♫ WE LOVE TO CHAT 5/28 ♫ | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

♫ WE LOVE TO CHAT 5/28 ♫

Last post Jun 03, 2012 1:20 PM by NYBirder . 81 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 6 (82 items) 12345Last >
  • ♫ WE LOVE TO CHAT 5/28 ♫

GOOD MONDAY MORNING, and Happy Memorial Day to our American Friends. 

Looks like Beryl kind of fizzled out when it hit landfall.  The radar doesn't show much rain at all.  For all who are traveling today, that is a blessing, but we sure needed the rain.  The weather site is still saying 50% chance of storms today and tonight, but I am doubtful.

So, who's doing what today?  Any parades or picnics on the agenda?  For, me, I plan a lazy day, reading and enjoying watching the birds and butterflies in my backyard.  I have to make a quick run to the store, and I imagine that will be a mad house so I plan to be there early, early.  My daughter and her family will be coming home from Ocala this afternoon, so I won't need to feed her fish but once, just this morning.

As always, the dump soup last night (beef, veggies and noodles) was so satisfying.  We both had two bowls, along with some dinner rolls to sop up the juices.  I will take some to my friend, Jean - she rarely cooks for herself (usually gets frozen dinners), so I try to share with her when I can.

Hope everyone enjoys a wonderful Monday, and that the weather is good to you.  See you later.

False

♥ Life is a song, sing it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a dream, realize it, Life is a sacrifice, offer it. Life is love, enjoy it. And, life is cooking, eat it. (Sai Baba & Judy)

♥ Judy Batson, Volunteer Field Editor, Taste of Home, 2009 ♥ Contest Winner, Country Woman, 2011♥ Meet me at Cooking for Two.

• Re: ♫ WE LOVE TO CHAT 5/28 ♫

Good morning everyone. Another day of taking DH to the courthouse then need to stop at the grocery store for a few things, granddaughter looked absolutely gorgeous for her first communion just like a little princess. Suppose to have storms here today also.

False

Click for Windsor, Ontario Forecast

Good morning everyone.

We are looking at another nice day altho cloudier than we have had.  No rain in the forecast at all for todaySad

I'm sure your hubby will be glad when he no longer has to turn up at sourt everyday Mac.  I know that kind of thing has to be done but if it was me, I'd be thinking of all the other things I could be doingWink

One of our local stores has some great sales this week so it was worth going shopping yesterday morning.  I also got the rest of the annuals I wanted and got them all planted Big Smile About the only thing still to buy is perhaps one or 2 herbs where the seeds didn't grow.

It is time for me to start serious work on the yard sale now for the curling club and once the advertising is done, my first job will be to pot up some perennials that are ready for dividing.  Always something to be done.

I think we'll have chicken stroganoff for supper tonight.  It's quick and easy - not much work at all.

Have a great day and enjoy Memorial Day if you have anything going on in your neck of the woods,

Tasty

False

Good Morning Beema and Mac,

I had decided to wait until this week's post to jump in so here goes!  I must say it has been an interesting, busy time since I last posted, as I am not sure when that was,please forgive me if I re-post the same information.  What with graduations, birthdays, and holidays, it has been a very hectic time for us.  I have also tried doing a lot of spring cleaning, painting and sprucing up; unfortunately most of that was side-tracked when I had my foot surgery on April 23rd.  I had a bunion removed and hammertoe correction on my right foot.  That meant I could not drive for 4 weeks.  My foot is progressing well although I am not healing as fast as I did when I was younger, but still within normal limits.  Two weeks after that surgery, I ended up in excruiating pain one afternoon and had my DD stop by (she is a nurse).  She believed that I was having a gall bladder attack; that made sense as a couple of days before that I was very sick to my stomach and could not keep anything down.  I went to the ER of our local hospital in Terre Haute.  They determined through scans, etc that I had a gall stone stuck in my bile duct.  They do not do the procedure at that hospital to remove it, so I ended up being transported by ambulance to IUMed in Indianapolis.  I arrived there around 1:00 a.m. and by 7:00 a.m was in the procedure room to have the stone removed.  That procedure was successful and a stent was placed in the bile duct.  I stayed at IU for 3 days for treatment of infection, and was released to home on Mother's Day.  I have surgery scheduled this Wednesday at Terre Haute to remove the gall bladder and then return to Indy on June 11th to have the stent removed.  I must say this has all just about knocked my socks off of me!  Thank goodness for such a wonderful support system I have what with DH and all of my DD's and friends. 

