*WE LOVE TO CHAT 4/23* | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

*WE LOVE TO CHAT 4/23*

Last post Apr 29, 2012 3:12 PM by 16281628 . 95 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 7 (96 items) 12345Last >
  • *WE LOVE TO CHAT 4/23*

GOOD MONDAY MORNING, and greetings from Tampa - it's a cool 65 out there this morning, and only going up to 74 today.  The rains brought a cool front, and tonight it's supposed to be a low 51.  Windows open today, and no a/c today.

Having breakfast with friends this morning, then shopping for a few essentials, then I will be back and able to chat a bit....  enjoy the morning coffee, ladies !

False

♥ Life is a song, sing it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a dream, realize it, Life is a sacrifice, offer it. Life is love, enjoy it. And, life is cooking, eat it. (Sai Baba & Judy)

♥ Judy Batson, Volunteer Field Editor, Taste of Home, 2009 ♥ Contest Winner, Country Woman, 2011♥ Meet me at Cooking for Two.

• Re: *WE LOVE TO CHAT 4/23*

Good morning everyone. Looks to be another chilly day out there, just when I was getting a handle on my yard work this happens and suppose to have lots of wind today also. Beema have fun at your breakfast gathering.

False

Click for Windsor, Ontario Forecast

???? morning.  It's 34 and snowing Sad

False

tastycook1

???? morning.  It's 34 and snowing Sad

LOL

It is 34.8° here - "not snowing".  Eastern sky is fairly bright and now I see the sun behind the trees. High is supposed to get to 59°. Isolated T-storms Wednesday and High 67° BUT generally High will hold around 60° for the week. Looks like we might have had a very light frost.

I think I am going to go look at the Microwaves again. (700 watt is okay for the basement - but not up here).  Today???? I can't make up my mind and I hate that feeling. Maybe I need to putter in the house today and think about it some more!!

My son is leaving this week to take a job in Iowa.  At least that is not as far away was Montana was. I hope it works out for him. He is leaving behind his wife and sons. After his 90 days they will probably be selling their place here and moving there. Will I visit them in Iowa, I don't know as they can come here easier than I can go there - they are younger than me!! Wink  Apparently that is roughly the same distance as Nashville, TN (have a Daughter and family there).

Coffee cup is empty - time to get moving!!

False

tastycook1
    It's 34 and snowing Sad

Oh, oh! Tasty, you seem to be on the cold side of this system. It's a good thing you took care of those trees when you did. It was 38 when I got up this morning--heavy rain last night but we seem to have skipped the really high winds and snow.  As in past storms, central NY seems to be in a slot between the worst weather. It's still not nice--raw, wet, gloomy, and below-average temperatures for the whole week! Phooey. My lawn keeps growing and I won't be able to cut it for who knows when.

The Cornell recipe for chicken marinade is very good. It gives a crispy skin because of the egg in it but you have to be careful not to grill it over too hot of a fire. It was developed years ago by Bob Baker, a professor of food science at Cornell University. He also helped invent chicken nuggets, turkey ham, and poultry hot dogs. It's a very popular recipe all over the state and his family still runs Baker's Chicken Shack at the NY State fair even though he passed away in 2006. Despite the weather, the fire department's chicken was ready on time and I had a nice meal of it at home yesterday with leftovers for today.

Indoor jobs are on the schedule for today so I'd better get my act together.  Talk to you later.

False

I just checked the heron cam at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology in Ithaca and the nest is covered with snow.  Although it is south of me, the elevation is high enough that they got accumulating snow.

The sitting bird is staying tight to keep the eggs warm, though.  The red-tailed hawk on the other nest on their site had an egg hatch yesterday--their nest has snow on it, too.  The parents are having to keep both eggs and chick warm. This isn't necessarily an unusual thing to happen this time of the year but it just shows how much work the adults go through to protect their young.

False

When I checked the red tailed hawk cam this morning the snow in the nest looked pretty deep.  Now it's all gone so baby will stay warmer  Big Smile

False

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
    -Will Rogers

Good Afternoon!

I taught a class this am and now am at home. Have a few school things to do and then study for tomorrow's class.

Today is chilly. I think it got to 44 last night and skies are clear - very breezy today.

Dinner will be a savory lentil and sausage stew. Take about 20 minutes to prepare and then an hour to cook.

Other than that a pretty quiet day here.

Hope everyone is well.

Lilly

False

Hi, Guys... been really busy today, and we lost power, and guess what, Geema???  I had to sign on, log in, and saw a security warning, just like you did a few days ago...  logged on and the warning went away... and here i am. 

