Black-eyed peas eaten for the New Year are supposed to bring prosperity.  There are probably hundreds of recipes out there but this one caught my eye because it's simple.  It's easily cut in half, if you want, and there are many ways to vary the ingredients.  I'll probably use bacon, smoked kielbasa, and kale for mine with cornbread on the side.

Black-Eyed Pea Soup with Ham and Greens
4 servings

Source:  Mark Bittman

“For greens, you can use watercress, arugula, or spinach as well as any truly seasonal green--kale, mustard, collards and turnips--all of which grow in the South through the winter. Those will take longer to cook than the more tender watercress, arugula or spinach, so they should be added to the soup with the peas. Instead of onion, you can use garlic, leek or shallots. And black-eyed peas are the traditional choice, but any legume will work."

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 ounces ham, prosciutto or bacon, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cups cooked, canned or frozen black-eyed peas
4 cups water
2 cups greens--watercress, arugula or spinach--rinsed, trimmed and chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Put half the olive oil in a deep skillet or casserole on medium-high heat. Add the meat and cook, stirring, for a minute. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until it softens and begins to brown, about 10 minutes. Add the peas and 2 cups of water, and bring to a boil; turn to medium-low heat and simmer, uncovered, until the peas are completely tender -- 10 minutes for cooked or canned, about 30 minutes for frozen.

Stir in greens and cook, stirring occasionally, until they wilt. Add more water if necessary. Season with salt and pepper to taste, stir in remaining olive oil, and serve.