Watery Potato Salad | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Watery Potato Salad

Last post Sep 14, 2007 8:48 PM by IrisWi . 12 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
  • Watery Potato Salad
    Whenever I make potato salad and refrigerate the left overs it gets watery. I dice russet potatoes and cook until just done. Rinse twice in cold water and drain. Dressing is Miracle Whip Lite with a little mustard and a little fresh dices onion. I add a teaspon of dill.
    Any suggestions to prevent the sauce from breaking and getting watery?
    False
  • RE: Watery Potato Salad
    Why do you rinse twice. I never rinse twice. It may be that your potatoes are sucking up to much moisture from the water.
    My potato salad is never watery. If anything I have to add liquid from the pickles or relish I am using.
    False
    i boil the whole potatoes, no dicing. i just rinse the spuds off in cold water, and then set them in the sink drainer or on the cutting board to cool off.
    i've noticed you have to keep the potatoes at a good boil. don't let them sit in the hot water.
    it may be your lite miracle whip, too. too much water content.
    False
    I never rinse my after cooking. I just pour off the hot water and drain good. Never had a problem with it being watery. All I put in mine is boiled eggs, homemade pickled relish, celery seed and mayo.
    False
    I also never rinse my boiled potatoes...I just drain and let them cool and then refrigerate a bit for them to cool down and get ready to cut/dice. and then make my salad.

I do not rinse or put directly into the fridge...The steam that gets on the lid could make them mushy...I let them cool down until the steam is gone before refrigeration.
    False
    In fact , I have some in the fridge right this minute ready to make my potato salad...I use miracle whip, diced onions, salt and pepper, a little white vinegar to give some zing..Mix gently...Then I top with (or mix in) some sliced or quartered hard boiled eggs...and sometimes, I also put in sliced radishes...

Can put paprika on top if taking somewhere with the sliced eggs...but normally I don't...

In fact , I'm going upstairs right now to make my salad....Bye!!!
    False
    I never use Miracle Whip-only mayonaise. I find that adding pickle relish will add mositure. A tip that works for me is to towl dry all ingredients then mix with mayo. Hope this helps.
    False
    If you potato salad is runny try this... After you drain the potatoes, don't rinse them. Infact, put them back on the stove for a minute or two while you stir them. Yuo will hear a hissong sound. That is the remaining water boiling away. Make the salad as usual. If it still ends up watery add about a 1/2 cup of plain dry bread crumbs (or more if it needs it. But it is always easier to add than take away!).
    False
    I always boil my potatoes and then peel and dice them. I also do not let them sit in water. But i also make my own boiled dressing.
    False
    I, also, do not rinse my potatoes and I do not over cook them, either.

And, when you chop up your onions, green pepper, celery and dill pickle place in a couple of paper towels. You will be amazed of how much water comes out of the vegetables.....

Kathy
    False
    It's the Lite Miracle Whip. Regular works and I think the Fat Free works too but the Lite goes watery.
    False
    I rinsed my boiled potatoes once to cool them off quicker and found that I also rinsed out all the flavor!!

Cover your bowl LOOSELY to avoid condensation which waters the salad.

Also, I use Miracle Whip Lite and have never had a watered down salad.
    False
    Have to add though that I do like to add a small portion of Mayo to the Miracle Whip Lite for flavor, and chopped boiled egg ( 1 egg per two potatoes). The egg makes it creamy and adds more flavor. As it is, you will have much more flavor in your own recipe if you boil your potatoes with skins on, cool on counter-top, then skin and dice with no rinsing.
    Wait 'til you try the no-rinsing--you'll see your recipe is even better!
    False