*WE LOVE TO CHAT 4/23* | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

*WE LOVE TO CHAT 4/23*

Last post Apr 29, 2012 3:12 PM by 16281628 . 95 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 3 of 7 (96 items) 12345Last >
  • Re: *WE LOVE TO CHAT 4/23*

Well, I am glad to see some stirring around here - I was beginning to think I was in the Twilight Zone! Off to school I go!

Lilly

False

Morning, all.  I'm running slow this morning.  I didn't get up until almost 6:30 which is late for me but I'm trying to kick this cold.  So far it isn't too bad (crossed fingers).  We had a freeze last light but the sun is shining brightly.  That's supposed to last until the middle of the morning and then cold and raw with heavy rain moving in. Geema--thanks for sending the warm temps but I think they're moving pretty slowly since we have snow flurries in the forecast for all day tomorrow. Crying Perhaps by Monday we'll be back in the 60's--finally!

Lilly--the lentil stew looks good. I can't wait to try it.

As you know, we've had some serious health issues in the family.  My sister was moved to a nursing care facility earlier in the week.  According to my niece, she was pretty upset since she wanted to go home.  That won't be possible.  Her outlook isn't good--they think that the brain tumor that was removed is probably growing back.  I don't know what they'll be doing for her now.  I can't visit her because of this stupid cold but we've sent some flowers since she's finally in a place where she can have them.

My SIL called yesterday to say that they are going to have to start aggressive treatment of my brother's lymphoma. May 4 he'll be travelling to Rochester, NY, for the first stage of his chemo since the first three treatments are considered the most dangerous and they prefer to have him there instead of having it given locally.  A week later, he's having surgery there to remove his spleen since that is where the cancer has presented itself. I was surprised that it will be laproscopic surgery if possible and he'll only be there for two days, God willing. Bless his heart, he has a good attitude which counts for a lot.  Anyway, it's been a difficult week for our family.

Today I plan to take it easy and baby my cold.  I'm supposed to be going out to lunch with my friends to celebrate one of their birthdays.  We had planned on a little road trip but with snow showers in the forecast we might just stay local.  I need more coffee so I'll say goodbye for now.

False

Good Afternoon All:

Had an early eye appointment this morning.  Everything is fine with my eyes "after" cataract surgeries and I can wear "cheaters" or prescription glasses (my choice) for reading and close work - like sewing, etc. Don't need them for crocheting or knitting except for reading patterns.

Birdie: I stopped at a garage sale this morning and made a generous "donation" as it was for a "Cancer Group".  They asked you to pay whatever as all money went to "Their Cancer Drive" and they do it once a year. I got 2 "batting" stands and balls (all plastic)" and a huge tub of crayons. The "ball stands" will go to my 2 youngest DDs for their grandkids and the crayons can be divided up among "whoever" can use them (a plastic shoe box size container with lots of whole crayons).

It is now past my lunch - so CUL.

False

Hello!

Birdy - hope you feel better soon - sounds like you have your hands full.

Geema - wish my eyes were that good - I need readers for everything!

Class went well - got home and am making a cheesey/sausage/salsa dip. It's probably a Velveeta recipe. One of the guys brought it today and we had a snack. I had never had that before - thought it was good - so I picked up the ingredients and it is now in the crockpot melting.

It seems humid here although it is only about 65 degrees and partly cloudy.

Not sure what is for dinner - salad sounds good since we are having a treat.

How was your day?

Lilly

False

Hi, gang....  Boy, it never fails - just as soon as I decide to take a nap, and just fall asleep, the phone rings.  I should be used to it by now, but it really burns me up, especially when it is a robo-call.  I'm afraid to turn the ringer off, as I would not want to miss a call from one of the kids or my daughters.

Went to Home Depot this morning, to get some more Critter Ridder,  and it says it will repel cats, dogs, squirrels, raccoons, and rodents.  I am putting some of the stuff outside my window to keep that darned cat away... 

I also needed some more hardware cloth, and the bar code on the bundle had come off, so the cashier tried looking it up, couldn't find it, and the line behind me was getting longer, so she said, "I'll just charge you $4. for that...  "  I didn't tell her it was a $20.00 item.  In a way I felt bad, but she could have called for the price if she was really concerned about charging the right amount....  so I got a good bargain.

