☼ WE LOVE TO CHAT 11/12 ☼ | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

☼ WE LOVE TO CHAT 11/12 ☼

Last post Nov 18, 2012 5:27 PM by Beema . 62 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 4 of 5 (63 items) 12345
  • Re: ☼ WE LOVE TO CHAT 11/12 ☼

Good Morning All:  A Cool 26.0° here this morning - supposed to get some warmer today (light jacket or sweater weather). I think the sun is lurking.

Cali has been been fed and I am having a cup of coffee before I get this day started. I need to putter inside and outside today - so lets see how much I get done!  I need to make a loaf of bread (haven't decided whether to do dough and make a small loaf, rolls and a hamburger bun - which I haven't done - had this brilliant idea to flatten a piece into a nice thinlike round shape and see if it works and bake in toaster oven. Wish me luck!!

Had a good Dentist appointment and got the "pill situation ironed out without any problem". The Dentist was pleased how the work they have done on my teeth has paid off (not sure if I was a guinea pig or what). It is a very pleasant atmosphere (he has helpers that does alot of the work - he supervises) - the Dental Hygienist worked for my Original Dentist so I have known her for eons.

I picked up a  Better Homes and Gardens Cooking For One Or Two (at GW near Vets office) yesterday with some really good ideas/recipes. Especially like the fact that each recipe has ingredients in a column side by side for One Serving or Two Servings with directions underneath so you don't have to deal with cutting down a recipe.  

CUL

False

It's 5:30 Friday evening and I am so tired of talking insurance I could scream.  First, as it pertained to Jean and then renewing Aune's insurance for next year.... and then dealing with Jean's bank to get their approval on the Power of Attorney for me to pay her bills.  And, then Tom called and wanted me to help him set up a bank account so he could get direct deposit for his paychecks....  So, basically all day was spent doing stuff to help others.

I did have the forethought to start a soup simmering...  so our dinner tonight is a hamburger soup with mushrooms, veggies, in a base of beef stock and canned tomato soup.  I am going to add a bit of barley to thicken it, and maybe one of the teeny tiny pastas made just for soups. 

No time for me to look at the  previous posts, other than just a glance, but I will read them tomorrow before I run up to see Jean...  I am hoping the traffic on a Saturday will be better than it was last Wednesday. 

For now, have a great evening, and I will see you in the morning. 

False

♥ Life is a song, sing it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a dream, realize it, Life is a sacrifice, offer it. Life is love, enjoy it. And, life is cooking, eat it. (Sai Baba & Judy)

♥ Judy Batson, Volunteer Field Editor, Taste of Home, 2009 ♥ Contest Winner, Country Woman, 2011♥ Meet me at Cooking for Two.

Good Evening! Got off 45 minutes early - that's rare and nice on a Friday evening. It was a good day - each one passes so fast - and we only had one run! Took an hour to get to the hospital though and then an hour to transport - very ill, but stable. We worked on studying policies, going over equipment, etc.

I still need some sick, unstable patients - now before I am out of orientation. Sad My preceptor is going to Haiti on a mission trip in February - the hospital sends people for three weeks - I hope I can go in 2014. Big Smile

The rest of the evening I think I will organize my class and work stuff - so I can be ready to study this weekend - have a horrid test on Monday. I need to get my dining room ready and then we will just about be ready - Jon will give the house a once over, dust, mop and clean bathrooms. I need to get those towels (maybe tomorrow) and make sure we have some sheets - which I am sure we do - I know I have enough blankets.

I guess tomorrow I should finalize the menu and get my time plan into place. Jon is such a big help. I told him I wish I could do three 12 hour shifts and have him quit work or work one 12 hour day a week - and take care of house! Now he needs a few cooking lessons - because chili and sloppy joes just would not cut it!!! Wink In less than a year he will be 59 1/2 - and so there will be changes!

Well, I'd better get organized here - see you in the am!

Lilly

False

Good Saturday Morning, Everyone ~ another overcast day, with a 30% chance of rain this afternoon.  Temps are starying in the 70's dropping down only into the low 60"s at night.  I was hoping for a sunny day today...  but I don't think we will see the sun at all the way it looks now.

Aune is off this weekend, ergo both she and I slept late, in fact, she just peeked out her door, and went back to bed.  One of the persons on the housekeeping staff is going to be out for several weeks recovering from surgery, and they have asked Aune to take his place, letting others take turns doing Aune's unit.  This will certainly give her a break from the stress that she is under, would be Mon thru Fri, but it is an area that she has never worked in - the surgical unit, which is both the pre-op and post-op areas, but not the surgeries themselves.  She is a bit timid in new places, but luckily she knows some of the nurses from working on other floors.  She's been with the hospital for 15 years, and just about everyone knows Aune. 

