♫WE LOVE TO CHAT 12/24♫ | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

♫WE LOVE TO CHAT 12/24♫

Last post Dec 30, 2012 5:24 PM by Beema . 43 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 2 of 3 (44 items) 123
  • Re: ♫WE LOVE TO CHAT 12/24♫

Good morning all.

The snow that Mac will have today will make its way over to us bu late afternoon and dump close to 8" by tomorrow morning, so we're told.  After it passes by us, it will be on to you Birdy.  And I guess it is the same storm that will be visiting Geema. too. Share and share alike Wink

We had a lovely day yesterday but I am ready for a fairly quiet day today.  I really do need to check what's in the fridge and see what we have to eat for the next few days.  I know there is lots, I just don't want to waste any of it.

Mac, have a lovely day with the grandkids today and Beema, hope you get to relax too.

Talk to you later,

Tasty

False

Good Morning All: We got snow - I would guess maybe 3 inches of light fluffy stuff. If we are going to have snow that is the kind I like. I am such a grump!  It is a bit breezy - the pines are moving a bit. Cali only stayed out long enough to go to her pen to do her business. Wink  It is still snowing steadily.

I am having a cup of coffee and think I will fix bacon and an egg and make toast with the bread. I used 2 T of Idahoan Applewood Smoked Bacon flavored mash potato flakes in it and talk about something smelling good while baking. I did resist cutting it last night.

Got a note from Devin on the computer. She did go out last night and found toilet paper and a few other items and no more than got home and was "sick". Thanks Kevin!! No I just hope the boys doesn't get it too.

Birdy: I guess by making a loaf of bread and filling a jug of water I sidetracked the "worst" of the weather!! I can HOPE at least!!  Wink  Oh the blabber mouths - that is why I don't do Facebook!!  Well, at least they must have liked the cookbook and that is a +!!

Barb and Andy gave me a new pillow with "ZZZZ" ($$$$) on it and I wasn't too sure about it BUT I sure did sleep good last night. It is soft but firm too.

I heard that part of Texas got snow. So stay safe ALL no matter where you live!!

CUL

False

Forgive me, and i don't mean to gloat, but, Ladies, it is 70° and sunny in Tampa Florida as we speak.  Come on down, y'all.  (Please, stay safe, and warm)

Today was a good day.  Took me about three hours to get all the dishes washed and put away, and Jen and Ray came over and helped me rearrange all the furniture back to the standard order.  It took me another two hours after that to do all the detail changes, like putting the lamps,  table decor, and other minor things back where they belong.  Now, my house looks like a home again instead of a party central.  I did some cleaning in the process, as you would expect. 

Around noon, we had a rather strong storm pass through, and luckily I was home.  I dislike driving when I cannot see where I am going, and I know had I been on the road during that storm, I would not have been able to see three feet ahead of me.  But, it only lasted 20 minutes or so, enough for us to get 3/4" of rain.  Nice.  A cool front is behind that rain, so our temp[s will drop a bit tonight for some good sleeping weather.

I had to help Jean today, to make a major decision - to let one of her two "sitters" go.  I can't recall if I mentioned this here before or not, and I am too tired now to go back and look, but the night time lady, Luz, is a woman from Columbia (the country) and is obsessive compulsive about cleaning...  she not only cleans, she "organizes" which means that she stuffs things into closets and no one can find anything that they are used to having at their hand when needed.  Compounding the fact that Luz has invaded and reorganized Jean's entire house, her language ability seems to vary depending on the situation (in other words, she understands when she wants to).   Tomorrow and Friday, I wll be trying to put every thing back where they are supposed to be....

And, planning for a New Year's Eve party, here.  Keeps me young, you know....

See you in the morning.

False

♥ Life is a song, sing it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a dream, realize it, Life is a sacrifice, offer it. Life is love, enjoy it. And, life is cooking, eat it. (Sai Baba & Judy)

♥ Judy Batson, Volunteer Field Editor, Taste of Home, 2009 ♥ Contest Winner, Country Woman, 2011♥ Meet me at Cooking for Two.

GOOD THURSDAY MORNING, EVERYONE!  We are waking up to a cool morning here in Tampa, 48°, with a high of only 62 predicted.  But, we will have full sun most of the day, with another front moving thru on Saturday with more rain.  The rain we had at noon yesterday was hard, fast and rather furious, producing just 3/4" of rain, and lasted just a few minutes.  But, I am reading that the winter storms will be rather harsh and some severe in your nothern states.  Be safe and stay warm.

