Our 10 most popular recipes for the month delivered right to your inbox!
I cannot seem to melt butterscotch morsels without burning them. I have tried in the micro on 70% power checking ever 10-15 seconds and on the stove top in a double boiler stirring constantly. Any suggestions on how to melt them without burning them?
I had trouble with chocolate seizing until Footsie gave me this hint. FOOTSIE'S HINT: Once the chocolate is almost melted, put the bowl on a heating pad. (I used a glass bowl on top of a pan of hot water to partially melt the chocolate.)~~Vicki
I melt semi-sweet; white; and butterscotch chips in the microwave.
My method is to put them in a microwave safe bowl (is your bowl the problem? Try putting it in the microwave with water in it for 1-2 minutes. If the water is hot, and the bowl is cool, you're okay--other way around, and you shouldn't use that bowl for microwaving). I zap on full power for 1 minute. Remove and stir. Return to the microwave for 30 seconds, stir. Repeat. BUT I take them out before they're completely melted. When the chips are starting to get melty, but you can still see small lumps, just take the bowl out and stir until they're completely melted. Be patient, and don't try to rush the process. Be sure to stir after each heating increment--even if it doesn't look as if they've started to melt, it's important to redistribute the heat.
Had the same problem until I read directions(You know, when all else fails?) Chips will NOT melt in and of themselves by simply heating. If you continue to heat them, trying to get them to melt, the WILL burn. They MUST be stirred.
Heat them at 50% power for 30 seconds in the microwave, Remove, stir with a rubber spatula and repeat. Keep repeating until, when you stir they are mostly melted with small lumps swimming around. You can then safely finish the process by just stirring. You will be surprised at how little time it takes.
© RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC 2014