her normal work routine requires her to be up at 5:30....  this week, her goal is to get up at 6:00 = and I can hear her in her room, groaning and moaning when her clock goes off.  Sleep

Have a great day, Everyone....  see you later. 

False

♥ Life is a song, sing it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a dream, realize it, Life is a sacrifice, offer it. Life is love, enjoy it. And, life is cooking, eat it. (Sai Baba & Judy)

♥ Judy Batson, Volunteer Field Editor, Taste of Home, 2009 ♥ Contest Winner, Country Woman, 2011♥ Meet me at Cooking for Two.

Good morning all. Suppose to be a very nice day here, frost again last night, my poor, poor plants. Bobcat came yesterday and some other small machine to dig out for the  shed floor, it is calling for rain tomorrow, please keep your fingers crossed that it misses us for a few days so we can get that floor done.

False

Click for Windsor, Ontario Forecast

Beema
    I cannot believe that you guys are still getting frost and freezing temps.  It's almost May, for heaven's sake.

Beema--I don't know about the others, but where I live in central NY we've had frost as late as June 7 although my mother usually planted her tomatoes over the Memorial weekend.  According to Cornell, the official last frost date is June 1 but our latest snow storm in my memory was 6" on May 17 and people still talk about the Mother's day storm about 12 years ago. So it ain't over till it's over! Big Smile

Speaking of frost, we had another hard freeze last night.  It's clear and sunny right now and if we're lucky we'll get into the 50's today with a brisk breeze.  There's another freeze warning out for tonight before it finally turns toward some warmer temps and rain. My friend and I may go birding on Monday when it warms up before the rain starts again. At least the hard frost is holding down the black flies and skeeters for a while.

Mac--hope you get that work done OK. The foundation for our addition on the house had to be done during a week when we got 3" of rain so I can relate. 

Trailmom--has your stray cat left the mallard chicks alone? If they are out of the water, they're vulnerable although Mom could probably give it a run for it's money. As for watching those bird cams--they sure can be addictive.  I just happened to view the hawk nest yesterday when the chicks were being fed--they are soooo cute. As you can see, there will be a time when the adult herons won't be able to fit in the nest when the kids get bigger. If all of the heron eggs hatch, that will be a large brood, too.  I wouldn't be surprised if some don't make it because that will be a challenge for them to raise that many.

My nephew's daughter by a previous marriage just had a baby so I guess that makes me a great-great-aunt for the first time (if that's the right way to term it.) That part of the family has been out of touch for quite a while so it was a surprise to find out.

I'm planning to make the lentil stew today for supper. Other than that, no specific plans except mowing the lawn. Hope you have a good Sunday.  Talk to you later. 

False

Good Morning All:

Beema: I think the weather change is called "Global Warming"!!  Devil made say that!! Wink  When I was a kid we got a sled one year for Christmas and not enough snow to use it AND then one year it snowed so much that the neighbors all dug out the road (with shovels) because a snowplow couldn't even get through!! Any big dips in the road drifted straight across (very deep in those spots as much as 4 to 5 or more feet). But I do not remember "a fooler Spring" as early as this year (and I have a long memory).  Embarrassed

Gloomy out and probably will rain. Have a snuffy nose this morning (probably due to this weather). Temp is 46.0°. Hi is supposed to get to 67° and scattered Thunder storms thur Thursday. Looks like alot of staying inside.

Cali has had her breakfast and I have finished my 1st cup of coffee - need breakfast.

False

Birdie: Apparently we were posting at the same time this morning.  BUT look at the "time" TOH clocks "off"????

False

Good morning everyone.  Looks like everyone has already been here just about for that early morning cuppaWink

Another nice bright sunny day for us but it's still chilly.  Temps again were below freezing overnight. The rule of thumb here Beema is not to plant anything outside until after the May long w/e or in other words, May 24th.  Even after that we can get frosts.  4 of my tomato plants are doing really well and are big enough that they could be planted but for that warning so in the meantime they go into the coldframe hubby made every morning and come back in at night.  It's a bit of a pain to have to make sure and remember them but it beats killing them off by letting them get frostedSurprise

We had 5 big bonfires yesterday and got so much garden trash burnt.  This was all stuff - like tree branches and scrub - that would not go in the compost maker.  A little tidying up will still be needed from the fires but it feels good to have got rid of so much.

Hopefully I'll get some onions and beans planted this afternoon.

I haven't been watching the bird cams this year, not 'cos I'm not interested , but I just know I would spend too much time sitting here watching themSurprise

Roast chicken on the menu here tonight,

Have a wonderful day,

Tasty

False

thegeema
    TOH clocks "off"????

Geema--I noticed that too! Beema, did you really post your message just after midnight??!!

Hawk chicklets are being fed--they look so comfy in that nest.  I've got to get something done. By the way, Carole, I think I know what you witnessed with the feeding of the baby herons.  Those may have been the yolk sacs from the eggs that hatched--they may eat them to tidy the nest--housecleaning.

Talk to you later.

False

Yes, Everyone, all my eagle-eyed friends, the clocks are off by 6 hours.  I have reported it, but being a Sunday, it may not be corrected until tomorrow.  My Sunday morning post was just a little after 6am.

Bringing things back to memory, I do recall that one year, maybe I was about 8 years old, it snowed on my birthday (the middle of June),  and we didn't usually go from Detroit to my grandmother's farm until after school let out, which back then was around Father's Day, and that's when we started planting in earnest.  So...  is it spring yet? 