I have the days all mixed up...  when Christmas isn't on a Sunday, it still feels like a Sunday to me, and then the rest of the week is a muddle.  I could have sworn yesterday was Monday, and I had to keep reminding myself that it wasn't.  That was brought home to me quickly when I got a call from Lori, the lady who shampoos my hair every Wednesday wondering why I had missed my appointment.  Egad, talk about feeling dumb !!!  Tongue Tied

Jean has lab work that is scheduled for today, so I will drive her there, and I am taking Tracy, too, and Tracy will go with her inside to the appointment.  Parking is always so hard at that lab, and the last thing I need is to fall in the parking lot, walking to the front door.  The last time I took her there (same building where her doctor is located), I had to leave her at the entrance, while I finally found a place to park...  it was at least two city blocks away.  Funny, I can be on my feet in my house all day long, and never feel that I might fall, but parking lots, with their various low areas for drainage seem to keep me unsure of myself, even with my cane. 

Last night for dinner, I began to use some of the party leftovers...  I had a rice dish with garden veggies to which I added some ham bits and some vegetable broth, and made a decent soup.  Nice on a cool evening.  We had a few biscuits left, which we used for sopping up the last bit of the juices from the soup.  Yum. 

Time to go...  it is time for me to roust Aune out of bed, which is no easy task (poor dear).  See you later.  Have a good day, and please, stay out of the snow drifts. 

False

♥ Life is a song, sing it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a dream, realize it, Life is a sacrifice, offer it. Life is love, enjoy it. And, life is cooking, eat it. (Sai Baba & Judy)

♥ Judy Batson, Volunteer Field Editor, Taste of Home, 2009 ♥ Contest Winner, Country Woman, 2011♥ Meet me at Cooking for Two.

Good morning, Beema and all! It's gonna be hard to stay out of the snowdrifts--sometime today I've got to get out there with the blower and shovel and clear out this mess. But for now it's coffee and feeling cozy in the house. We've got 10" on the ground with another 3-5" expected for today but not the heavy snowfall rate of last night. It was coming down 2-3" an hour there for a while. The police are busy having cars towed off the streets because of those brain-dead people who ignore a snow-emergency/all-cars-off-the-street order. The plow hasn't found us yet since this is a 1-block side street with lower priority than the main emergency routes.

No problem--I wasn't planning to go anywhere today and maybe not tomorrow, anyway. I don't mind snow all that much since I've retired (check with me in March, though Smile.) It's trying to figure out where to put it at the end of a long winter when I run out of room that presents problems. About then Florida is looking pretty good.

How about the rest of you in snow country? Did you get socked in? As usual with the aftermath of a Nor'Easter, the storm rotates counterclockwise so winds will be shifting to the northwest this afternoon and we will be getting backlash snow off of the lake. Happens every time. In other words, a typical snow for us and the first big one in over a year. The people who rely on the skiers and snowmobilers are doing a happy dance.

Beema, I can understand the problem with having someone else in your house with you 24/7. When my Mom was in hospice, we had people helping with housework and sitting with her when I couldn't be home. One Bosnian lady was very nice but I could tell that she was not impressed with the level of my housekeeping skills. I was fortunate that with a 2-story home she concentrated on downstairs where my mother's bedroom was and I had upstairs to myself. I hope that you won't have problems finding a substitute for the woman you had to let go--or is Jean at a point where she can get along without her?

Well, another cup of coffee is calling to me. I'll talk to you all later.

False

Good Morning All:  Temp is 27.8° and when all is said and done we got 7 inches +/-.  I hope I can get out or someone come and get me to get meds for Cali and I - she might have enough until I can get out on my own but I will need mine sooner - I will call mine in and hope I can get out or someone take me - and call Cali's in and maybe Alisa can slip over and get them for me. On second thought I doubt if I can get out of my drive with 7 inches of snow so will have to get it plowed or someone will HAVE to come and get me that has 4 wheel drive.  Crying  Otherwise I am just fine as long as I have heat, computer and phone (can eat ou t of freezer and cabinets - might not be what I want but it will DO)!!

