FoodSaver questions | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

FoodSaver questions

Last post Sep 01, 2003 5:38 PM by Josephus . 13 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
  • FoodSaver questions
    I have a FoodSaver and was wondering the proper way to vacuum seal fresh veggies and fruits, for the freezer. For example, I bought fresh green beans. Can I vacuum seal them raw or should they be blanched first?
    What about fruits like strawberries, etc?
    Thanks
    False
  • RE: FoodSaver questions
    Joiful, I'm new at the Food Saver experience, too. As for green beans, they should be blanched first. I would freeze the blanched green beans and strawberries on cooky sheets first and then seal them in bags. My SIL thought she was doing me a big favor and washed a big bagfull of her home grown green beans. She then put the big bag in the freezer. I never told her but I had to throw them away.
    Have fun with your Food Saver!
    Rosemary
    False
    HI joiful! The reason to blanche your green beans, broccoli, etc. is that the produce itself contains enzymes that ripen it--they continue to work after it's picked so if you don't blanche before you freeze they get 'over-ripe' & mucky.

Freezing on cookie sheets first is a good idea if you want a 'loose pack'--but not necessary if you freeze in meal-size portions. I did strawberries this way, but unfortunately my freezer was defrosted inadvertantly and they all melted and refroze together!
    False
    Thanks MaRose, I appreciate your help. I will blanch the green beans and then freeze them first. Regarding the strawberries, if I want to freeze these in a foodsaver bag, do I do anything special to them? Do you just wash them, freeze on a cookie sheet and then seal in bag?
    Thanks so much for taking the time to help!
    False
    Patty, thank you too! Your explanation was very helpful!
    False
    I just got a Foodsaver also. The booklet has a time table about how long to blanch fresh vegetables before freezing them.
    False
    It's even best to freeze any meats that you're going to pack on a cookie sheet before vacuum sealing so you don't inadvertantly suck any blood into the vacuum. You can however put your meat into the bag before you freeze it so it's portioned properly. Just make sure to wipe the inside and outside of the bag lip with paper towel to dry the condensation you'll get from freezing the bag.This ensures a good seal. John
    False

John

John

“Then He'll call me some day to my home far away, where His Glory forever I'll share.”
    The Food Saver is the best thing since sliced bread. I would like to add that when corn comes in wow you know it hits you hard. I went thru 750 ears of corn last year. Be sure and blanch the corn and let it cool on towels so as the water will be gone. Pack the corn in the bags by the size of the cob. It tates just like you pulled of the stalk. Until I started doing this I could taste freezer burn and would not waste my time putting the corn in the freezer. We eat corn on the cob until it comes in again.......
    False
    Joiful, I'm sorry that I didn't get back to you right away but yes, you should wash strawberries first. You could also slice and sugar them if you wanted to put them in the bags to freeze before sealing. Do as John suggests about drying any condensation off the bag before sealing. Happy sealing!
    Rosemary
    False
    Thanks to everyone for all your help! I am looking forward to preserving lots of fresh veggies and fruit in my Foodsaver.
    False
    Missnelliebell, I can't wait for the sweet corn season to get here! I've never frozen corn on the cob before and am looking forward to trying it. They grow some awfully good tasting corn around here.
    Rosemary
    False

Hi guys,
    I blanch my green beans then put them in a salad spinner to remove all the moisture before sealing them with the Foodsaver. Works great!
    False
    I just found this site on the Foodsaver and have a question. How do I prepare and freeze sliced and shredded zucchini? Do I need to blanch the zucchini before I shred or slice it? Thank you for your help.

Sally
    False
    To all persons who are freezing corn; After you blanch the ears, put them in cold water, with ice or cubes in the water. If the cob is not cold, then the freezing process will draw the heat out of the cob through the kernals. This could give the kernals a bad cob taste. It happened to me and the corn tasted terrible. Good luck.
    False