I have made this little cake and it’s perfectly sized for a couple of days for me. This recipe has been posted around the internet for years without giving credit to the original author so I thought I’d set the record straight.  I recognized it when I was going through some old cookbooks recently.  Note that some other sizes of pans will work for this, too.  If you don’t mind just dumping the cake out of a non-stick pan, you can skip the wax-paper sling.

Cinnamon Coffee Cake for Two
Source:  Cookery for 1 or 2 by Barbara Swain, 1978

Serves:  3-4

Cake:
1 egg
1 tbsp. oil
1/4 c milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 c sugar
3/4 c buttermilk biscuit mix
Cooking spray

Topping
1 tsp. sugar

1/4 tsp. cinnamon
2-3 tbsp. coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans

Honey Glaze
1/4 c powdered sugar

1 tsp honey
1/2 to 1 tsp water or milk

Preheat oven to 350F (175C). Grease and line a 9” x 5” loaf pan* with wax paper, making a sling.

Prepare cinnamon-sugar topping by combining ingredients in a custard cup and mixing well.

Beat egg in a medium bowl.  Beat in oil.  Blend in milk, vanilla, and sugar.  Stir in buttermilk biscuit mix to moisten.  Beat vigorously about 1 – 1 1/2 minutes until smooth.

Pour batter into prepared pan and sprinkle topping evenly over surface.  Bake about 20 minutes until cake springs back when lightly touched.

Cool in pan on rack 5-10 minutes.  Remove from pan by lifting ends of wax paper liner. 

Prepare honey glaze by blending powdered sugar, honey, and 1/2 tsp. water or milk in a small bowl.  Mix until smooth and syrupy.  Increase water or milk as desired for better consistency.

Drizzle glaze over top of cake.  Serve warm.

*Note:  Others who have made this recipe have also successfully used either an 8 1/2” x 4 1/2” loaf pan or a 6" round.