Have a good day all!!

False

Good Thursday morning, gang.  Boy, winter has arrived with a vengeance.  I really have no idea how much snow we have had as the wind is blowing and has been doing so all night.  But, the snow on the back deck is halfway up the patio doorSurprise The temperature at the moment is only 22F - not cosy at all.  However, we have power which is good altho' we have the fireplace if the power should go out so we won't be cold.  Internet was intermiitent last evening and was out when we got up this morning.  Guess it will come and go, depending on how the wind blows.

Hope you can get someone to plow your driveway Geema but I also hope that one of your family will pick up the meds for you and Cali so you don't have to go out.

Stay cosy and warm, Birdy. Don't know about you but it's still snowing here and not much point trying to clear the snow yet.  We are supposed to be visiting friends for dinner tonight so we do want to get out later.  Maybe it will stop for us Wink I'm thinking that Mac must have had the same weather too.

Beema, does Jean need another carer or is she doing well enough by herself?  It's not fair when someone, who thinks she is being helpful, messes everything up.

Stay warm and safe,

Tasty

False

Tasty--It's not coming down quite so heavily the past 1/2 hour so maybe it'll wind down some. Although there will probably be that wrap-around effect later as the storm heads into the Maritimes. I don't think the wind would be the direction to give you much but off the lake there might be some more for us. I looked at the weather map over your area this morning and could see that you were getting pretty much the same kind of weather. Winter sure went from nothing to "va-voom" fast, didn't it? I am really loving those heated seats in the Subaru. Where have they been all my life!? Now if I could figure out how to attach a plow to my Outback, it would be perfect. Big Smile Big Smile

I decided to postpone shoveling, too, since we got at least 3 inches after I posted this morning and it's still coming down, although lighter. I measured earlier and I already had 13 inches in the driveway where it hadn't drifted. That's more than a tad higher than they were predicting last night when I went to bed.

We have a wonderful neighbor up the street who enjoys using his snowblower. He always goes up and down the street doing the front walk in front of the entire block on our side. That was really helpful--I took a shovel and cleared the porch and the walk into it and made a single path in the driveway out to the street for the mail carrier. The plow found us and I have a pile about waist high there that will have to be moved. I'll wait until after lunch just in case the plow comes around again and go out with the blower. Good thing I don't have anywhere to be today because I'm not getting there.

Geema--do you have any senior services around you that would help with clearing the driveway and/or getting your meds to you? Or a drugstore that will deliver? We have a central clearing house in the city that helps with finding volunteers for those things. Since my meds are all long-term, I fortunate that I can mail-order mine through my insurance--they give a good price break for doing it and I don't have to worry about not being able to get out of the house. 

Beema--enjoy going out to your car or even in the yard without taking 5 minutes to suit up for the weather. I'm pretty sure I won't be doing that until at least April. No Now, no more whining from me. I was complaining plenty this summer when it got up to 103. At least I can put clothes on for the cold--there's just so much you can take off when it's hot! Big Smile

I've got to come up for something for supper--which will be a nice comfort-food choice, I'm sure. Have a good day, everyone, and stay cozy and dry if you're dealing with the snow.

False

Hubby ploughed the driveway and shovelled the front walkway while I had another shovel and tackled the back deck.  There sure was a lot of snow there, but it was nice light stuff, not the real heavy wet snow, thank goodness.  I'm sure I will feel even this tomorrow but, what can you do?  I certainly wasn't cold when I came in.

Hopefully the plough will make it to our road later on - no-one has been down here at all yet.  I'm sure the streets in town have all been done by now but we are so far out we do have to wait a while.  The snow in the roadway is about 8 - 10" deep so we won't be going anywhere unless it does come by. 

Hmmm As I was writing the above, the phone rang and our friends are postponing their dinner from tonight and the plough went by when I was talking to her so now we need to get out and redo the end of the driveway Surprise

I'll be back,

Tasty

False

Good Morning To All !!!

I hope everyone had a wonderful & Merry Christmas!!!

~ Susan

False

NYBirder

Geema--do you have any senior services around you that would help with clearing the driveway and/or getting your meds to you? Or a drugstore that will deliver? We have a central clearing house in the city that helps with finding volunteers for those things. Since my meds are all long-term, I fortunate that I can mail-order mine through my insurance--they give a good price break for doing it and I don't have to worry about not being able to get out of the house. 