I have read with much interest everyone's posts and must say that I am sorry to hear of so many with estranged famililies.  Sometimes it takes reading of other's problems that really make you appreciate your own family.  I grew up with two sisters and a brother.  The brother ended up living in So. Carolina but we remained very close until his death.  Of my two sisters, one lived within 8 miles of me most of her life, and we were extremely close.  She was my other Mother in so many ways being 12 years older than me, but she was also my best friend.  My other sister, closer in age to me, and I were never really close although we led similar lifestyles raising large families.  We realized that we are the only two left in our family and maintain a closer relationship now than we did when raising our kids.  She lives about 2 1/2 hours from me so we don't physically visit as much as we would like but do stay in touch through e-mail and phone.

I also read with interest the Geocaching stories.  My family and I began that back in the late 90's and had so much fun with it.  We had an elaborate notebook filled with local caches and some that were a bit distant as well.  I think we first realized what a great opportunity it was to keep our teenagers interested in doing things with us.  We eventually stopped going as much as we had but still talk about getting back into it.  A great way to spend some time outdoors and help the enviroment.  Cache in/trash out! 

At 3:00 today, local time, we are all asked to pause in what we are doing and observe in our own way a moment of silence, rembrance and respect.  Bless our past, present and future military for the freedoms we enjoy!

I have rambled long enough, time to refill the coffee mug and enjoy this beautiful day!  Thank you for continuing to be concerned about me.  I do appreciate it!

Jenny 

False

Good morning, all. It's sunny and warming fast here in central NY. They're telling us that a storm cluster is dropping in over Lake Ontario by mid-morning and we might get some storms out of it. I'm staying home today since I'm not fond of hazy, hot, and humid so it will be a perfect day to catch up on some reading and other home chores. I'm planning to poach a frozen salmon filet to chill to make a cold salad supper.

Jenny--you do sound like you've had quite a time of it. May your surgeries go smoothly and you have a quick recovery.

Beema--your mentioning your black racers dancing reminds me of what I witnessed at a nature center near here a long time ago. It was about this time of the year (only normal temperatures and weather.) We were walking the boardwalk through a bog on the property when I saw something moving in the marsh. Every hummock had a tangled wad of big black snakes writhing on the top (I'm sorry if anyone here has snake phobia, but it was fascinating.) It was hard to tell how many but at least 3 or 4+ in each. We apparently hit it on mating day because I've never seen anything like it since. Most were about a yard long and thick but harmless. A friend walking with us nearly had a heart attack, poor thing, when she turned a corner and found one stretched across the entire walk. My Mom chucked it under the chin with the tip of her cane to get it to move (you can see where I get it from Smile.) I'm really interested in snakes but I wouldn't want to share my space with them on a daily basis like you, Beema!

My aunt Rose had a seasonal camp on Oneida Lake when I was a kid. It was next to a swampy spot. Her long-haired dog liked to roll around in the loose grass at the edge of the swamp and one day he apparently picked up a garter snake in his hair. When he went inside, it dropped off and got loose in the camp. My aunt Rose took one look and it and began screaming and jumping up and down. She was built on generous proportions and that house was practically jumping on the pilings. Uncle Howard couldn't get it out of there fast enough. Big Smile

I need another cup of coffee. Have a good day everyone. Talk to you later.

False

Thanks for the chuckle, Birdy - I needed that.  And, Jenny, so glad to see you back with us, but sorry your absence was due to so much trauma.  Emergencies like that are quite upsetting, to everyone involved, so it was good that you had family support.  Be well soon, and keep in touch.

Seems the weather site had posted the wrong information first thing this morning, and now our rain chances are way up there, and it appears that my daughter will be catching the outer bands of heavy rain, and high winds.  Oh, dear... 

Tasty, keep up with those projects - they will keep you young and active.  Good luck with the yard sale - I recall that it was quite successful last year.

Need to trot along...  I want to finish my magazine project this morning.  Oh, that reminds me - because I was going thru, page by page, one issue of Southern Living after another, I began to think I was seeing things...  the same recipes and the same pictures, time after time after time.  Granted they spanned several years, but it struck me as rather odd that they kept going back to the same stuff, over and over again.  And, not just variations of the theme, but identical recipes.  Another reason why I really love Taste of Home.

False

♥ Life is a song, sing it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a dream, realize it, Life is a sacrifice, offer it. Life is love, enjoy it. And, life is cooking, eat it. (Sai Baba & Judy)

♥ Judy Batson, Volunteer Field Editor, Taste of Home, 2009 ♥ Contest Winner, Country Woman, 2011♥ Meet me at Cooking for Two.

