♫ WE LOVE TO CHAT 5/28 ♫ | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

♫ WE LOVE TO CHAT 5/28 ♫

Last post Jun 03, 2012 1:20 PM by NYBirder . 81 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 5 of 6 (82 items) < First23456
  • Re: ♫ WE LOVE TO CHAT 5/28 ♫

Good morning everyone, DH's colonoscopy went well, found 3 polyps, took them out, nurse told me no cancer which is great news. Up early as we are getting picked up at 5:30 for the airport, talk to you all in a week.

False

Click for Windsor, Ontario Forecast

Good Saturday Morning...  egads, it's late for me to be starting this morning, but I wanted to make sure that my headache from yesterday was fully gone, and it is.  Thank goodness.  Promises to be a bright sunny day, with temps near 90, and humidy to match. 

I knew Mac would be up early this morning, and her news about her DH is wonderful.  I know they must both be relieved. 

Tasty, picking strawberries was my favorite job when I was living summers with my grandmother.  We probably ate more than got put into the box, and our fingers seemed to be permanently colored to match.  Nothing more delicious than freshly picked berries, still warm from the sun. 

Wicker, in the areas where you found all that trash, I assume the park service has provided trash barrels, right?  One park, near here, that is a known hangout for kids, put yellow signs on the trash barrels that say " Smile, You're on Candid Camera. Litterers will be fined."  Since then the amount of trash has been way down, and the barrels have been full.  There really is no camera, but the kids don't know that.  And, especially now, we have cameras at all the major intersections to catch cars that run red lights, and every major parking area, almost all stores and such have cameras, so the kids are used to the idea.

Today, I need to do some more shopping for tomorrow's party...  and do as much as I can ahead of time.  The menu isn't nearly as intensive as some that I have had, so things should be easier. 

Take care everyone, and I will stop by later to see what you are doing today.

False

♥ Life is a song, sing it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a dream, realize it, Life is a sacrifice, offer it. Life is love, enjoy it. And, life is cooking, eat it. (Sai Baba & Judy)

♥ Judy Batson, Volunteer Field Editor, Taste of Home, 2009 ♥ Contest Winner, Country Woman, 2011♥ Meet me at Cooking for Two.

Good morning, all. It's rainy and gloomy here today--cooler than the last week for sure. I just put beef stew in my little slow cooker for tonight. Somehow it just seems right for this weekend. Despite the windows being closed last night I found myself pulling on another blanket in the middle of the night but my heat hasn't kicked on. I bet it will tonight--it's supposed to go down into the mid 40's.

Has anyone here picked wild strawberries? My mother and I would walk to some wild meadows in the city park when I was in high school to pick them--we rarely had any competition. One memorable time we hulled about a quart of them (and if you've ever done that with those small berries, you'll understand what a job that is.) We had a strawberry shortcake as our entire dinner that night with leftovers for breakfast. Mom would make a cake out of biscuit dough and split it warm to add the berries. The top would go on and she'd slice it in wedges with whipped cream on top. I can still taste it--wild strawberries have an intense flavor that cultivated ones don't seem to approach. And the jam made with them! Sigh! Those fields are now almost woods since the trees took over and I haven't picked them in years.

We picked wild blueberries when I was a kid, too. My mother would can them and we'd eat blueberry pie all winter and sometimes as a sauce over vanilla cornstarch pudding. You don't appreciate what you have until you don't have it anymore. I don't think I've had blueberries quite like that since then, either.

Here I've had myself my breakfast and I'm making myself hungry talking about food. Time to finish my coffee and get something done.  Talk to you later.

False

Good Morning:

It is a little cool here this morning. Temp is only 56.4°. Sun is out nice and bright.

We used to pick wild strawberries, too!  Mother made the same slightly sweetened biscuit dough cake for our strawberries. Later years we/they had a strawberry patch. My brother Ray has a May birthday (23rd) and he usually got a strawberry shortcake for his birthday. Recently I found out he doesn't care for the biscuit dough cake. 

Birdy: Do you have a recipe for the biscuit dough cake? My DH liked the biscuit dough cake okay (at my folks)  but preferred a plain yellow type cake so that is what I made (probably what he grew up with).

False

Geema--my mother never used a recipe. She would make a standard rich biscuit dough using shortening--I think with a touch of sugar added--and pat it out in two disks the size of a 9" cake pan. As for the measurements, I have't a clue. You'd probably want to use a recipe that would make maybe a dozen biscuits (that's just a guess.)  After putting the layer in, she'd butter the top and put the second on top. I think that helped break it apart later or it was just an excuse to put in some butter. Wink Once it was baked, she'd let it cool a tad and split it to fill.

