I have not yet tried this recipe but it is the copy cat from Arthur Treacher's restaurant for the fried fish that they use for Fish & Chips... and for their batter fried chicken. It says it enough batter to fry enough food for four - I am leaving it that way, and you can make your own adjustments, accordingly.
3 pounds chicken tenders or fish fillets
1 egg, beaten
2 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups pancake mix
3 cups club soda
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon seasoned salt
Oil, for frying
1. Preheat oven to 325° Dip the fillets in the egg to moisten, then dip the fish evenly but lightly inot the flour. Dust off an excess and allow the fillets to air-dry on waxed paper, about 5 minutes.
2. Whip the pancake mix with the club soda to the consistency of buttermilk. It should be pourable, but not too thin and not too thick.
3. Beat in the onion powder and seasoned salt.
4. Add one inch of oil to a large, heavy saucepan and heat to 425°, according to a meat thermometer.
5. Dip the floured fillets, a few at a time, into the batter and then slide, carefully, into the oil, a few at a time.
6. Brown for about 4 minutes, then turn, and brown another 4 minutes.
7. Arrange the fried fillets on a cookie sheet and place in the oven to keep warm until all the fillets have been fried.
♥A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others. Ayn Rand ♥
♥ Judy Batson, Volunteer Field Editor since 2009 ♥ Contest Winner, Country Woman, 2011♥ Meet me at the "Cooking for Two" forum and in Cook's Corner @ "What Are You Reading?" I am waiting to meet YOU!
Thanks for the recipe. I remember eating this as a teenager. My step-father said it was close to the fish and chips he grew up with in England.
In my neck of the woods, Friday fish fries are an institution. Restaurants are in hot competition to be known as having the best fry. My favorite is usually done in beer batter. I'm wondering if I could substitute beer for the club soda. Hmmm . . . I'll have to do some experimenting.
© RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC 2015