I wish "we" had the "little smilies guy that rolls around on the floor laughing"!!! (that one of the other sites I go to has). Are you implying that I am a Senior Citizen!! Wink  I think that I can get out of the garage BUT not out of the driveway plus a hill and curves to get to the highway (I don't do icy and slick). Devin may come later** (after she takes the little one to the Dr for his appointment) and run up and down my driveway - then if I want to get out I can. In the meantime I called my prescription in (can get tomorrow - someone will take me or pick it up) and I called for Cali's meds and for a fee they will mail it (good deal as it is about 15 miles each way so is worth the extra $$ of about $6. +/- to have it mailed). I could do mail order meds for me but I prefer going to the drugstore at Walmart. ** Mommies can't stay sick - they have to be a Mother first and just do what you have to do!!

Did I say we got about 7 inches and they called it a blizzard?? Surprise  CUL

False

Oh, oh! Am I in trouble? Smile Now that I'm officially past the 65 mark, I'm taking advantage of any perk I can get associated with it (makes up for the other stuff that comes along, too.)

Whew! I did it. It just took me over 1 1/2 hours to clear out the driveway all the way to the street. It's still snowing lightly but we won't get too much more. I saved the stuff left from the plow at the street for last because it is the worst and I was hoping the plow would have come through again so I wouldn't have to do it twice. Nope--so to work I went.

I have a neighbor across the way who I really don't know except for friendly waves. He and his wife moved here from NJ to be near children and grandkids--English is a second language. They have been nice neighbors--no issues whatsoever except for a couple pet rabbits that kept going AWOL and ending up in everyone's yard. Anyway, he was out doing his own driveway so I gave him a friendly wave and went back to breaking down the big pile left from the plow so my blower could handle it. All of a sudden I heard this roar and here he comes with his big blower, waves me aside, and proceeds to clear it out bigtime with lots of room. What a nice thing to do! It would have taken me another half hour to finish without that. 

Sammy made a break for it when I first went out and hadn't cleared anything yet. The little brat. I managed to grab him before he got down the steps--he wasn't happy and told me so. You'd think a cat that was a rescue in the middle of a terrible winter would remember that misery and appreciate being indoors. I should have let him plow through the snow--it was twice as high as he stands. Would have served him right. Smile I just didn't want to have to chase him down.

The other adventure I had today was getting trapped in my coat. I have an LL Bean ski jacket that I haven't worn in years that now fits. When I went to take it off, I couldn't get the zipper down far enough to even pull my head through--it had caught on the lining. What's worse, I couldn't work the bottom zipper up far enough to try to get my hand in there to pull on the lining--it got stuck, too! I was just thinking about going to my neighbor and begging for help when I managed to free one of them and get it off. Now I remember why I didn't like that coat! Big Smile

As Tasty said, you can sure work up a sweat doing this work. I hope enough calories so I can have some dessert tonight! I'm going to make a cup of tea and stay in--I've had it. Talk to you tomorrow.

False

hOhOhOhOhOhO....  Birdy, I am giggling so hard that I have tears in my eyes, and Aune thinks I have flipped by wig.  I can just see you trying to get out of your coat, probably doing various gyrations to try at a different angle, etc.  What a laugh I had over that story.  I needed that.

I miss SEEING the snow, not being in it.  Right now, my windows and doors are open agian, and the sun is shining to beat the band.  It's Florida, after all.  Hopefully, Geema, you will get the help you need and everyone else will be safe and sound.

Jean is at the point where she doesn't need help at night.  She has a bedside commode for any midnight needs, and she has promised not to get out of bed in the morning until Tracy arrives.  The morning are when she needs someone the most - getting her sense of balance, her sea-legs so to speak - and to get her breakfast ready.  And, I am thinking that she will likely be able to be on her own in about another five or six days, and Tracy can handle that.  We got her at just the right time - she is between full time employments and needed the extra work and money.  And, what a dear she has proven to be - she has been my monthly cleaning lady for about two years, so I know her quite well, but I had not seen her dealing with an invalid before - seems to have a natural talent for being an angel.

