Freezing cabbage before making stuffed cabbage??? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Freezing cabbage before making stuffed cabbage???

Last post Oct 23, 2013 12:31 AM by davidjackson . 26 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 2 of 2 (27 items) 12
  • RE: Freezing cabbage before making stuffed cabbage???
    My grandmother liked V8 juice too. She didn't like heavy sauces, so she would put the the cabbage rolls into a roaster without any sauce and put them in a 425 dgree oven uncovered for 10 to 15 minutes, just until they start to smell like they are browning a bit on top. Then she would pour a small can of V8 juice over the rolls, enough to coat the surface, cover and bake like anitamcd does. They came out very tender and translucent, the V8 gave a nice color and a bit of tomato flavor.
    False
    We also have forgotten to take out our cabbage before we needed to make our rolls. We just ran it under cold water,cut out the big viens and put them into a colander. By the time we had all the leaves off they were ready to roll. We also cut our big leaves in half as we like to take the smaller ones to parties. My husband is the official stuffed cabbage make of the family. Later I will post his recipe,He is Slovak. Uses garlic, mix of pork and beef and also the kraut.delicious!
    False
    Does the cabbage need to have the core removed before frezing?
    False

Rebecca

Yes drpnoss, I do remove the core before I freeze it. Then it is easier to remove the leaves.
    False
    What a great idea! I have done the boiling water thing for years, but now I'm anxious to make stuffed cabbage and try freezing the head.
    False

I also have done the freezer cabbage thing,but like GranMarion my cabbage rolls end up rubbery. I bake them for 2 hours at 350*
    should I bake them longer or what?
    False
    anitamod asked what to do with the excess cabbage. Since freezing drives some water out, the leftovers, shredded and mixed with ground pork or chicken, a bit of ginger and soy sauce, would make a great egg-roll or pot-sticker filling (while you're stuffing things.

Also, you could mince it very fine and add it (at the last minute) to chicken noodle soup.
    False

Linda,  You really found a good one !   Thanks  for the heads up ! 

Janie

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

My church makes a lot of stuffed cabbage in the fall (about 50 cabbages worth).  For the past few years, we tried something new.  We bought the heads, cored them, and froze them right away.  When it came time to make the stuffed cabbage, we would thaw the cabbage, boil them and then make them.  Well the leaves always were stringy and difficult to cut.

This year, we are going to boil the cabbage and separate the leaves, and then freeze them.  How does this sound to everyone?  Think it will be better?  Thank you.

False
    Hi and thanks for this tip,do I need to core the cabbage and does plastic wrap keep it for months? Thanks !
    False

A post from the past.. Interesting.

First, freezing tends to dry out anything that has not been tightly wrapped and sealed to preserve the natural fluid content of the product.  So, yes, wrap the head of cabbage in several layers of plastic wrap and then inside a zip lock bag.  Don't core the cabbage as this will enhance the drying out process which is what you will be trying to avoid.

I have been making cabbage rolls for close to 50 years and have never even heard of freezing the head instead of parboiling the leaves.  So, it goes to show that there is always something new under the sun.

My concern is that freezing does not kill any latent bacteria.  If you are going to use this method instead of the hot bath to make the leaves pliable for rolling, you really need to wash them after you have taken them out of the freezer.  Or, if just removing the leaves from the head is easier when the head has been frozen, I would still go ahead and plunge them into boiling water. 

Not only does the hot water bath make the leaves more pliable, but it lessens the cooking time for the finished products, depending on your method of cooking. Some prefer to bake them, others to cook them in a Dutch oven. So, you will need to adjust your cooking time accordingly. 

Hope this helps to answer some of the questions regarding this.. as I stated I have not frozen cabbage before making cabbage rolls, so I am speaking just from my general knowledge of how things work. 

False

♥ Life is a song, sing it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a dream, realize it, Life is a sacrifice, offer it. Life is love, enjoy it. And, life is cooking, eat it. (Sai Baba & Judy)

♥ Judy Batson, Volunteer Field Editor, Taste of Home, 2009 ♥ Contest Winner, Country Woman, 2011♥ Meet me at Cooking for Two.

• Re: Freezing cabbage before making stuffed cabbage???

I like to make stuffed cabbage but find the blanching of the cabbage leaves to add an extra difficulty, mostly because I tend to over-blanch and they tear. I was curious to see an episode of Julia & Jacques today in which they seemed to be saying that freezing a cored head of cabbage has the same effect as blanching the leaves separately. 

False