Shredded zucchini - what about the water? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Shredded zucchini - what about the water?

Last post Aug 29, 2008 7:52 PM by BirdseyeMI . 4 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
  • Shredded zucchini - what about the water?

When recipes call for 2 cups shredded zucchini, do you shred a bunch of zucchini and then strain or squeeze the water out and measure 2 cups, or is that two cups of what you get when you shred it? 

And if you are freezing the shredded zucchini, do you take the water out first, or after you thaw it? 

And if you are supposed to take the water out before you measure it for a recipe, how much zucchini do you have to shred to end up with 1 (drained) cup of shredded zucchini?

False
  • Re: Shredded zucchini - what about the water?

Hey there,

I have the same questions,  although it will be too late, I just froze about 6 bags of zucchini  about 2 cups each, last night.   I removed most of the water,  but now I'm wondering if I should have and when I go to make something will it make a difference? 

Sheriwv

False

I hope this helps. In zucchini bread and other baked products I have never squeezed out the water. It just helps make the bread moist. When I fry it, I drain it a little just so there is less moisture to have to cook down. I always freeze it without straining it. The quality of the frozen zucchini is still good when I defrost it.

False

Thanks for the information. This is the first year I have worked with zucchini and I had some of the same questions. I haven't frozen any yet but need to soon. How long can you keep the zucchini after picking it before you use it? Do you need to keep it refrigerated? I have just been storing it out in our garage.

False

Never throw out the natural water from zucchini, your bread will be dried out after you bake it. Shred it as soon as possible and freeze it. Yummy

False