This would be easy enough to try on a small scale in a 6" pan as a trial. These days, it's easier for me to make individual biscuits. I have a nice recipe from the Betty Crocker cooking for two book that I bought back in the 70's that I have made for years. I'll post it.

Now I really am hungry.

False

Good Morning!

Strawberries bring back memories - Beema - I ate so many sitting in the strawberry patch when I was a kid! We started with 100 plants - and one year picked 160 quarts - doesn't even count what I ate in the patch!

Mexico - sounds like a nice vacation and family there too! Can't wait to hear about it necxt week.

It is cooler today here - in sixties now. Skies are clear and sunny! Yesterday was another story - dreary all day.

I just hate to even say it - I have school work to do today. I work at station tomorrow. Is it any wonder that not only am I tired - I do not feel like doing a dog gone thing when I am off. I want to cacoon and be by myself.

Oh well, need to get this review book started for my students. Really need to try to get to grocery today also - I hate going on the weekends!

Lilly

False

Birdy: Mother probably didn't have a real recipe either. Most of them were in her head. She cooked on a wood range until after I was probably in high school. And she could make anything in that wood stove oven. Don't think it had a temperature gauge. She would know how hot it was by opening the oven door and kinda sticking her hand in and if it needed any more wood on the fire. I even made Angel Food cakes (for 4-H) but she controlled the stove temperature for me. I use a Clabber Girl recipe when I make biscuits "from scratch" but not often. Clabber Girl baking powder is what Mother used so that might be where she got her recipe "sweetened".

False

Good morning everyone.

It was nice and bright earlier on and now rain is tthreatening again, just as I'm about to go outside to work.  Just brought the laundry in as I didn't want it to get soaked so it's in the drier to finish off.  Temp had dropped back to the mid 50's too which is a bit chilly for shorts and t shirtSad  With luck it won't come to anything untol this evening and then it's supposed to rain all thru' the night and tomorrow morning  Despite all we got yesterday, there don't appear to be any squishy bits in the garden - we really needed it.

I'm glad my mention of strawberries yesterday brought back good memories for many of you.  We actually have wild strawberries on our property but they are so tiny but I must admit very tasty.  Birdy it must have taken you and your Mother for ever to pick a quarts worth.

We have friends coming for lunch tomorrow and I'm thinking it will be a strawberry rhubarb pie for dessertBig Smile and we still have some rhubarb ice cream to go with it.  No idea what we'll have before that - I suppose we should have something elseSurprise???  or could a group of oldies just have dessert and be done with it.

On that thought I'm off to garden.  I want to split some of the perennials ready for the yard sale.  Have a great day,

Tasty

False

Good morning;

Beema-- That creek area is not designed for camping or picnicing actually so, No, they don't have any trash cans around.  We have quite a few wilderness/hiking areas. It just makes me so furious that so many abuse the privelege of having them.  I suppose thats why they are free (so far) if they did supply trash cans then they would also have to hire someone with a truck, to gather them all up. Which is why it would no longer be free.  I could just hear all the whining and complaining if and when they started charging! 

Birder -- Yes! I have picked wild strawberries.  Hated it. they are so tiny. I hate picking any kind of berries, especially strawberries. It's too hard on my back. Even as a kid I found it too hard on the back. When I was a single mom I used to pick blueberries and blackberries and make a lot of jam or jelly as the berries and jars  were free and  and I was scraping pennies, lol.

I started tearing up the carpet in one of my bedrooms. It's hardwood underneath. It's going to be a big job but I'm glad I started it. I always keep the window open a bit in that bedroom so my cats could come and go when they need to. Unfortunately I used to have the odd tom cat coming and going as well so that carpet definitely needs to go. Having the dogs now, solved that problem, lol.

Does anyone know how to get the black from the underpad off? I'm not sure if it's glue or what. I suppose eventually I will have to rent a sander. but I assume I have to get that black stuff off first. I'm having to cut the carpet up in smaller peices so I can disgard it as I don't have anyway of getting a whole role to the dump. I plan on taking the indoor/outdoor carpet on the sundeck off as well. Both good projects to keep me busy.

Well gotta run and get started after putting a load of wash in.

False

Wicker - I don't know - I would probably go to hardware store and ask - they should know. Lilly

False

Well friends, I made a monumental decision that cost me $300 today and I think it may provide me with a life over the next three months. So, please support me.

You know this year has worn me out. Not only is my boss a tumor in my side (old saying of a charge nurse I used to work for in the ED), the time I have spent on preparing for classes has sucked the life out of me.

