Sinking Chocolate Chip morsels | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Sinking Chocolate Chip morsels

Last post Sep 04, 2010 2:08 PM by NanZim . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • Sinking Chocolate Chip morsels
    Can someone please tell me if there is a way to prevent chocolate chip morsels (or any other flavor of morsels) from sinking to the bottom of cake batter when baking? The recipe calls for putting morsels & walnuts in the cake pan first and then adding the batter but I've found that the chips and nuts taste burnt and started putting them in the batter. They sink right to the bottom. I would appreciate knowing if there is a way to prevent this from happening.
    False
  • RE: Sinking Chocolate Chip morsels
    I'm not sure, just guessing here, but have you tried lightly, very lightly, coating in flour. That might help.

Maybe someone else knows for sure.
    False
    Candykisses is right and it works for nuts too. Take some of the flour in your recipe and put in small bowl,then add your nuts and chips and stir. Use just enough flour to coat them and then add them in when called for in the recipe-ususally last. This helps keep them more evenly distributed in the batter. I do this when I make quick sweet breads too.
    False
    If you want your chips and nuts to stay at the top, then I would suggest putting them on top of the cake about 15 minutes before it's done. Try this and see if they stay on top. Since the chocolate chips weigh more than the batter, this is why they sink. So, if you try adding them closer to when the cake is done they should stay put.
    False
    Well, now I know!! I made the chocolate chip pound cake from T O H for my daughter's b-day. The cake was wonderful, but the chips fell. I have floured fruit, but not chips. Time to make the cake again!!
    False
    Also try the same weight of mini chips. each chip weighs less. Don't subsitute the same volume though. Since the minis are so much smaller there is more chocolate, by weight, in a cup of them than there is in a cup of regular chips.
    False
  • Re: Sinking Chocolate Chip morsels

Yes...do not add them to the batter, until the batter is in your pan or cupcake tin.  Then just drop them on top,  The cake will bake around them.  I did this first, and it worked perfectly.  Second time, I mixed them in the batter, and yes, they sank and burned!!

False
  • Re: Sinking Chocolate Chip morsels
    I usually add about 1/3 of the 'plain' batter to the pan.   I mix the chocolate chips into the remaining 2/3 batter, then spoon it over the plain batter.
    False

siggie budgie-little green Duckling kissing heart  

Colossians 3:17, 23,24