Expired Sour Cream | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Expired Sour Cream

Last post Apr 18, 2008 10:56 PM by mapanda . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • Expired Sour Cream

If sour cream is not used by the "use by" date on the label, is it safe to use?

Certain recipes call for "sour" milk. Are there any recipes that call for "sour" sour cream?

False
  • Re: Expired Sour Cream

Sure it's still safe to use.  If there is mold on top, scoop that out, and extra.  it's already sour!  Don't know of any recipes that call for sour sour cream, but it your sour cream still looks good, your fine.

False

The stuff has so many preservatives in it you could use it as embalming fluid.

Like someone said, take off the  mold and enjoy.....................

False

What preservatives?  I just read the label:  cultured pasturized grade A cream (from milk) an enzymes.  What's wrong with that?  Doesn't sound like preservatives to me.

False

Diva, look at some off brand fat free sour "cream" containers. Not everybody buys the one made from nothing but whole cream.

I bet you don't buy "Cool Whip", neither do I.

I use home made yogurt instead of sour cream and buy some whipping cream only if when  make a cakle for a special occasion to give to someone else. Remember, I no longer have a husband to cook for and my taste and needs  are simple; not to forget at my age I try to keep my cholesterol below 200.

False

I've noticed how long leftover sour cream lasts in the fridge.  My luck, whenever I make something with sour cream in it, I never need the entire container, so I always have leftover.  It lasts quite a while in the fridge.  As long as it doesn't smell rancid to me (and obviously still looks edible LOL), then I use it.

False

I have used expired sour cream many times.  But I do throw it away if I see mold on it, or if it looks watery to me. 

Margaret

False

If your spirit is grateful and humble / your tongue won't constantly grumble.