The soup I made for dinner last night was soooooo good.  First time that I had combined beef broth with a can ot tomato soup and I liked the results.  I used about three cups of broth to the one can of soup...  perfect.

Today, I am driving up to see Jean again...  traffic should be much better today, being a Saturday and not a work day, or at least that is my hope.  I would actually rather go tomorrow, but Randall is scheduled to do a little work for me to get things spiffy for Thursday.  There may be shoppers out but hopefully not as many commercial vehicles, which are the ones that tend to whip in and out of traffic lanes with little regard for others.

Lilly, you certainly seem more on top of the world these days.  That's good.  You sound happy, eager, excited, and content.... 

Coffee is ready....  and here it is almost daylight and I am still in my jammies.  See you later, and have a wonderful Saturday.

False

♥ Life is a song, sing it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a dream, realize it, Life is a sacrifice, offer it. Life is love, enjoy it. And, life is cooking, eat it. (Sai Baba & Judy)

♥ Judy Batson, Volunteer Field Editor, Taste of Home, 2009 ♥ Contest Winner, Country Woman, 2011♥ Meet me at Cooking for Two.

Good morning, all. Another cold morning--23F, partly cloudy, with frost all over everything. I had to laugh--the weather forecasters are starting to make comments about taking a vacation next week since there is so little change expected for the 7-day. I can live with that!

Lilly--you're definitely sounding chipper despite being so busy. I think being given a challenge just revs you up a notch! Go for it.

Beema--hope your drive today is less hair-raising. Dealing with all that insurance stuff yesterday would have driven me up the wall. My least favorite thing to do but you seem to come out of it relatively unscathed! I like your soup idea and may have to try it. Now that it's chilly I'm enjoying soup for lunch these days. I have some veggies and mushrooms in the fridge that need to be used up so it would be a good time to do it.

Time to get going and putter around some more. I have some errands to run and then I think I'll put on the soup. Talk to you later.

False

Good Morning All:  Temp is 28.0° here at the moment. There was some stars out when I got up and the sky looks  bright behind the trees (hope that means sun a bit later). Cali has been fed and I am having a cup of coffee (still in my fuzzy robe). I did sleep quite good last night but am surprised because I lazed around most of yesterday because I just couldn't get warm.

Today I "must" make that loaf of bread that I was going to make or a small loaf and some rolls. Yesterday I copied recipe clones for Twinkes, etc. I guess Wonder Bread is closing its doors - maybe someone will buy it and continue to make Twinkes, Ho Hos, Hostess Cup Cakes, Snowballs, etc. Wonder where all the people who worked there will find new jobs. I did get some Copycat recipes and I have a Hostess Twinkie kit. You need a "Canoe pan" to make Twinkies.

CUL 

False

Good Morning! Almost finished organizing my things. The terrible test on Monday is on drugs and so I think I might make a comparison chart and then I can put it with the binder I will carry everyday that I work!

It is 35 here and clear blue skies.

I think someone will buy the Hostess brand. Hard to believe that 18,500 people lost their jobs. I do not think the new company will hire these people. The company has been in financial ruin for a few years and filed to reorganize. The judge over the case approved the changes - which included a 8% decrease in employee's pay. So the labor union said no - this would be the beginning of the end for all labor - we will take it on the chin so others will see....at least that is what I read in The Daily. I bet there are some not so happy employees - and when they find out how little unemployment really gives you....and at this time of the year. Well, I think I would have been upset but taken the change in pay with maybe a stipulation that it would be temporary or renegotiated rather than be out of work - oh I wouldn't be happy about it....Stepping Off the Soap Box....Whoops - of course their are two sides to every story - and.......who knows the real truth. I of course - having been through the strangest few years of employment am grateful to have a job with insurance and other benefits! Break a leg Andrea. (Just kidding Wink)

Well, not sure what today will bring - I might hold off on Wally World until tmoorrow am......waiting to hear back how old my nephews who are coming are.....and need to figure out what kind of batteries to get.....so will study for now.

Have a great day.

Lilly

False

Good Afternoon, Everyone.  oh, what a beautiful day it has turned out to be.  Sunny, a bit of a mild breeze, low humidity, and very agreeable temps.  Today is a shining example of why people live in Florida. 

The drive up to see Jean was just as hectic today as it was the first time.  I am not surprised that this roadway is infamous for its accident rate.  Jean was in fairly good spirits today, and getting a bit antsy with herself, getting mad at not being able to move more, and do more for herself.  She is a stubborn mule, which is probably one reason she's still around...  some of the things she has endured would have undone many others with less determination.  She has a wicked sense of humor and I got her to laughing today, which I think is good for her, despite the fact that she said it hurts to laugh. 