I have been working on this review book for some time - and there is just too much still to do - and that is not being the perfectionist speaking.

So I went to Amazon - looked up the cost of a review book (one I already have) and $20. was the cost. So my gift to my students and to myself was to purchase one for each student that they will keep - and I will make them write in! No review book is ever complete - so yes there will be additional stuff -    but now I feel like I can handle it. And I can enjoy life.

Suddenly the sky brightened and a huge burden was lifted off of me. I am happy for the first time since I can't remember. (Well I am always happy when I am in class with them!) And next year it will be part of their book requirements.

I was to the point of being exhausted all the time - part of it is probably depression over all of this work - never seeing an end or getting a break. And when I did get a break I didn't want to or feel like doing anything - so I would sit. (BTW - FT instructors get an entire term off every year - I work more than the FT person and I get no time off! Which means no time to get recharged)

Whew - I just feel so much better. I can organize my school work now. I already cleaned the refrigerator, planned dinner, and cleaned the kitchen - including mopping the floor. I need to go through the 20 tubs of clothing my son brought up from the basement - that I need to mostly get rid of (having a 4 foot closet is just not right).

So, I just wanted to share this with you. I am going to do some more organizing and then sit down to read or crochet a new dishcloth.

Lilly

False

Lilly, if this gives you peace of mind  and contentment, it was money well spent  Big Smile,

Tasty

PS Now enjoy the rest of your weekend.

False

Amen, Lilly....  but don't make a habit of spending that kind of money trying to make your job easier; you will be defeating the purpose of working for a pay check.  But, I agree - this time.

Wicker, I have taken up lots of carpeting over the years, and never has the padding anything "black" on it.  I am wondering if the when it was put down, they used some type of adhesive to hold it in place.  If that is the case, it will take a really strong solution to remove it, which may do damage to the hardwood floors.  I'd talk with a professional, but it appears using a sander will be your best bet.  And, if the cats had been urinating in that room, that may also be imbedded in the padding, which may have left the floor a darker color than it should be.   That's quite an undertaking, so go slowly. 

My grandmother's produce stand, at the end of the driveway to her farm, was the only fresh produce stand within five miles, so we did quite a rousing business.  Strawberries was our mainstay, selling over 100 quarts every weekend, when the stand was open.  Corn, rhubarb, watermelon, raspberries, cucumbers, green beans, grapes, pears, potatoes, tomatoes, beets, radishes, and apples - quite a productive farm.

Well, things here are moving along...  the dips and cheese spreads are made, the sloppy joe mix is cooling (tomorrow, I will put it in the slow cooker to keep it warm and to serve from), and I am going to cook the meat for the chili in just a few minutes.  Then tomorrow, the rest will be easy. 

If any of you were fans of Robert B. Parker's Spenser novels, you will be happy to know that the author selected to continue writitng the series, Ace Atkins, has captured the voice, the rhythm, the sense of humor, everything about Spenser we loved, Even Susan, Hawk and Vinnie are perfect.  LULLABY is a winner.

Now, time for me to run along, get back to work, and then think about dinner.  Probably the last of the leftovers.    

False

♥ Life is a song, sing it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a dream, realize it, Life is a sacrifice, offer it. Life is love, enjoy it. And, life is cooking, eat it. (Sai Baba & Judy)

♥ Judy Batson, Volunteer Field Editor, Taste of Home, 2009 ♥ Contest Winner, Country Woman, 2011♥ Meet me at Cooking for Two.

Never mind about my question as to how to get the black residue off from the carpet underpad. It's not glue. I soaked it this morning and scraped it with putty knife. It comes off easily. It will be interesting to see how well this old wood comes up after sanding and revarnishing.

My friend and I went to a large garden centre this afternoon. I just bought some miracle grow but she bought a lot of plants etc. It was a nice drive. Then she treated me to supper.

False

Good Sunday Morning, Gang ~  It's Party Day at Beema's House...  and, I'm ready.  Just a few things to do ahead and then a few items to pop into the oven and to put together just before things get underway.  I feel good, too, and that is very good news.  And, the weather will cooperate, as well - just going into the high 80's today, and the humidity level should be down a bit.  But, after all that rain from earlier in the week, the mosquitos are out there and hungry.  I am going to see what some yard spray might do to get rid of some of them.

Wicker, that's great, to have that stuff come up so easily.  Good for you for trying the easy way first. 

I need to get the chili in the crock pot going....  so, have a great day, and if I will probably have time to jump back in for a few minutes to see what you guys are doing.  Take care.

False