I think I will run to Publix a bit later and get some of their fried chicken and potato salad for dinner.  Am I being lazy?  You betcha.

Tom came again today  - what else is new?  And, as always, he wanted to eat.  How can resist a good looking kid that hugs me and says "I wuv you, Gramma!" 

I have an early morning appointment for a bone density test and my annual mammo, so I may not have time to chat until I get back home....  so, don't worry about me if I am awol in the morning.

The whole country must be having some cooler weather - I turned the heat on for a few minutes the last two mornings to get the chill off - I don't ever remember doing that so late in the year.  And, your telling me of frosts up your way is really crazy.  But, right now, it is perfect.  Come on down...  we'll sit on the back porch and chat a while.

False

♥ Life is a song, sing it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a dream, realize it, Life is a sacrifice, offer it. Life is love, enjoy it. And, life is cooking, eat it. (Sai Baba & Judy)

♥ Judy Batson, Volunteer Field Editor, Taste of Home, 2009 ♥ Contest Winner, Country Woman, 2011♥ Meet me at Cooking for Two.

Good Friday Morning....  well, I made it by here this morning, after all. Got a really good night's sleep, didn't even have to get up once (miracles will never cease) and woke up at my old regular time, 4:30.  Since Aune has been home from work every day, I kind of let that habit fall by the wayside, but I really feel better all around, when I get up early, and get a head start on things. 

As mentioned, I have my annual mammo this morning, and a bone density test - I am not sure why they keep doing these tests; my records reflect that I have mild osteoporosis, that I cannot take any of the so called miracle drugs to rebuild bones, so I double up on calcium and other supplements, so why take another test?  And, they take the test based on lower spine and hips, whereas MY weakness is in my lower limbs, which are not tested.  Go figure.

After I leave the hospital this morning, I will stop by the grocery store for a few odds and ends then home.  I may have an afternoon appointment but mostly I will be at home, starting to seriouosly plan for our next party, making my usual day by day planner.  One of my first chores is always to clean out the fridge.  I always seem to gather far too many jars....  do they multiply at night, like little rabbits???

Time to get some coffee and breakfast.....  have a great morning, guys, and I will see you later.

False

♥ Life is a song, sing it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a dream, realize it, Life is a sacrifice, offer it. Life is love, enjoy it. And, life is cooking, eat it. (Sai Baba & Judy)

♥ Judy Batson, Volunteer Field Editor, Taste of Home, 2009 ♥ Contest Winner, Country Woman, 2011♥ Meet me at Cooking for Two.

Good morning! At the station for24 hours. My partner is one unhappy person here like most other people. What a dysfunctional place! I hope to get a lot of school work done today. Finished that book yesterday Beema. What did you think of the outcome? I'll check back in a little. I am on iPad now and it crunches everything up into one paragraph when I go to post so I like to keep those messages short! Easier on the eyes when I can use my regular computer. Lilly
    False

Good morning everyone. Sun is out, not sure if we got another frost last night or not, my poor plants, I so enjoyed that warm weather we had last month but was way to early and now the plants are suffering. Well need to do some banking this morning and may work outside if it warms up a bit. Have a good day.

False

Click for Windsor, Ontario Forecast

Good morning, folks. It's cold, wet, and gloomy here with today's high somewhere around 43 late this afternoon with snow flurries in the air. Acch! It's not unprecedented but certainly unwelcome. The good news is that it will clear off and we will have sunny weather tonight into the weekend for the first time in a week.  The bad news is that it will clear off--which means both weekend nights they are expecting a hard freeze in the low 20's.  Beema--your back porch is sounding really good right now. Big Smile

Today I'm meeting my BFF's for lunch at my favorite Greek restaurant to celebrate a birthday. We're all within months of each other in age so we can relate well to the joys of getting older. Wink It'll be good to dish some gossip and eat Greek. For some reason, my enter key has stopped working, so this will be a long paragraph!  Lilly--that lentil stew sounds really good. I'm going to pick up some of the fixings and try it this weekend. I'm getting low on coffee, so I'll talk to you later.

