Need your help! What do you add to a store-bought can of frosting (i,e,Pillsbury) so the frosting doesn't harden but stays moist? Do I add white Karo syrup or marshmellow fluff or non-dairy creamer and if so how much to a can of store bought frosting. I | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Need your help! What do you add to a store-bought can of frosting (i,e,Pillsbury) so the frosting doesn't harden but stays moist? Do I add white Karo syrup or marshmellow fluff or non-dairy creamer and if so how much to a can of store bought frosting. I

Last post May 12, 2008 11:41 AM by intent . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • Need your help! What do you add to a store-bought can of frosting (i,e,Pillsbury) so the frosting doesn't harden but stays moist? Do I add white Karo syrup or marshmellow fluff or non-dairy creamer and if so how much to a can of store bought frosting. I

False
  • Re: Need your help! What do you add to a store-bought can of frosting (i,e,Pillsbury) so the frosting doesn't harden but stays moist? Do I add white Karo syrup or marshmellow fluff or non-dairy creamer and if so how much to a can of store bought frosting
    I have never doctored up bought frosting. I'm baking three cakes Wednesday for my church kids and have canned frosting bought.....I'm anxious to see what I should do to make it better.
    False
  • Re: Need your help! What do you add to a store-bought can of frosting (i,e,Pillsbury) so the frosting doesn't harden but stays moist? Do I add white Karo syrup or marshmellow fluff or non-dairy creamer and if so how much to a can of store bought frosting

I've never doctored purchased frosting either, but I have found that the frostings labeled "fluffy" stay moist longer.  Betty Crocker has a new one in this area called "Fluffy Whipped Cream", and it is delightful. 

False
    Char
  • Bumping for more ideas. Thanks again!

False
    My friend adds 3 ozs. of cream cheese and beats it well.
    False
  • Re: Bumping for more ideas. Thanks again!

I empty the can into a mixing bowl and beat it with my electric hand mixer.  It gets fluffier and goes farther.  If you add to the frosting it may get "watery" or separate.  My guess would agree that cream cheese would be okay.

False

I have heard that you can add Cream of Tartar but I don't know how much, sorry. HTH

False
    Roen If you won't stand up for our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!!!

I don't know about adding something...I've heard of whipping it to go further.  I did help in the church kitchen during our recent rummage sale (also sold lunch) & was told to heat up a container of pre-made, purchased frosting in the microwave until it was liquid...then I poured the chocolate frosting over a chocolate bundt cake.  Worked well & made a nice glaze.

False

I just put a cake under it thats itWink

False

I LOVE to take milk chocolate canned frosting and add 1/3 cup smooth peanut butter to it. It makes the fudgiest chocolate peanut butter frosting imaginable!

False

I've never had purchased frosting of any brand get hard.  I like frosting to firm up on top so it won't be sticky if you want to put Saran wrap over it.  Thanks to others for their good ideas.  The chocolate/peanut butter addition sounds good.

False

I mix mine so that it gets fluffier and also I usually add some type of extract to take the store bought taste from it.

I use Vanilla Extract a lot in store bought frosting (a teaspoon goes a long way and will give it that home made taste) 

I have also used Almond Extract or peppermint extract depending on what type of cake I am making.  I have even added banana extract to cream cheese icing to give it a little hint of banana flavor when making a banana cake.

I try to just make the icing have a little bit of flare to match the cake. I know this won't help with the hardness of the icing but after I mix it with the electric mixer I never have had a icing get hard on me. (actually I don't think I have ever had a store bought icing get hard)

I also have done as stated above and if you need a glaze put the icing in the microwave for 30 seconds to a minute and it makes a great glaze (I put it in a sealed Food Savor *unsealed in the microwave* then seal it when it comes out...after sealed I cut a tiny snip in the corner and I have the perfect icing bag for my glaze (don't suck the air out of the bag with the Food Savor just seal the bag) 

False