Eggs-Jumbo vs. Large | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Eggs-Jumbo vs. Large

Last post Nov 03, 2010 1:44 PM by jetfan27 . 5 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
  • Eggs-Jumbo vs. Large
    I have a recipe for a small batch of brownies that calls for 2 eggs - I know they mean large eggs. I only have jumbo eggs - do I need to make any adjustments in the recipe? If so, what? Thanks.
    False
  • RE: Eggs-Jumbo vs. Large
    Hi, Kay,
    me thinks 3 large eggs would make 2 jumbos. It is pretty hard to divide and egg, learned a long time ago to buy large for baking and jumbos only for eating, does not hurt to have both kinds in the fridge, especially if you bake at least once ortwice a week.
    Unless you want to go to a store, break one of the jumbos, clobber it and take out about one third of it and discrad or use in srambled eggs on that day or add to soup. Combine the 2/3 with the second egg.. It is a waste, so maybe from now on better to buy large only then you have no more worries.
    Hope your brownies turn out fine.
    Grelo
    False
  • RE: Eggs-Jumbo vs. Large
    This post was helpful for me and I will paste it below:
    Subject: FYI....~EggMath~.... Good to keep on hand!
    Posted by: Cittie Replies: 4 Posted on: 2/24/2003 9:13:49 AM
    #T145978
    Egg Math
    Most recipes are developed using large eggs. If you use an egg size other than large, you may need to increase or decrease the number of eggs you use in our recipes. Use these suggested alternatives.

1 large egg = 1 jumbo, extra-large, medium, or small egg
    2 large eggs = 2 jumbo, 2 extra-large, 2 medium, or 3 small eggs
    3 large eggs = 2 jumbo, 3 extra-large, 3 medium, or 4 small eggs
    4 large eggs = 3 jumbo, 4 extra-large, 5 medium, or 5 small eggs
    5 large eggs = 4 jumbo, 4 extra-large, 6 medium, or 7 small eggs

Hope this helps!
    False
    Nothing of value in life comes effortlessly.
  • Re: RE: Eggs-Jumbo vs. Large

Hi Grelo,

What I find is that the jumbo eggs aren't jumbo anymore!  They're about the size of what a large egg was 50 years ago.  Even 15 years ago the jumbos were alot bigger than what you buy today.

What effect would it have on the browies if you used the jumbos?

thanks!

Lynne

False

Lynne Raye

Hi Grelo,

What I find is that the jumbo eggs aren't jumbo anymore!  They're about the size of what a large egg was 50 years ago.  Even 15 years ago the jumbos were alot bigger than what you buy today.

What effect would it have on the browies if you used the jumbos?

thanks!

Lynne

Lynne, 

since you are new to this board start looking at the dates of when a post was made.

I don't know where you found this post but I hope you realize this conversation  is 7 yrs old and was posted in 2003.

As mentioned then, egg sizes are not what they used to be. I live in a small town in the sw corner of ND and we only have two smaller markets. One carries only medium and large eggs and the other carries only large and X-Large. I almost swaer that the X-Large eggs are no longer as as large as the large one were 10 yrs ago. The large eggs now look almost small and the X large are now the size of what medium ones used to be.

I use X-large in every baking recipe because of the differnce in sizes. Have not seen a Jumbo egg in almost 20 yrs. You remember eggs as far back as 50 yrs ago. Think I got you beat because I was born in 1927 and grew up ina family bakery in Germany. When I was a wee little girl farm wives used to come to town and sell fresh butter and eggs to my father to use in the bakery but the practice stopped when WW2 started.In the 30s Jumbo eggs were about the size of duck eggs and most had two large yolks.

We'll never see those those good times again..........

False
    I would use the jumbo eggs as if they were large. Cut down on the other liquids if you think it will be too loose. They only place I see jumbo eggs nowadaysis farmers markets. When I went to and then worked at an agricultural college in New York, we used to pick eggs by hand. We had some JUMBO eggs. Some had four yolks in them. I felt very sorry for the hen that laid it!
    False

When the tides of life are against you

And the current upsets your boat

Don't think of things that might have been

Just lay on your back and float

Ed Norton     1954

The Honeymooners