Make Ahead Muffin Batter | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Make Ahead Muffin Batter

Last post Mar 17, 2005 9:02 AM by fortyseven . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • Make Ahead Muffin Batter
    I am starting a Bed & Breakfast and would like to know if anyone has made muffin batter ahead of time & stored it. This would ease the muffin overload when serving breakfast for only two people. Apart from pre-mixing dry ingredients, can batter be refrigerated (or frozen?) for a good length of time? Thanks!
    False
  • RE: Make Ahead Muffin Batter
    There are bran muffin recipes from the 1970's that were kept in the refrigerator for long periods of time. I must warn you about a food safety hazard concerning these recipes because they use raw eggs. NEVER use raw eggs for this type of recipe, use a pasteurized egg product (such as Egg Beaters). You'd better check with the Food Safety Inspector, I'm going to bet they won't let you keep batter in the refrigerator like this at all.

There are recipes in "Make-A-Mix Cookery" and "More Make-A-Mix Cookery" by Karine Eliason, Nevada Harward, & Madeline Westover.

False
    Oh, I forgot to add... Because of the chemical leavening in muffin recipes, the batters do not keep in the refrigerator and must be baked as soon as the wet and dry ingredients are mixed together.
    False
    RAISIN BRAN MUFFIN

Serves: 18
    Effort: easy
    Comments: I usually go ahead and just make up a whole batters worth of muffins. Then I freeze what we don't eat. They heat up so nicely in the microwave.

Ingredients:
    1 cup hot water
    3 cups raisin bran cereal
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    2 eggs
    2 1/2 cups flour
    2 tsp. baking soda
    1 1/2 cups buttermilk
    1/2 cup margarine

Instructions:
    In large bowl melt margarine, add cup hot water, add raisin bran stir well, and let it get soggy. Stir in sugar (use less if too sweet)) and eggs, beating until well mixed. Blend in flour, baking soda, and buttermilk.
    Bake at 400 degrees for 18 to 20 minutes.
    Batter may be stored in refrigerator for up to six weeks.

"When life gets hectic and it's hard to cope, repeat these words, love and hope"
    False
    Here's one of those recipes from the 70's. If you use this recipe and keep it in the refrigerator, use Egg Beaters instead of raw eggs in the recipe. If you bake the entire recipe up immediately after making it, then using eggs will be fine. There are other versions of this recipe.

6-Week Muffins

1 15-oz. box of Raisin Bran, or any bran flake cereal, OR 100% All-Bran cereal
    3 c. sugar
    5 c. flour
    5 t. baking soda
    2 t. salt
    1 c. oil or shortening melted
    4 eggs (please use a pasteurized egg product instead of raw eggs)
    1 quart buttermilk

Mix all together and store in a sealed container. Keeps 6 weeks.

Bake in a 400°F preheated oven 15-20 minutes. Makes 4 dozen.

(Personal recomendation - make up this mix and bake them all and freeze them. They do not raise much, especially after they have been sitting in the refrigerator because the soda has already spent it's leavening reaction very soon after it came in contact with the liquid/acidic ingredient, buttermilk.)
    False
    I make and bake muffins and freeze them quite frequently. I will defrost and reheat in the oven or microwave. Sweet breads and coffee cakes can be treated the same way. They are still nice and moist. Nice when you get unexpected company . There is also a web site that has posted BB recipes. Will look it up and post it later.
    False
    This is the recipe I learned in Home Ec. Class years ago, that I still love today.

Make Ahead Bran Muffins

2 cups Bran
    2 Cups Boiling Water
    3 Cups Sugar
    1 qt (5 Cups) Buttermilk (1 Litre)
    3 Tbsp Baking Soda
    1 Tbsp Salt
    4 Cups Bran Flakes (or any Bran cereal, I use Raisin Bran)
    1 Cup Oil
    5 Cups Flour
    2 Cups Raisins
    4 eggs (beaten)

Mix all the ingredients together and store in the refrigerator.

Muffin mix stores nicely in an Ice Cream Pail or any 4 L container.

Use between 12 hrs – 3 months (Needs to sit in the fridge for at least 12 hours before you use it.

Bake at 400 Degrees F for 20 – 25 minutes.
    False
    I used to sell muffins regularly in a store and would make up my daily batter at the beginning of the week (wet ingredients only) and put each day's worth in a container in the fridge. I would then measure out my dry ingredients, put in a plastic bag and in the morning pull one mix from the fridge, mix in the dry ingredients and bake. This way I had hot fresh muffins daily. If you freeze, they have a slight tendency to dry out on you. This is pretty much a foolproof way to do it. You would even half the recipe of any muffin recipe. (When I did a generic mix, I was then abel to make poppy seed, orange cranberry or whatever I wanted for that day. I sold out consistently and just got very tired of doing this day in and day out for just a few dollars. I could have expanded but then got a job demaning more time and thus ended my shore muffin career! Sometimes people would call and ask for me to make special amounts for them for holidays.
    False