My Jeep began making a funny sound the other day, and today it got louder so I guess I have to take it to the shop on Monday.  Performance doesn't seem to be affected in the least, and I am at a loss to diagnose the source....  just hope it's something easily (and cheaply) fixed.

It is a sad tale when an iconic company such as Hostess faces demise.  Frankly, many times it is the employees themselves that bring about the downfall, as well as the general economic temperatures, by demanding unmerited pay increases, out of balance with the company's overall profits.  Some industries have solved that problem by out-sourcing the manufacturing to areas with a cheaper labor pool, but that is all but impossible with bakery products.  As for the sweet products, I won't miss them at all, but Wonder Bread, my goodness, there is nothing like a slice of fresh Wonder Bread.... 

I think I told you guys that when I was a kid, my grandmother kept us during the summers at her farm, and we loved to go to A & P with her to do the grocery shopping...  she'd always buy a big loaf of Wonder Bread, and one time I was so overcome with desire for that soft white bread that I opened the bag and ate the inner circle of half of the loaf, leaving only the outer crusts intact, and closed up the bag.  Grandma thought a mouse had eaten thru the bread and took it back to the store.  I am not sure if she ever found out that I was that little mouse. 

Well, it is either leftovers or take out.  I am NOT going to cook tonight. 

Tomorrow morning, Randall is coming, and my list of things for him to do keeps growing.  No one big thing, just lots of little jobs.  You know how that gets. 

Time to move along....  see you all in the morning.  Have a great evening. 

False

When I was a kid we could hardly wait to trick or treat at one man's house. He worked at Wonder Bread and would give out the cutest miniature loaves of Wonder Bread. We all liked that better than all of the other treats that we got. It will be odd that "the bread that helps build strong bodies 12 ways" won't be on the store shelves anymore.
    False

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
    -Will Rogers

I am playing around with "Wonder Bread"* - wonder how it will turn out Wink - using my Betty Crocker Breadmachine Roll recipe and making all kinds of size rolls, etc. I have a 6 cup muffin pan, a tiny loaf pan, a round pan (hope for a hamburger size roll/bun) and a pan with 12 small rolls (usually do that recipe in a 9 x 13 pan and make 12 or 15 rolls - regular size). Hope my experiment turns out okay.  Can't go to wrong with that B C recipe. I need to play around with that recipe and freeze unbaked rolls. *Just kidding!!!!  Just started preheat so in a few minutes I will start baking the pans of breads.

Beema: Glad you got there and back safely.  You are much braver than me.  I only drive mostly local. I can drive in Indy but don't if I can help it except when I go to the Dr. and drive 86th St. but I am used to that drive. I still do my appointments by myself so I can - just not thrilled about it.

P.S.  My hamburger bun was a winner!!!

False

GOOD SUNDAY MORNING, SLEEPY KITCHENETTAS ~  Tampa is at 62° right now with a high of 77 today under mostly sunny skies.  Perfect day ahead for Randall to be working in the yard !

Geema, I am sure that just about any bread product you tackle will be a winner.  Bread is obviously your specialty, you take pride in your work and always add the love.  Good for you, girl!

Had some of the most bizarre dreams last night, two of which actually woke me up thinking they were real.  Sometimes I think I am going nuts, or maybe I am already and haven't figured it out yet.  Embarrassed  Part of it I think is coming from a book I am ready where the victim is buried under 12 feet of dirt, in a coffin, with a small breathing tube for air, with water and breakfast bars as her only source of food....  BURIED SECRETS by Joseph Finder.

I am so far behind in my routines in preparing for the dinner on Thursday.  But, luckily I will have help - Randall today to get the outside spiffy, and then tomorrow, Tracy, my cleaning lady, is coming and she can help me move the furniture around to make room for the big dining table arrangement.  It's a put together table made up of the portable folding tables - my family likes us all to be at the same table if possible, and luckily I can usually arrange that.  Last Christmas was the exception, but it worked out okay.    And, with my Jeep going in to the shop tomorrow, I will have to stay at home and concentrate on my plans, mainly getting the tables all set, and figuring out the serving table arrangements.  I pretty much follow the same routine every year, and have things actually drawn out on a chart, but there are always little changes here and there.

I will check back later this morning to see what everyone is talking about....  see you later.

False

Good Morning All - temp is 32.1°. Stars and moon was out nice and bright - too early for the sun!

Slept very good last night. Don't have anything special on my agenda today!!  So will CUL!