Too much going on these past few days...I have no time to chat now, but will be back in the morning. All is well....  just busy.

False

♥ Life is a song, sing it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a dream, realize it, Life is a sacrifice, offer it. Life is love, enjoy it. And, life is cooking, eat it. (Sai Baba & Judy)

♥ Judy Batson, Volunteer Field Editor, Taste of Home, 2009 ♥ Contest Winner, Country Woman, 2011♥ Meet me at Cooking for Two.

Just finished making my Savory Lentil and Sausage Stew so now it is on to cook for an hour. Smells good. And all dishes are clean. Woohoo! Still need to prepare for tomorrow's class. Read over material. And I want to crochet a couple of rows on the dishcloth I am making - just a small project that won't take long or overwhelm me and end up sitting in a pile never to be finished!

Hope you have a good evening!

Lilly

False

Good Tuesday Morning....  golly, gee whiz, it's only 55° outside this morning.  It felt so good to have a cool bedroom to sleep in that I did sneak in another hour of zzzzz's.  Didn't want to get out of my warm bed.

Running behind times, and coffee is ready. As soon as I have had a cup, I will return and chat....  Coffee

False

Good morning everyone, suppose to be another windy day here in Southern Ontario, another day of not being able to do anything outside, darn just when I was on a role. DH found a huge mouse nest in our BBQ yesterday when the wind blew the cover off.

False

Click for Windsor, Ontario Forecast

Good morning.  Well, the good news is the snow turned to rain early on yesterday and the bad (?) news is it rained all day and is still raining.  Really, I'm not complaining because we need the rain so badly but a little more warmth would be nice.  Even your 55 would be nice Beema instead of the 37 we have.

We did get the hundred trees planted on Sunday morning so I am really happy to have the rain to water them in  - so much better than we could do ourselves.  There were actually an extra 5 or 6 trees in our pack that we had to find spots forSurprise and the fruit trees etc are still waiting but they are in pots and are just fine as they are for a while.

With the weather  the way it was yesterday I decided to do some baking in the afternoon and got some muffins done and into the freezer.  I also made the orange cake you posted a while ago Geema.  Is that ever good.  When I did the glaze for it I add some grated mandarin zest and that was a good move.  Thanks for sharing that recipe - I'll be making that one again.  I ended up baking it in an 8" x 4" loaf pan and that worked beautifully.

As I was going thru the store yesterday morning the butcher came by the meat counter with some thinly cut steak that he had just reduced by 50%.  That made a really nice beef stroganoff for supper last night - not what I had intended but worth taking when I had the chanceWink

It's too early to know yet what we'll have tonight but it may be something that will go with the French bread I have mixing in the bread machine.

Have a good day,

Tasty

False

Good morning, everyone.  Tasty, it was 36 when I got up this morning but any snow showers we may have gotten melted right away.  Today is supposed to be cold and raw again but just light showers or some of that crazy graupel.  We missed the snow to the west but thousands of people are without power in Rochester where fallen trees were taking down the power lines--I don't know about the rest of the western part of the state.

Where the heron and hawk are in Ithaca they got 8"--no wonder the nests had so much snow.  It's interesting to see how fast it disappeared. That red-tailed hawk is so pretty--it's hard to believe the nest is on a light pole right over the Cornell playing fields. A pair of endangered peregrine falcons have been spotted downtown here in the last weeks--the paper had an article about it this morning. We had a nesting pair for several years but the eggs never hatched and then the male was killed in an accident. They're waiting with bated breath to see if these two will find a place to nest--we don't have many buildings with the ideal conditions. The owners of one of the best sites refused to let them set up a nesting box on the roof--I can't understand why.

I didn't sleep very well last night--I've been sneezing and had a little sore throat that kept bothering me.  I'm feeling a little better now that I'm up but I can't decide if it's a cold or an allergy to the pollen "du jour" this week. Think I'll lie low today and see how things go.

Lilly--it's good to see you posting again.  That lentil and sausage stew sure sounds good.  Have you posted it? Mac--I'm surprised I haven't found a mouse nest in my BBQ.  I know I have them in my detached garage. I saw one run up the wall when I was sitting in the car the other day.

I need another cup of coffee.  Talk to you later.

False

NYBirder
    the pollen "du jour

When we picked the trees up on Friday, poor hubby sneezed the whole way home.Surprise  Hope your feeling better, Birdy.

We had birds try to nest in our BBQ last year Wink

False