Is chocolate candy coating the same as almond bark? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Is chocolate candy coating the same as almond bark?

Last post Dec 09, 2004 10:55 PM by JenniD . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • Is chocolate candy coating the same as almond bark?
    In the Dec/Jan 05 issue, the Cookie Dough Tuffles recipe on page 28 calls for semisweet chocolate candy coating. Is this the same as chocolate flavored almond bark? If not, what exactly is it? Thanks for your help!
    False
  • RE: Is chocolate candy coating the same as almond bark?
    I really think it depends upon where you live. Around here, almond bark is a thin, flat chocolate candy that's chock full of almonds. It's sold for eating, not using in recipes.

Candy coating is sold in either large blocks (available at candy factories) that you have to chip into small pieces to melt, or in the little disks (usually found in craft stores, Wall-Mart, and candy-making stores).

I see people saying they use almond bark for coating and recipes, but I simply can't imagine how you could coat with it, with all the almonds in it. Or does one melt it then strain it?
    False
    here in arkansas almond bark has no nuts or anything in it, it is just a block of white candy or chocolate flat chocolate you can melt in the microwave or double boiler and add stuff to it, I have just made pepermint candy with the vanilla almond bard, melt in microwave and add beaten pepermint candy and stir in, pour into a baking sheet and let dry or cool, break into pieces and store in airtight container, melting chocolate is like chocolate chips or the bakers semi-sweet chocolate,hope this helps.Lorraine C.
    False
    I recently made the Caramel Truffles in your recent publication. Very Good!! However, after the second day the chocolate chip coating on the candy began to turn gray. I kept them at room temperature. This is not a new problem with me and I am wondering if there is a hint that you can give me to keep chocolte coatings, made with chocolate chips, from turning gray and drying out. I don't want to use almond bark as it just doesn't melt in your mouth as chocolate candy should.
    False
    Honeyjim--The grayish haze on the chocolate comes from it getting too hot when tempering (melting) it. That is the cocoa butter separating out of it. Microwaves will tend to overheat chocolate when used for melting. I have found the best way to melt it is in a stainless steel bowl over a simmering saucepan of water. The addition of some paraffin will allow it to withstand a higher temperature, too, and make the chocolate set up more firmly and glossy.
    False
    Carmellover,
    I read my issue lastnight and I was wondering the exact same thing and then figured that it had to be the almond bark. If not, I'm sure it would work.
    False