pie crust sticks to pan | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

pie crust sticks to pan

Last post Jul 07, 2005 10:52 AM by mket . 4 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
  • pie crust sticks to pan
    Sometimes when I bake pies, my crust sticks to the pan either on the bottom or around the edge. How can I prevent this?
    False
  • RE: pie crust sticks to pan
    Pie crust almost never sticks--there's no sugar in it (or very little), and it's got such a high percentage of fat, that it really shouldn't stick.

So my thought is this--Is your filling seeping through? Maybe through cracks, breaks in the crust, or bubbling up over the edge? The sugar in the filling would tend to glue the crust to the pie pan.

In any case, if you're worried about it, you can always give the pan a light spray with cooking spray. What DID we do before they made that stuff?--LOL.
    False
    Thanks to MapleEl. I realize that it is the filling that is seeping. I am trying to perfect a pie to enter in the fair and this "sticking" problem is a concern. For anyone who has ever entered pies at the fair, is this something that would lose points for the pie? The pie looks great and tastes pretty good, but sometimes it sticks because of the leakage.
    False
    Ah, I see. And I have a bit of contesting experience.

It really depends on the judges and how picky they want to be, and over what.

Presentation is always important--you want your pie to be as pretty as possible. As evenly browned, nicely decorated (if that's an option--pie crust leaves, or a really nice crimping job, etc).

I'd try to avoid having any leakage to make it stick, but I wouldn't get paranoid about it--if they cut the pie and mangle it, they may blame themselves.

One thing I'd recommend--try to make your apple slices as uniform as humanly possible. Some judges do check to see that stuff like that is all the same size and shape. Once, at the grand competition at our state fair, a woman and I both had recipes entered. She was very insulted, because the judges sat there and crumbled several of her cookies to see if they all had the same number of chocolate chips in them!

But then you'll have other judges who are looking for a pretty product that tastes good--you just never know.

Best of luck to you--hope you win the biggest blue ribbon at the fair. And have a great time!!!
    False
    Your crust may be slightly thinner in some spots than others. Be careful NOT to stretch the crust as you put it in the pan & leave plenty of crust to do your crimping around the edge (cut off the rest later). Too much filling results in it bubbling over & around the edge, too. Seal any cuts or tears very well--with a bit of water and a crust 'patch' as well if it needs it!
    False