False

Good morning! It's 20F, clear, very frosty, and totally calm. This will be another peaceful clear day with highs in the 40's. I'm not used to all this sun--it doesn't seem like November. Smile

Beema--seems to me you need to find something a little lighter and more benign to read before bed. I bought a couple of Kerry Greenwood's Phryne Fisher books for my Nook as a special treat. I'm enjoying re-reading them. Believe it or not, I've forgotten how this first one ended. I will have to explore what's available digitally at the library so see if there's anything there I want to read. 

Geema--that's what I love about yeast baking. You can experiment (within reason, of course), shape it any way you want and still get good results. Nice when you're trying for portion control.

I bought some "Take-and-Bake" garlic knots at the market yesterday to have with my soup and salads. I baked one in the toaster oven for lunch--you could probably smell the garlic outside the house but the roll was gooood! One of my earliest memories of rolls were the Hostess brown-and-serve that my mother made all the time. Remember them?

Another early memory of Hostess was the bakery that used to be about 2 miles from the house. We always enjoyed driving by because of the wonderful aroma of yeasty baking bread. Then they decided that it was environmental pollution and made them use filters to contain the emissions--no more yummy breezes. I wonder how many kids today have ever enjoyed the smell of fresh-baked bread. A loss in my opinion.

Of course, considering the shelf-life of Twinkies there will probably be some for sale for years. I can just see it now--people hoarding them as an investment as a collectible. Smile I never liked them much but every year or so I'd buy a pack of the creme-filled cupcakes. I will miss them.

Beema--I've been playing with ideas for your hamburger soup recipe to make today for supper. I don't have condensed tomato soup but I like Progresso High-Fiber Creamy Tomato Basil which is ready to eat. I think I'll use that and cut down on the amount of beef broth to compensate. I'm going to be careful about how much barley I put in--I always overdo it and have to thin like crazy after it sits for a while. And there's that endless bag of kale to use up and one little zucchini. That's what I like about soup--it's so forgiving.

I've been enjoying hearing from those of you planning your Thanksgiving dinners with the precision of a military operation. Way to go! I can see you've done this before. Smile I will be one of those on the receiving end, instead. I'm wimping out on my contribution by buying some nice cooked shrimp for the appetizer. One year I got fancy and brought both traditional shrimp cocktail sauce and some lovely remoulade. Except for myself and my brother, no one would even taste the remoulade--they are not an adventurous group--so just plain old red cocktail sauce this year. Anyone have a good recipe that might be a little different but won't shock the traditionalists? Big Smile

I've finished my coffee and need to shake a tail. Have a good Sunday--talk to you later. 

False

Birdy:  Now you went and did it!!!  Had to go out and see what it entailed into making Garlic Knots!!  I see Garlic Knots in my future (how soon - don't know - when the whim hits me I guess). Looks pretty simple. http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/garlic_knots/  I think I could use my Betty Crocker Breadmachine Roll recipe and make a variety of rolls from 1 batch. Hmmmmmm

False

I never cared for Twinkes, either.  I bet 20 years from now they'll still be selling on Ebay!  But the Twinkies I really did like but haven't seen around here for many, many years are the devil's food Twinkies.  They tasted exactly like the Hostess cupcakes with the white swirl on the top, but no frosting.  That's why I liked them so much cause I always used to take the frosting off of the cupcakes, and by then there wasn't much left.

We went to a wedding last night and the music was horrible.  Well, the music was nice, but the volume!!!!!!  You could barely talk.  My whole neck and throat are sore cause you had to really shout to be heard.  I don't know what kind of fool I made of myself, but sometimes I'd be talking to someone and didn't have a clue what they were saying but just nodded my head, or said 'wow', or 'really'. They might have thought I was crazy, or else couldn't hear my dumb comments anyway. I've never been to a wedding where you could barely talk!  Just horrible. 

Then there was a dance that all my kids told us to come and dance.  We're not dancers and the way I was feeling I was having trouble just sitting in the chair so I really didn't want to dance.  Anyway, the kids said that we'd only be dancing a couple of seconds cause whoever was married the longest were supposed to sit down as they called out the years.  My kids know that we don't like to be in any sort of spotlight.  So the DJ started with whoever was married less than 5 years go sit down.  Well that's just the opposite of what my darling kids told us!!!  So then it was 10, then 15 and so on.  All my kids were sitting at the table laughing their dear little heads off.  So we ended up being the only ones dancing with my nephew and his new bride...47 years!  So much for not liking the spotlight.  I just might have to skip their Christmas presents this year  Super Angry

False

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
    -Will Rogers