How do you measure pasta? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How do you measure pasta?

Last post Jun 09, 2009 10:35 AM by BigEater . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • How do you measure pasta?
    Is there a way to determin how much the volume of pasta changes when cooked?

If a recipe calls for one and a half cups of cooked pasta, how much dry pasta should I cook?

Does the pasta simply double in size or is it more than that?

Thank you in advance for any information you have....Anne
    False
  • RE: How do you measure pasta?
    Never measure.......
    I would cook a good two cups of pasta and whatever is left over after you make your recipe, throw it in a soup, or fry and clobber an egg over it for a pasta breakfast pancake.
    Grelo
    False
    According to the box, a pound of spaghetti dry will make about 9 cups cooked,,or 8 serveings, a half box makes about 4 and 1/2 cups cooked..When i measure my spaghetti, I make a circle with my thumb and forefinger, and what fits in that circle is enough for 2 people..( I break the spaghetti half, rather than leaveing it long,,its easier to eat,
    Macaroni is a half cup dry per serveing,a pound will give between 6 and 8 serveings, cooked.
    for my macaroni and cheese i use a cup and 12 dry for just the wife and me, which is plenty.
    Loosenut M IN
    False
    The doubling idea is pretty close, actually, I think it makes a little more than double. Grelo has the right idea though. I always cook more than I need. Pasta never goes to waste!! Warmed up next day with a pat of butter...mmm!!!
    False
    If you're trying to figure out how much spaghetti to cook, get a spaghetti serving-size measurer (I'm not sure exactly what it's called). It's just a flat piece of plastic with a small hole for one serving, a little bigger for two, etc. up to 4 servings. The one I have is small enough to keep in my spaghetti canister with the spaghetti. They have oversized servings, though, for my family of five (kids 15, 13, 5), I use the "3 servings" hole, and it's just right.
    False
    For small to med shaped pasta, like elbow macaroni or ziti; 1 cup of uncooked dry pasta equals 2 cups of cooked.

For long pasta varieties, like spaghetti or linguine; 4 oz uncooked dry pasta equals 2 cups of cooked.

One exception to the guideline is egg noodles; 2 cups of uncooked egg noodles equals 2-1/4 cups cooked.

I am with the others regarding how much spaghetti to cook. I just know how much we will use up with the sauce. If I have any leftover, I freeze it and use it the next time.

For dh and myself, 1-1/2 cups of macaroni is just the right amount for macaroni and cheese.

Kathy
    False
    Thanks for all of the information. You all were a big help. I especially like the idea of freezing the left over pasta. I never thought of that before. I suppose to thaw it, you could put it into the microwave.
    False
    Yes, you can thaw it in the microwave. I usually just set it out, still in baggie, and it thaws in no time.

Then, I heat some water in a microwave dish or a saucepan on top of the stove and just pop it in until it is heated thru.

Kathy
    BTW you can't hurt it. I always put just a little margarine or canola oil in it the first time as I am draining it. Keeps it from sticking and the oil/margarine comes right out into the water while re-heating it.
    False
    HI! I confess I've never seen a recipe that called for a quantity of cooked pasta. I agree with the others, just cook some up and have the leftovers for lunch! (put either a tomato sacue--doesn't need to have meat in it--or butter/garlic/olive oil/cheese/herbs/whatever on it and reheat).

It is hard to say how much you get volume-wise, since all shapes are different. If you make this dish a lot, you could just experiment a bit 'til you find out how much of your favorite shape you need. The easiest way would probably to figure on ounces (most pasta comes in a pound box/bag, so half of it is 8 oz, etc.)

Enjoy!
    False
  • Re: How do you measure pasta?
    Yes. It doubles, regardless of size or shape. You might be off by a gram or two, but it's always been very accurate for me.
    False