pork chops always come out tough | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

pork chops always come out tough

Last post Mar 16, 2007 12:58 PM by lydbug . 12 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
  • pork chops always come out tough
    What can I do to cook pork chops so that they come out tender? Every method I have tried doesn't work. My kids won't eat tough meat so I end up throwing them out. Oven temperature?
    Frying temperature? Is slow cooking the secret?
    False
  • RE: pork chops always come out tough
    That's what we are having for dinner. I sear the chops on both sides, put in a ovenproof dish. Mix 1 can tomato soup with 1 can of cream of mushroom soup. Pour over chops, cover and bake at 350 for 1 hour. The sauce is great over the chops as well as rice.
    False
    Try soaking them in a salt brine that morning and let them set all day in the brine (in fridge).

Depending on how much meat, 1/4-1/2 cup of salt to a gallon baggie of water. Put chops in and let set, in fridge, all day. Kosher salt is the best. Mine always turn out tender.
    False
    If you have a meat thermometer cook them to 145 degrees( the nasty bugs are killed at 140 degrees). Let them set like a steak(just a few minutes) and they will be tender. Now days they don't have the problem of carring tricenosis, so we don't have to cook them so long.

Hope this helps you.
    Karen:)
    False
    I cook mine in an electric skillet with the cover on. They always come out tender.
    False
    Try braising. Place in skillet and add water to just cover the chops. Cover skillet and put on low heat. When the water is gone, they will begin to brown. At this point you can salt and finish browning or add a box of long grain and wild rice with it's required water and seasoning packet. The chops will be very tender and you have a rice side dish-all in one skillet.
    I haven't done this in years because we follow a vegetarian diet now. But this method always worked great for me.
    False
    They need to cook long at all.
    DS likes shake & bake the best (rolling my eyes)
    False
    My favorite way to make pork chops is to rub them with a mixture of 1 cup brown sugar and 1 tablespoon salt. Let sit in the refrigerator for at least one hour (I think the longer, the better). Then grill over medium heat until done.
    False
    I'm with you Kat16.
    I always made the most horrible pork chops. Always so tough... I had given up until I tried Shake and Bake for Pork....
    just shake and bake. I take them out just a few minutes before the time suggested and they are good.....
    Maytime
    False
    We love porkchops. Do you want to fry them or bake them? Either way, use only center cut chops, don't get the "assorted" chops. As a child we used to visit my Grandma after church on Sundays, and she would have fried porkchops and bread and red cabbage for my dad and me and my older brother. This was served at 10AM!! At 10 years old I learned to fry porkchops from Grandma by watching, as she spoke only Polish. For frying, I do this to this day: Salt and pepper the chops on each side then pound the chops using an edged pounder, such as a plate. Fry until browned on each side, then add a little water--enough to cover the bottom of the fry pan. It will sizzle and tenderize the chops...turn the chops over, keep the heat high, add water if necessary. They will be brown and tender.

If baking chops...have a mixture of 2/3 breadcrumbs and 1/3 Kraft grated parmesan cheese and salt/pepper. Have another bowl for flour, and one for beaten egg...dip chops into flour, then egg, then bread crumb/parmesan. Refrigerate 2 hrs or more if possible. Place in oblong baking pan that is Pam sprayed. Also Pam spray the chops. Bake uncovered until done, about 1 hr...for extra tender, loosley cover the pan w/foil.
    False
    I would suggest slow cooking with liquid. You are right: it is so easy to prepare tough chops. You might want to find a recipe where you brown your chops then pop into the oven in a little bit of liquid and seal the pan/dish with foil.
    False
    And you know what, if you want to please a man, probably the best thing you can do is forget the major recipes and do the shake and bake for pork as others have mentioned. While it is baking fix a box of Stovetop stuffing for pork. You can save yourself several hours in the kitchen and men normally love it!! Fluff up the meal with a good veggie or salad. Good luck.

I love to cook from scratch but I learned a long time ago that the meal that is most appreciated may be the simplest.
    False
    My mom did this and I do now too! We take pork chops, fresh or frozen and put in a small amount o water in a glass casserole dish in oven . temp 350* If frozen takes 2 hours. fresh only 1 hour. The last 1/2 hour mix 1 can cream of chix soup (per 3 chops) with 1 can milk and pour over top. We then put a chop on a bed of rice. MMM! Moist chops!
    realslpano - adding the tomato soup sounds delvcious.. I am going to try that for supper tonight!
    Hope this helps you with moist chops.
    False