Fresh Shoulder Picnic Ham | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Fresh Shoulder Picnic Ham

Last post Nov 23, 2005 3:45 PM by dutchmom4MI . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • Fresh Shoulder Picnic Ham
    Need some help. I purchased three fresh shoulder picnic hams when they were on sale. Baked one, but it really didn't turn out all that great. Slow oven till I could remove the rind, then covered with brown sugar/cloves. These are all 10-12#.

I want to do one for the NASCAR Race (11/17) so need some fast input.

Have tried finding recipes, but they aren't for FRESH picnic hams.

Please help. Thank you. Margielee
    False
  • RE: Fresh Shoulder Picnic Ham
    I do this when I have to feed large groups or small groups of teenagers.
    Cut the rind off, then rub with vinegar and season heavily with seasoned pepper. Wrap tightly in foil and put in a deep roaster. Bake all night-at least 10 hours-at 250. You'll probably have lots of liquid in the pan. Let it cool off and remove from foil. It will fall right off the bone. You can shred it and serve with your favorite barbeque sauce for sandwiches or make enchiladas or burritos or whatever your imagination leads you too. Hope this helps.
    False
    I usually cook till I can remove the rind, then honey, br. sugar, cloves and a little bit of o.j. Cook wrapped in foil and bake forever!!!
    False
    Photobucket http://chocolatechic.wordpress.com/
    I take the rind of and cover real generous with McCormick's all purpose seasoning salt, this makes it delicious, my family only leaves the bone...smile.....I bake at 350 about 20 minutes per pound or until the meat thermometer says it is done.
    False
    I remove the rind and as much fat as possible. Then sprinkle it with Lawry's seasoned salt and put it in the crockpot overnight. It falls apart and is so good. You can serve it as is with baked beans, potato salad, and cole slaw, or add barbecue sauce to it for sandwiches.
    False
    Hauling out the BIG cast iron dutch oven and putting on low for an all nighter. Will let you know how things turn out - which won't be till I get back from Key Largo on the 19th. Your instructions are making my mouth water already.

ML
    False
    My SIL has always told me and cooks her own at 350 for 45 minutes per pound. I've been waiting to put mine in so it can cook all night. Cherrill
    False
    All I do with my picnic hams is put them in a big pot and boil it ontop of the stove for about 4-5 hours or until the meat just falls off the bone. I put water in the pan, about half full, bright it to a full boil and then simmer the heck out of it....the meat is just wonderful...I could just stand at the stove and eat the meat right out of the pot. I use it for many different things...veg soup, scalloped potatoes and ham, etc.....its the best way to fix it and it is always moist.
    False
    Reply to Rockrock - all that wonderful broth to use and/or freeze. Now I am torn between your thoughts and Spraginsmom on which method to use. Good thing I have more than one of these pork shoulders. I can try both ways. Thanks.
    False

Hope to make fresh picnic ham this winter.

False