Pierogi Lasagna | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Pierogi Lasagna

Last post Jan 29, 2012 4:22 PM by Beema . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • Pierogi Lasagna

After reading the cabbage and pierogi recipe, I thought maybe someone would be interested in this one.  Makes more than 2 servings but would be very easy to cut down to the size you'd like. It's a Mr. Food recipe.

Pierogi Lasagna

12 lasagna noodles

1/3 cup vegetable oil

5 medium-sized onions, finely chopped (about 3 cups)

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese

6 cups warm seasoned mashed potatoes, store-bought or homemade

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.

Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions; drain and set aside.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sauté onions 8 to 10 minutes, or until lightly browned; reserve 1/2 cup sautéed onions for topping. Add remaining onions, pepper, and cheese to mashed potatoes; mix well.

Place 3 noodles on bottom of prepared baking dish. Spread 1/3 of potato mixture over noodles. Repeat layers until a total of 4 layers of noodles and 3 layers of potato mixture have been placed (with a layer of noodles on top). Top with remaining sautéed onions.

Cover with aluminum foil and bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until heated through.

Note:

You might want to add a few cooked sliced mushrooms to the potatoes, or maybe a cup of well-drained sauerkraut. And season your mashed potatoes however you like 'em...salt, pepper, and butter work fine.

False

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
    -Will Rogers

• Re: Pierogi Lasagna

This sounds yummy!

Lilly

False

Now, this is certainly different.  I would never have thought to use mashed potatoes in place of the stuffed dumplings, but I am sure it would taste very similar in this type of recipe.   I will certainly have to try this recipe. Thanks, Carole. 

False

♥ Life is a song, sing it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a dream, realize it, Life is a sacrifice, offer it. Life is love, enjoy it. And, life is cooking, eat it. (Sai Baba & Judy)

♥ Judy Batson, Volunteer Field Editor, Taste of Home, 2009 ♥ Contest Winner, Country Woman, 2011♥ Meet me at Cooking for Two.

Well, when you think of it, pierogis are nothing but stuffed pasta, so the lasagna noodles are the pasta and the mashed potatoes are the stuffing...but so much easier and quicker to make.  My mom and I would make homemade pierogis.  She did most of the work...she already had the potatoes mashed with the cheese and she'd bring that to my house, then she'd make the dough and then we'd both roll, cut and stuff and cook and it took us all day.  But of course we made a ton of them to freeze.  Sometimes we'd make the sauerkraut ones, too.  They were delicious.  I never tackled making pierogis by myself, though.

carole

False

-Will Rogers

Yup, that is so true.  But, looking at a Polish cooking website (didn't know that peirogis were of Polish descent), I found that some of them can be stuffed with onions, sausage, etc., and deep fried even.  A whole new world just opened in front of my eyes.  Maybe if I live long enough I will learn 100 different ways to put dinner on the table.  Wouldn't that be fun? 

False

♥ Life is a song, sing it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a dream, realize it, Life is a sacrifice, offer it. Life is love, enjoy it. And, life is cooking, eat it. (Sai Baba & Judy)

♥ Judy Batson, Volunteer Field Editor, Taste of Home, 2009 ♥ Contest Winner, Country Woman, 2011♥ Meet me at Cooking for Two.

Oh, yeah, Beema...they sure are Polish.  That's why my mom made the best ones!!  The Polish markets and delis have all kinds of stuffings for them, but our favorites are still the potato/cheese, potato/cheese/onion, and sauerkraut/mushroom.  Some Polish restaurants around here do deep fry them, and they get such a nice, golden, crispy brown all around.  We like ours boiled and then sauteed in butter and topped off with caramelized onion, then dipped in sour cream.  mmmm...good stuff.

carole

False

-Will Rogers

Family meals -the heritage and the stories behind them - all that lore and tradition seems to add more flavor to the foods than any amount of seasonings.  Having MOM's best is better than having ice cream for breakfast.  How great is that???

False