Good Morning All:

I worked in the garden for a bit as I need to finish planting. I had those "morning glory type vines" that I wanted out before I finish planting. It was around 71° when I went out and is now 74.8° - I used the "man-powered" (oops - "woman powered") cultivater to get rid of those vines before they took over. Got to do a ridge for my sweet potatoes. I am very slow getting the garden in this year (it is still May - barely). If we don't get some rain I will have to water the garden.

You girls and your snakes - do you know that I have not seen a snake on this property!!  I am sure there has been snakes around but I haven't seen them.

Need to make more plain sugar water for the hummingbirds. Guess I had better do that before "I forget". Wink 

Saw that little bunny this morning - don't know where he/she is hanging out but not in my "drain". I don't know if there is more than one but I have only seen one.

False

God's Morning.........

And it is a hot one!!!  We might get some rain beginning late this afternoon and continuing through Thursday...and we might not.  The weatherpeople don't have a clue, do they??

I see we have three Hoosiers here!!  Good for us!!  This Hoosier is very glad the Indy 500 is over!!!  Back to some normalcy in the neighborhood!!!!!

I would love to hear more about the geocaching.  I would love to hear and get into it before my trip to the PNW.  My DD was over here last night and she wants to get moving with it.  I don't even know how to get started......

Medical emergencies are always difficult to contend with.  I think that the media has done so much to scare the bejeebers out of us............  not to say that medical emergencies are anything to sneeze at - I am an ex medic, but we get so scared sometimes just because.............  I could let myself become totally paranoid what with some of the stuff I used to see........  but, truly, I think we scare ourselves sometimes more than we are ill.

We have some blue racer snakes here.........they seem to love the lake and they love the chipmunks more.  We had one very big one that lived under the dock.......he/she was gorgeous. It used to sun itself on the dock.  Then, one day, it was gone.  Snakes really have no redeeming features for me, although I know they fulfill a place in nature.

Love the hummingbirds!!!  They have drained the feeder that I just filled last night.  They must come around in the early morning hours because I haven't seen them today.  Maybe they don't really like my sugar!!!  OR the raccoon REALLY loves my sugar!!!

Have a good day......

False

Good Monday morning gang;

We have showers today but warm. I don't mind the rain/showers, after all thats what makes our province so beautiful and green and I can just hear the trees sighing with relief.

Welcome Jenny. --  Sounds like you've had quite a time of it lately with surgery and all. Welcome to the club, lol. These things seem to be normal for most of us seniors, lol.   When I see or hear of siblings being close friends I get teary eyed.  You would think that having uncaring parents would bring siblings closer together but it doesn't always work that way.

Birder. You are so lucky to have someone to tour the back roads and go hiking in the woods with.  Yesterday I saw a wild canary in the woods. Do they have another name? It was all bright yellow with black wings. The ones I saw when looking it up had black on the head so they must be different.  I also saw two piles of bear poop on our trail yesterday. Both very fresh. The second one was bigger than the first so I guess it was the cub and mom. so we turned about and left. I think we'll be staying away from that particuliar trail for a while. Sophie found a dead mole to roll in, Grrr!

I saw a racoon this morning as I was taking the garbage out. We have a lot of them around Vancouver and surrounding area. Of course I don't see them as much in the yard because of the dogs.

I went for dinner and dominoes last night. We were joined by our dear friend who's husband died recently so she had been up country at her daughters for a month or two.  It was nice to see her again and get to know her daughter. She will be moving in with her daughter next month.

I need to go and see if my  new glasses are ready. Surely they are. I'm suprised they haven't called. Last night my friends had to read the menu for me.  Isn't getting old a blast?

Wink

False

Beema
    Oh, that reminds me - because I was going thru, page by page, one issue of Southern Living after another, I began to think I was seeing things...  the same recipes and the same pictures, time after time after time.  Granted they spanned several years, but it struck me as rather odd that they kept going back to the same stuff, over and over again.  And, not just variations of the theme, but identical recipes.  Another reason why I really love Taste of Home.

I think you'll find they do the same thing in all the magazines, Beema.

False

thegeema
    I don't know if there is more than one but I have only seen one.

Oh, Geema. Is there any such thing as just one rabbit??!!Big Smile

You must be talking about bind weed? With the white or pink flowers that look like morning glories? That stuff is really pretty out in the wild but what a pest in the yard!

Trailmom--I've seen Baltimore orioles feeding on the sugar water in hummingbird feeders. If you have some around they might be sneaking some of it even though it's a little hard for them to perch on some types of feeders. They even sell special oriole sugar water feeders that have perches they can use.