I just came back on edit and my enter key is now working.  Has anyone had that happen? Strange.

False

Back again. I just checked the heron cam. It's possible that the first egg might be hatching. There's what appears to be a small hole in one of them. Time will tell.

False

Good Morning All

Temp is 35.4° and sunny at the moment. Scattered thunderstorms predicted during the evening sooooooo I hope I can mow the ditch and grassy area on road side before a rain AND Cali's pen later this morning (got the ditch mowed on one side but didn't get the other side (it rained before I could get back to it - actually I finished the last bit of main yard in a bit of light rain).

Need to make a loaf of bread again as I am down to my last slice. Oh, what kind shall I bake this time??!!!!!

Also do something with that "fallen" limb so I can mow where it fell. I hope I can drag it with the tractor (need to get one of the guys to cut it up for me). I have to do "my own thing" otherwise they are after me to move - not ready to do that. I had asthma bad when I lived in town sooooooooo not looking forward to moving back in town (I think it was partly auto exhaust). Couldn't go outside when they were mowing - moved out of town and soon I was doing a big part of the mowing.  I took allergy shots for awhile and then I didn't need them any more "just" an inhaler occasionally.

I have found the little collapsable steamer is the best thing to do my aspargus in. Yummy!!

Glad to see this sunshine as my son Rick is leaving today for Iowa.

Time to get busy!!  CUL

False

Oh...I can't wait to see the baby heron...bet it'll be really cute.  I can't imagine what it'll look like with that big beak!

I was watching the RTH nest the other day and just had to stop...oops...a bird just hit my window--hope it's ok.  Anyway, baby #1 was pecking baby #2 so much.  #2 was laying on his back and #1 just wouldn't stop so that the poor thing could get off of it's back and put it's head down.  I know, I know...it's nature and survival of the fittest and all that, but I still don't like to watch it.  Baby #3 probably hatched yesterday, so I guess I will go take a look. 

False

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
    -Will Rogers

I'm home from the morning's chores, and I am soooooo happy with my hospital - they are always prompt, in and out.  Makes life easy.

I just had a few minutes to go back and really read some of the more recent posts (I know, shame on me, I had been skimming...) and I have to say, Birdy, that I am remiss in not wishing you well, and blessings to your family.  Yes, it is tough when we age, and have frailties too.   My prayers will be with you and yours.

Tasty, whenever I read about your having folks in for dinner, which it seems you do frequently, I find myself missing the many evenings that I used to do the same...  but that was when I had a hubby.  It seems most women my age don't like to venture out at night for dinner with a male companion, more for safety reasons than anything else.  What a sad state of affairs that is. 

Geema, don't go hurting yourself moving that limb....  they can be a lot heavier than they look.  Be careful. 

Weather here today is going up to the high 80's, and there is still an air quality alert going on - too many particles floating around, plus high ozone levels.  Not good. 

Guess I had better plan something for dinner...  Maybe Birdy's Enchilada Chicken -

False

I just checked the Red Tailed Hawks nest.  She's feeding three healthy, fluffy, demanding white chicks.  Let's all say, "Awww!" Such a good parent.

Wait till the heron's eggs hatch, which should be soon.  They are very, very loud and very, very demanding.  It should be quite a show when feeding time rolls around for them.

Talk to you later.

False

Good morning everyone;

It's been raining all week but is suppose to stop today and for the weekend. Hopefully I'll be able to get the front lawn mowed tomorrow. Today is lunch and cards with the girls.

My little monsters have been acutally behaving themselves lately. I bought a bag of 5 balls for Toby a couple of days ago. He is in his glory. So far Sophie hasn't chewed any. I do hope she is learning.  She seems to be. she has been getting scolded at  for pulling all the foam stuffing out of all thier beds. Between all thier toys all over and foam bits all over my living room always looks like a hurricane hit it. Much messier than when my kids were at home.  Indifferent

Someone sent me an e-mail this morning that I would like to share. It said, "Most people think that a woman's dream is to meet the perfect man. The reality is..  Most women would like to be able to eat anything they want and not get fat".   I love it.

Hope you all have a nice day

False