I have a soup starting on the stove, and the whole house smells so good.  Sometimes I think I make soup more for the aroma than I do for the eating....  Embarrassed

False

♥ Life is a song, sing it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a dream, realize it, Life is a sacrifice, offer it. Life is love, enjoy it. And, life is cooking, eat it. (Sai Baba & Judy)

♥ Judy Batson, Volunteer Field Editor, Taste of Home, 2009 ♥ Contest Winner, Country Woman, 2011♥ Meet me at Cooking for Two.

Yeah, it's always a crap shoot when to put the plants out into the garden.  A while back (maybe 10 years ago...can't really remember) we had a frost well into June and I had to replace half of my vegetable garden!  We had a hard frost last night so I'm so glad I covered a few flowers that I didn't want to lose.  Our last frost date used to be the last day of May, but for some reason it got changed to May 15.

Tasty--When you say you might plant beans today, do you mean the regular green or yellow beans (string beans)?  I always read to wait till the ground warms up. so that's what I do.  But if you had luck planting these this early, I'd sure like to get a head start on them, too.  It would be nice to have beans ready earlier.  So far all I planted besides all the herbs are green onions, red onions for regular sized onions, couple varieties of beats, radishes, sugar snap peas and spinach.  How about cucumbers?  do you plant those and if so do you wait till it gets warmer?

We're supposed to get in the 80's later this week and be in the low 60's and sunny today so perfect weather for working outside.  The garden is almost all dug up (poor husband has to do all the hard work Sad ) but I still have weeds to get out of the flower beds.  Most of the weeds I got out when it was hot in March all grew back already.  So I want to get them all out so that I could sprinkle Preen everywhere so that they won't grow back again.  That stuff is a lifesaver...sure does save a lot of work for the rest of the summer.

Hope everyone has a great day.

carole

False

-Will Rogers

Carole, I have never tried Preen....  someone told me it killed some of her plants, so I have been afraid to use it.  But, maybe she put out too much, or some other such thing. 

Every cat that I ever owned, and that would be about 11, have always found me instead of the other way around.  They have come, like TrailMom's orange one, and just sort of made them selves at home.  Usually, after two weeks, I would end up taking the newcomer to the vet to get checked out, just to be sure we were not harboring a sick cat.  Back then they didn't have ID chips so there was not way to find out if the cats belonged to anyone, unless there was a Lost Cat sign posted somewhere.  Good luck with Mr. Hiss.

Tasty, I love the smell of wood burning, and I miss that in the fall of the year, when we used to burn the leaves.  Now, of course, here in Florida, we cannot burn, ever, no matter what the weather or the conditions.  So, I recycle all the leaves, use them as mulch in some places, and for things that won't mulch down easily, we are supposed to bag it and it is picked up by the garbage collectors once a week.  They take it to a separate land fill, just for yard waste, so it is being recycled. 

Now, I really have to get back to work....  see you later.

False

Preen has a list of plants that it is safe to use on, so as long as that plant is on the list it should be ok.  I usually can't use it too early in the season in a lot of spots cause I have a lot of annuals that drop their seeds and come up on their own.  So I have to wait in certain areas till all my flowers are up before I can use it or it'll stop their seeds from germinating.  On of my sons was after me for years to try preen, and then I finally did and wish that would not have waited so long to use it!

We can't do any trash burning here, either.  But fire pits are allowed.  I hate when people around us use them when it's warm out and we have the windows open...then our whole house stinks.  In the fall when the leaves drop my husband puts the bag on the lawn mower and  cuts up all the leaves then we put them in the vegetable garden to decompose over winter.  Since they're already cut up small they are mostly decomposed by spring.  We even take our neighbor's leaves and grass clippings to use.  But big things like branches and stuff that doesn't decompose quick we put in our plastic trash cans for the yard waste truck to pick up and dump into their truck.

False

-Will Rogers

Beema--if you think that you might be interested in using Preen, here's how to check if it's safe for your plants.  If your plant isn't listed you tell them and they find out and let you know.  It sure does save a lot of time instead of all that senseless weeding.  I got a 25pound bucket at Sam's and it was a lot cheaper than anywhere else around here.  I'd much rather sit outside and enjoy my yard instead of constantly working in it. My body says that it's worth the money!  Big Smile

Preen and Plant Compatibility Help

What does this do?

Not only do you want to find products that prevent weeds -- you want to know whether you can use the product in your garden. Use this form to find products that are recommended for use around your favorite flowers, trees, shrubs and vegetables.

What do I do?

Begin typing your plant name in the box provided. As you type, a list of suggested plants will appear for you to choose from. Or you can continue to type without choosing.

Submit the form using the ‘Find products’ button to search for weed prevention products that are recommended to use around your favorite plants.

What if my plant is not listed?

Our plant list contains thousands of species - too many to list in one place, so go ahead and tell us what plants you have. Once you submit your plant, we will do a more in-depth search.

Should I use the common or botanical name?

It doesn’t matter. We know plants are sometimes known by more than one name, and we anticipate that most of our customers know plants by their common usage names. That’s why we have endeavored to provide a service that works using either form.

http://www.preen.com/products/flowers-trees-shrubs/weed-preventer

False

-Will Rogers

WOW!!  Thanks for all this information, Carole.. I will definitely look into it.  I don't do the weeding, but I do pay someone to do it, and if the product costs less than what I pay to have it done, and it is safe, then I will really be thankful.  Yes

False

You're welcome!  I can't remember what I paid for 25#, maybe around $30...not sure.  But I always wait for it to be on sale.  This year Sam's price beat the sale prices at the other stores.  This big one will probably last me all this summer and next summer, too, so it's not that bad.  I don't put any in the vegetable garden, except where I have a long line of dahlias cause I'm planting veg seeds and onion sets here and there all summer.

False

-Will Rogers