A better solution is to use gloves when working with them.
I bought a box of kitchen gloves last year from the local restaurant supply house--and have wondered many times how I EVER got along without them for the past 40+ years of cooking. They're so useful for so many things--working with things like raw meat, where you don't want to get bacteria on your hands, then contaminate something else; working with smelly ingredients like onion/garlic; to protect your hands from things like hot peppers; to keep your hands clean when you're working with sticky doughs or rolling meatballs. I'm always grabbing a pair of gloves these days in the kitchen.
make a paste, slightly thin, of milk and flour. coat on hands and allow to dry. then rinse off with cool water. may have to be repeated a few times but does work.
The reason your hands burn to begin with is from acid in the peppers. Bleach is probably the worst thing to use because it is another form that will burn your skin the same as natural acid. I cook a lot with peppers, most commonly serrano, and I find that lemon juice or milk are the right way to go. I actually had neither one day when making salsa and found that washing my dishes with lemon dish soap seemed to work too. The combination with the water was quite nice on my hands. I've tried gloves but personally don't like chopping with them on, so I try to keep lemon juice in stock now.
Then again, I'm sure the milk/flour paste works best.
Um...no. Capsaicin, the molecule in the peppers which causes the problems, binds to neural receptors, mimicking the reaction triggered when skin is burned or suffers an abrasion. Bleach binds to capsaicin, preventing it from binding to the neural receptors. (also, if it WERE an acid issue, acid + base = salt + water. Neutralization reaction.)
5 parts water + 1 part bleach. Dip your hands. Wash w/ soap and water. Repeat if necessary.
Try soaking them in a bit of milk.
I had have not found anything to work that great except for wearing gloves.
***NOT latex gloves as many people are allergic to latex and you do not want to "contaminate" the food.
Taste of Home Field Editor. Blogger & Photographer. http://nutmegdisrupted.com/
I usually use gloves but if you get into trouble, a mixture of sugar and hand lotion helps. Just keep scrubbing you hands with it like you are washing up with soap.
I don't think there's actually anything that will work to remove the sting. I once chopped about 5 pounds of jalapenos, plus peeled a bushel of tomatoes, and my hands were absolutely on fire. (So was every little spot my hands touched, like the side of my neck and my forehead where I brushed back my hair!) I tried everything - milk, oatmeal, aloe, lotions, creams, benadryl - and even called a pharmacist and my local ER for help. Nothing anyone suggested stopped the burn. I ended up sleeping on the couch with my hands in a pan of ice water. The next day the burning had stopped, but my hands peeled (just like from a sunburn) a couple of days later.
Just be sure to use gloves next time, or use a food processor or chopper instead of bare hands.
When I handle Jalapenos, I put on latex gloves.
This is a guess, but when anyone around here gets a bee sting I make a paste of baking soda and it takes the sting out and leaves no bump from the sting, I guess it wouldn't hurt to try it? I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Chris
© RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC 2014