What can be used to take the sting off your hands after working with jalapenos? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What can be used to take the sting off your hands after working with jalapenos?

Last post Aug 13, 2009 4:32 AM by tipdec1234 . 15 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 12
  • What can be used to take the sting off your hands after working with jalapenos?
    False
  • Re: What can be used to take the sting off your hands after working with jalapenos?
    Calamine lotion, Caladryl, lemon juice, and rubbing your hands against stainless steel ( a sink maybe). I googled these, have not tried them.
    False
  • Re: What can be used to take the sting off your hands after working with jalapenos?

False

SALT!!!  My sister chopped them once and her hands were on fire. I had heard that rubbing your hands with salt would work so we tried it.  She got her hands damp not wet with water and rubbed about a tablespoon of regular table salt on them and then rinsed them.  It worked as long as she kepted her hands out of the dish water.  But in the morning her hands were ok.  I heard once but have  not tried it but rubbing your hands with milk would also work.  I know when you eat something hot your supposed to drink milk not water to cool your mouth off. 
    False

I have heard to use a piece of bread. You are suppose to rub the bread in your hands. Don't ask me. It is suppose to take the oils that are in the peppers away from your hands. That is what causes the burning sensation. Keep your hands out of water.
    False

A better solution is to use gloves when working with them.

I bought a box of kitchen gloves last year from the local restaurant supply house--and have wondered many times how I EVER got along without them for the past 40+ years of cooking.  They're so useful for so many things--working with things like raw meat, where you don't want to get bacteria on your hands, then contaminate something else; working with smelly ingredients like onion/garlic; to protect your hands from things like hot peppers; to keep your hands clean when you're working with sticky doughs or rolling meatballs.  I'm always grabbing a pair of gloves these days in the kitchen. 

False
    I soaked my hands in part water and part bleach. It worked but if they got wet again it started again.
    False

make a paste, slightly thin, of milk and flour.  coat on hands and allow to dry. then rinse off with cool water. may have to be repeated a few times but does work.

False
    mackee

The reason your hands burn to begin with is from acid in the peppers. Bleach is probably the worst thing to use because it is another form that will burn your skin the same as natural acid. I cook a lot with peppers, most commonly serrano, and I find that lemon juice or milk are the right way to go. I actually had neither one day when making salsa and found that washing my dishes with lemon dish soap seemed to work too. The combination with the water was quite nice on my hands. I've tried gloves but personally don't like chopping with them on, so I try to keep lemon juice in stock now.

Then again, I'm sure the milk/flour paste works best.

False

Um...no.  Capsaicin, the molecule in the peppers which causes the problems, binds to neural receptors, mimicking the reaction triggered when skin is burned or suffers an abrasion.  Bleach binds to capsaicin, preventing it from binding to the neural receptors.  (also, if it WERE an acid issue, acid + base = salt + water.  Neutralization reaction.)

5 parts water + 1 part bleach.  Dip your hands.  Wash w/ soap and water.  Repeat if necessary.

False

Try soaking them in a bit of milk.

I had have not found anything to work that great except for wearing gloves.

***NOT latex gloves as many people are allergic to latex and you do not want to "contaminate" the food.

False

Taste of Home Field Editor. Blogger & Photographer.  http://nutmegdisrupted.com/

I usually use gloves but if you get into trouble, a mixture of sugar and hand lotion helps. Just keep scrubbing you hands with it like you are washing up with soap.

False

I don't think there's actually anything that will work to remove the sting.  I once chopped about 5 pounds of jalapenos, plus peeled a bushel of tomatoes, and my hands were absolutely on fire. (So was every little spot my hands touched, like the side of my neck and my forehead where I brushed back my hair!)  I tried everything - milk, oatmeal, aloe, lotions, creams, benadryl - and even called a pharmacist and my local ER for help. Nothing anyone suggested stopped the burn.  I ended up sleeping on the couch with my hands in a pan of ice water.  The next day the burning had stopped, but my hands peeled (just like from a sunburn) a couple of days later. 

Just be sure to use gloves next time, or use a food processor or chopper instead of bare hands.

False

When I handle Jalapenos, I put on latex gloves.

False

This is a guess, but when anyone around here gets a bee sting I make a paste of baking soda and it takes the sting out and leaves no bump from the sting, I guess it wouldn't hurt to try it? I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Chris

False
    Chris