Fruit Platter to serve 100 people | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Fruit Platter to serve 100 people

Last post Jun 04, 2008 7:25 PM by pastry_princess . 4 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
  • Fruit Platter to serve 100 people

A Lay Pastor is getting commissioned in our church. Directly after worship service, we are having a reception for her. We want to serve a cheese and cracker tray and a fruit tray along with punch and coffee. How do we figure out how much fruit to purchase?

False
  • Re: Fruit Platter to serve 100 people

I'd go to either google.com or ask.com & type in food quantities for a crowd...I'm sure you'll be directed to web sites that can give you some estimates.  Also, some cook books have a section on cooking for a crowd.  Also, you can go to the library & check out some cook books that cater to cooking for large groups.  Any caterer's in the church?  They could give you a lot of help.

False

I did google this question and there was one site that gave me some insight. Most were using amounts for a side dish; not a short reception period. I have already checked my cookbooks. I have probably 100 of them.  No caterers in the church. I would have already asked them.  I will probably go with an amount in one of the websites and cut it down by 1/4.  Thanks for your quick reply. I appreciate it.

False

I found a web site that suggested 3 oz. of cheese per person for an appetizer & 6 oz. per person for heartier portions if it was more likely to be a main course.  The weather may play a part too.  If it's a hot day, the fruit might be more popular.  Don't know if you're planning on serving chunks of cheese or if you're going to be serving cheese balls and/or spreads, which might use less.  Usually when we're having a reception for a new pastor or saying good-bye to one, we either have a pot luck or cake & coffee.  Maybe you could stretch out your fruit & cheese platters with some sliced nut breads or coffee cakes - cupcakes seem to be very popular lately.  Good luck.  I find it's tough to guess how much people will eat.  I once helped out at a spaghetti dinner at church & we had a record crowd....I served some of the people at a table & told them to start eating because we were out shopping for more spaghetti & sauce, so the other side of the table was going to have to wait a bit before they got their dinner.

False

I made100 fruit kabobs for my daughter's graduation party and they were very popular.  I used 3 cut up pineapple, big bag of red seedless grapes, big bag of white seedless grapes, 5 containers of strawberries, and 2 small jars of marachino cherries.  Sorry, not sure what the weight was of the packages of grapes and strawberries, just whatever Wal-mart had available.  I threaded onto a wooden skewer a red grape, then whole strawberry, then white grape, then pineapple slice, then red grape, then another pineapple slice, then white grape then cherry.  I laid the fruit kabobs around a large round platter pointing towards the center and it was VERY pretty.  Had lots of compliments!

Laurie

False