Wicker--your wild canary is a probably a goldfinch. They're found all over north America. My mother used to call them wild canaries, too. I think it's a really old name for them maybe. They nest the latest of all the birds--around here not until July. They wait until the thistles bloom and go to seed, then gather the thistledown to line their nests and make them comfy for the babies. Or--it could be one of the warblers that migrate north from south America to nest. Many of them have both yellow and black on them. They're a little more challenging to identify.

We're getting a garden variety thunderstorm right now. The severe ones have passed to our south. I hope that's it for a while. Talk to you later.

False

thegeema
    You girls and your snakes - do you know that I have not seen a snake on this property!! 

I've only seen one on our 25 acres in the 7 or sao years that we have owned it, and it was just a tiney thing - just as well as neither of us lie themBig Smile

False

Jenny, so good to see you back.  Hope your surgeries go well for you and then you can get on with life and enjoy yourself.

We have an oriole feeder and a hummingbird feeder and both birds will ahppily use both feedersSurprise

So much for our golf game. We've had a real good thunderstorm and quite a bit of rain.  It is gorgeous out again now but we lost power for a god couple of hours.

Time to get on with the rest of the day,

Tasty

False

I have an Oriole feeder!  Do I mix the nectar the same - 1/4 cup of sugar to 1 cup of water and boil for three minutes?

I just made the yummiest squash soup.  Lunch today with a junk salad.  My favorite - not so much DH's.  NEED MEAT!!!!!!  lol

It is getting cloudy and dark.  Hopefully some rain will fall...........

False

Keep talking about your bird feeders, ladies....  I can only enjoy them vicariously.  As some of you know from previous posts, when I put seed out for the birds, I am overrun with squirrels, and even the feeders that proclaimed to be squirrel-proof were no challenge to these little devils.  And, hummingbird feeders?  Oh, man, then I wam overrun with ants, bees and wasps.  I am very allergic to the stinging bees and wasps so I cannot have that in my yard...  boohoo... But, I love to hear all the wonderful stories, so keep telling them.

Well, so far today, not a drop of rain, but they keep saying 60 t0 70% chance of storms....  And, based on the radar, I know my daughter and her family driving home from Ocala are going thru rain.  Were that me, I'd be driving on the back roads, but knowing them, they are on the Interstate.  They are in two vehicles, and usually drive in tandem, and both careful, astute drivers, so it is not them I worry about, but the proverbial other guy. 

One advantage of driving on the Interstates is that are built to drain the water, whereas so many of the surface roads will flood....  but, when trucks (the heaviest users of the interstate system) rumble on by, there is bound to be lots of spray, and that causes the blind spots on the windshields of smaller vehicles.  Jen drives a Honda van and Ray is driving their FJ.  I can start breathing again when they call to tell me they are home.

Trailmom, you will enjoy conversing with our Lilly...she is a nurse, currently teaching, but also sidelines as a paramedic with her local fire department, where her husband is also stationed.  There are so many things about this group of ours that tie us together, which I think is so marvelous.  By the way, to learn more about geocaching, google it...  there are many websites, and in fact it is thru websites that people learn about the caches in their areas.  It could not have happened before the age of computers.  Teams are named, and they register with a central site, and then for the lack of more technical word they HIDE  an object, usually inside of a weather proof container, and they give certain clues so others can search to find the object.  Some people are very clever in creating the clues, and others far too mundane, but the fun is in the search.  Once found, you are allowed to take one thing from the cache but only if you replace with one thing of yours.  To be sure there is always something there for others to fine, the person who originates his cache usually puts about 10 items inside his container.  It is a revolving treasure hunt.  And, if not abused, can go on forever.  Once you find something, you post it on the website, and give a review about your adventure.  And, the other part of this is that while you are hunting, you should be collecting and disposing of any trash along the way, so leave a green field behind you. 

Wicker, I am sure glad you decided to turn tail when you saw the bear poop...  you never want to be around when there is a mama and her cub.  You know that, I'm sure.  Nothing more scary than a mad mama.  Years ago, my son and I were hiking in Myakka State Park, and came across some wild boar.  Actually, it was three sows and their young (what are baby boar called?  Surely not piglets. They were as big as full grown pigs!).  We froze, and so did they.  Lucky for us, they were the ones who turned tail and left. 

Tonight's dinner will be egg salad and hot dogs.  It is getting so hot now that turning on the oven just sets off the a/c ...  and my electric bill is already too high.  Ah, me.  So, this is the time of year when I turn to my slow cooker, my toaster oven, stove top or cold meals.  Do any of you ever add chopped green olives to your egg salad?  It sure adds a kick of flavor. 

False