Why do my rolls taste like biscuits???? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Why do my rolls taste like biscuits????

Last post May 13, 2008 8:34 PM by hobbiethecat . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • Why do my rolls taste like biscuits????

OK all you pros.  I need help.  My hubby's aunt makes the best rolls.  She gave me the recipe, and they turn out like biscuits.  What am I doing wrong.    THey are called quick rolls.  Basically you mix your flour, shortening, baking soda, baking powder  and yeast mixture.  Roll it out onto a floured surface and cut with a biscuit cutter.  You only let them sit for about 15 - 20 minutes before you bake them.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong.   Do any of you have this recipe?

False
  • Re: Why do my rolls taste like biscuits????

Hmmm, I actually have a recipe for bisquits that sound the same as yours.  But mine are expected to taste like bisquits.  Not sure how to stop that from happening.  I have an easy bun recipe, very simple, but takes all day, but my goodness, they are so light and fluffy!  They are next to no work, just have to let them sit and rise all day.

Air Buns.½ cup white sugar1 tbsp. yeast2 tbsp. vinegar½ cup lard or shortening4 cups warm water1 tsp. salt

Add all ingredients.  Add 8-10 cups flour, until dough is no longer sticky.  Knead well.  Let rise for 2 hours.  Knead down and let rise for 1 hour.  Knead down and form into buns.  Let rise for 3 hours.  Bake at 400º until golden brown.  Yield: 5 dozen buns

False

Here is the recipe,  it has yeast in it also. 

2 pkg. Dry yeast                              1/4 cup sugar, divided¼ Cup Very Wary Water                  1 Cup Shortening5 Cups All Purpose Flour                 1 Tsp. Soda3 Tsp. Baking Powder                      1 Tsp. Salt2 Cups Buttermilk ·       Dissolve yeast and 1 tsp. Sugar in water.·       Combine shortening, flour, soda, baking powder, salt and remaining sugar.·       Stir in buttermilk.·       Combine flour mixture and yeast mixture. MIX WELL·       Turn dough out onto a lightly floured board and knead until smooth and satiny.·       Roll dough out to about ½ inch thickness.·       Cut with a 2-inch biscuit cutter and place rolls on greased baking sheets.·       Allow to stand at room temperature 15-20 minutes.·       Yield about 3 dozenDough may be stored in refrigerator and used as needed

False

When it says 'knead until smooth and satiny", how long do you knead it? Bread dough is usually kneaded 8-12 minutes(depending on recipe). I personally don't think I have any recipes for bread or rolls that calls for both yeast and BP & BS. But I could be wrong Stick out tongue

False
    Roen If you won't stand up for our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Hobbie, the recipe you posted is like my Angel Biscuit recipe and they do taste like a very light biscuit.  Don't know what your hubby's aunt does to them to make them taste like yeast rolls.  Can you ask her?

False

why don't you just call them biscuits and every one will think they are just awesome biscuits.

False
    Amy

That is so funny - I think I'll do that :)

I've asked her and she says she hasn't got a clue.   I'm going to make her make them for me one day.   I'm going to load up all the ingredients and take them to her house one of these days.

Thanks for replying!!!

False