I spent most of the day trying to put Jean's house back to the same order she had it before Luz decide to organize.  I found 27 plastic bags stuffed in the bottom of a closet, that contained some of Jean's life treasures - sewing notions, postcards from her children, family photos, recipes, her lace collection, jewelry, knick knacks some of which are from around the world, etc.  There are still some items missing, but I know we will find them sooner or later.  Tracy and I will work on that a bit more tomorrow.

In the meantime, I need to start planning for New Year's Eve, party here at my house....  This will be a buffet of appetizers, and rather easy.... but so far I think we will be having a group of close to 30. 

I was happy to see a note from Susan, but Mac and Lilly are MIA...  hope everyone is okay.  Knowing the weather conditions out there, I have to worry.  The Mother Hen in me is showing. 

Dinner tonight will be some of the leftover pork from Christmas, mashed potatoes, gravy, and brussies on the side.  I didn't have much leftover, but whatever we don't eat tonight will be portioned out for Jean and then put in the freezer. 

See you guys in the morning.  Birdy, stay out of the that coat...  Geema, hunker down and stay warm... Tasty, sorry the dinner party was cancelled but probably for the best, considering the weather. 

False

GOOD FRIDAY MORNING, Cooking Buds ~ It is a chilly 42° outside now with 95% humidity, and a high of 72 in the forecast...  slight chance of afternoon showers. 

There must have been a marathon of sorts going on last night - one train after another, starting at about 11:30 until just past 3:am - and of course they all have to blow their horns at every crossing, and coming north from Port Tampa there must be 25 crossings....  with my windows open to wallow in the cool night air, I could every one of them.  Ergo, I didn't get much sleep last night.  Got a lot of reading done, tho, so not a total loss.

Another day at Jean's is in the offing. First, I will get my shopping done for New Year's Eve, then my shampoo, then over to her house, before the home health person shows up...  this morning it will be an RN to take her vitals.  There is still some sort of hold up on authorizing therepy, which means she has been three weeks now with either physical or occupational therapy - not good.  Repeated calls to the case manager at her insurance company gets us nowhere, just voice mail.  ARRRRGGGHHH.

Reheated some leftovers for dinner last night, easy way out.  No clue as to what may be on our dinner table tonight.  Depends on what's on sale at the store....

Take care everyone - stay warm and hopefully, you are not snowbound.  Or, if you are, you have enough food and a good book to see you through the duration.  Cheers ~ 

False

Good morning. For a while, it's calm here with just a light dusting of snow overnight. Lots of minor accidents yesterday all over the place--people haven't figured out how to drive with snow and ice yet and are being careless. All the more reason to stay hunkered down at home. I may go out later--and I may not--as the spirit moves me. Another smaller storm is coming up the coast Saturday so we could be getting 1-3" then--just an annoyance.

Beema--I'm glad I could supply some light entertainment. Smile Believe it or not, I was contemplating getting a pair of scissors and hacking my way out of that coat but it was expensive and I'm too cheap to ruin something like that. Couldn't you just hear the 911 dispatcher to the fire department--"Woman trapped in coat; no injuries; do not use lights or siren." Big Smile Big Smile

It's interesting hearing your comments about the trains. I live about 3 miles from the tracks in the valley but only hear them when the atmospheric conditions are just right. My father loved trains and with my Mom and I spent many summer evenings parked at the train yard watching the steam engines (and later, diesel) coming through and/or shuffling cars. We didn't have TV at the time and it was our entertainment along with a bag of freshly roasted peanuts in the shell. I guess that started my love of trains. The best trip of my life was taking the trip from Toronto to the Canadian Rockies back in the 80's.

The engineers got to know Dad on sight and would toot and wave. He got so he could tell by the sound who was at the controls by the way they spun the wheels and from our house could identify who was working the engines. The yard boss got to know us. Once they had a shipment of pineapples that had been left behind because they were spoiling and he offered them to my Mom. I forget how many she brought home. They were dead ripe with good areas that she cut out and canned. We ate free canned pineapple for 6 months from that batch.

I'm so glad Jean is getting to a point where she can be independent again but I'm shocked that the insurance company is stonewalling physical therapy that she needs. That's really disturbing. Also, her former companion seems to have been pretty insensitive to her personal space. That would drive me completely up the wall.

To all of my friends in snow country--stay warm and dry and remember that this too shall pass (or melt.) Smile Talk to you all later. 

False