Stuck Pecan Pie | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Stuck Pecan Pie

Last post Feb 09, 2005 8:45 PM by PieChef . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • Stuck Pecan Pie
    Whenever I use corn syrup in a recipe, the crust sticks to the pan so bad it has to be chiseled out! Why? (It looks like the syrup goes below the crust and sticks like glue.)
    My sister has the same problem. How can I bake a pecan pie without it sticking? All my recipes stick! Thanks!!!
    False
  • RE: Stuck Pecan Pie
    Does this happen with frozen pie crusts also? Sounds like for some reason, your pie crusts have a small hole or a crack in them somewhere. This happens sometime if you roll the dough too thin or unknowingly maybe sticking a finger through them as you place them on the plate. At least this has been my experience. When filling goes under the crust, there's usually a hole somewhere.
    False
    I make many pecan pies and have never had that trouble. Make sure there are no holes in the crust and don't roll it too thin. Don't fill it too full. Make a nice high 'flute' around the top edge of the crust.
    False
    Just testing................
    False
    I don`t why your filling is going under your crust, sounds like maybe you ARE making your crust to thin or you`re not bringing it up high enough on your pie pan.

I made some cherry pie and some of the filling went over and really crusted on my pan. My 16 year old daughter who is pretty good in science said "Try soaking it in vinegar mom" and do you know that it just dissolved that crusted on mess. That time I did use full strength vinegar but I have since then used a ratio of 3 parts vinegar to 3 parts water and it works just as good.
    False
    Try spaying your pie pan with Pam spray before putting in the crust.
    False
    I have not had this problem with pecan pies. I make a butter crust and warm it by putting it in the oven for 5-8 minutes before adding the filling--perhaps that does it. And don't prick the crust (my mom did that once with a custard pie--what a mess!) You can check out my pecan pie recipe at http://www.piechef.com/recipes/pecan.html

Good luck!
    False