crock-pot pot roast | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

crock-pot pot roast

Last post Feb 01, 2008 12:56 PM by ddimarro . 5 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
  • crock-pot pot roast

I'm not really good with pot roasts - but want to make one in the crock this weekend.  There are 2 types on sale this week - boneless chuck pot roast & Boston butt roast...which do y'all reccommend?  Thanks! 

False
  • Re: crock-pot pot roast

Chuck seems to be the cut of choice for pot roast.

False

Community Manager

Taste of Home Magazine

Feel free to contact me if you have questions or concerns with the Taste of Home website or community.

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sstetzel.toh@gmail.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

If you opt for the Boston Butt, the below recipe sure looked good when she fixed it on her show.   I, myself, do not use her seasoning mix.   Way too much salt for my taste.

The Lady and Son's Smoked Boston Butt Roast
    Recipe courtesy Paula Deen
    Show:  Paula's Home Cooking
    Episode:  A Southern BBQ
    The Lady and Son's Smoked Boston Butt Roast
    1 (5-pound) pork butt roast
    4 tablespoons House Seasoning, recipe follows
    2 tablespoons seasoned salt
    4 tablespoons liquid smoke, found in grocery store
    1 medium onion, sliced
    1 cup water
    3 bay leaves
    Barbeque sauce of choice, for serving

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Sprinkle 1 side of the roast with 2 tablespoons of the House Seasoning, making sure to rub well. Flip the roast over and rub the remaining 2 tablespoons of House Seasoning. Repeat the process with the seasoned salt and liquid smoke. Place the roast in a large roasting pan. Add the onion, water and bay leaves to the roast. Place in the oven and cook for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or until thermometer reads 170 degrees F. Let meat cool for a few minutes and then slice.

Serve with your favorite barbeque sauce.

House Seasoning:
    1 cup salt
    1/4 cup black pepper
    1/4 cup garlic powder

Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

False

Just don't forget that a chuck roast is beef and a boston butt is pork.

False

Here is one I think you might like!!

1 package au jus dry mix,1 package Italian dressing dry mix,1- 12 oz can tomato sauce,1 roast,baby carrots( adjust size to your taste) 2 medium potatoes peeled and cubed. Put potatoes and carrots in bottom of pot. Mix dry mixes with sauce, put a little over the potatoes,then add the roast,put rest of sauce over the meat. slow cookfor 8 1/2 hrs on low or high for 4 1/2hours.

Let me know how you like it!!

sharon

False

Never-fail pot roast recipe - Put your roast, a can of cream of mushroom soup, a packet of onion soup mix (cheap black label is the only kind I buy - 4/$1) and a soup can full of water in the crockpot.  Stir it around a little, turn it on low & forget about it for 4-5 hours.  Throw in some potatoes & carrots & cook it for a couple more hours.  You can also use the same recipe & cook it in the oven or on top of the stove in a Dutch oven. 

This is good with pork or beef.  The best beef roast, in my opinion, is an Eye of Round.  They cost a little more but there is no waste on them like other cuts. 

False