How to make jam thicken? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How to make jam thicken?

Last post Jan 05, 2012 7:18 PM by 6553133 . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • How to make jam thicken?

I am new to canning-just started this year. The first batch of jam I ever made (strawberry) set up beautifully-turned out so well I may just enter it inthe county fair. Then I made more, which did not set up, so I had to open the jars and re-cook it. The restof it, the blackberry (16 half pints) and the apricot-pineapple (12 pints) never set up. I am following the directions to the letter, but don't know what i m doing wrong.I am becomming a pro at opening all the jars and re-cooking  all of it (it does set then). Anybody know what to do out there? Thank you in advance for your help!!

False

"Practice random acts of kindness"

• Re: How to make jam thicken?

I am not an expert but I believe that you didn't have enough pectin in your fruit.  Locals around here use tart apples to add to their jam for pectin.  I also read in a book that once it fails - just use it for a sauce on pancakes or ice cream - people call it sass.  I love to can, not too experienced with jam and jellies although I am learning.  Wish you luck,

Janet

False

Did you use certo or some other brand, they often have a 800 number to call for help with not setting up

False

Thanks ladies-- I am cooking down the apricot-pineapple  jam today and it looks a bit thicker, I appreciate your help (this has the BEST flavor) so is still a sucess, but I pray for thicker. My kids dipped their toast for breakfast in it, and teenaged boys with homemade jam is a great combination!!  I used some Certo pectin  that I had and some by Ball (never mixing the two) so I hope it will turn out. The last jams that I made that did this and  set up  nicely with the second cooking, I was just hoping for ideas on how to make it set up the first time. I think perhaps my fruit was too ripe (what is better than fresh apricots, strawberries, blackberries, etc?), I appreciate your help!!

False

here is the formula: don't do more than 8 cups of un-set jam/jelly to a batch: for EACH 1 cup of UN-SET jam/jelly add this: 1-1/2 t. pectin (dry) 1 Tb. water 2 Tb. sugar for 8 cups unset jelly/jam : mix pectin & water. bring to boil add sugar & unset jelly/jam. return to HARD BOIL for 2 mins. remove from heat & fill jars & NEW lids. water bath 5 mins.
    False

Thanks, Doogle!! I will try this. I think my fruit was a little on to ripe side, too,  that probably was what did it. I did re-cook it and it set up beautifully, sure is good!! Thank you all for yur help with this!!
    False

Hey there,

Well I hope you are still reading your replies :-)  What I do is 1/2 again the amount of pectin it calls for in the recipe.  You have to watch this though between the fruits that have an abundance of natural pectin, i.e. apples to those who seem to need that extra little amount otherwise you may come out with jams/jellies which are way to stiff.

ONE BIG TIP!!!  CHECK THE EXPIRATION DATE ON YOUR PECTIN!!!  If it is expired or close to being expired throw it away.  I used to be "cheap" about this but when you are dealing with 12-24-30 jars of jam/jelly and the time it takes you to open and reprocess all those jars that came out either soupy or unsealed you have a lot of time and money invested...far more than the cost of just buying some fresh pectin.  some of my friends were having the problem of their jams/jelies not setting up and come to find out that their pectin expired 2-years previous :O

Hope this helps!!! :-)

False

if the jam is not setting properly, try to add the juice of a lemon and boil it. 

False

I have been making jam for 30 years, and the only time the jam failed to set up was when I used Ball pectin.  In the future, use Sure-Jell or Certo.

~~Vicki

False

What is unset mean? I just made some strawberry jam and the fruit is at the top and the liquid is at the bottom of the jars. What am I doing wrong?
    False
    How do they use apples? How many, peeled or unpeeled,mashed?
    False

Hi Vicki,

When you are cooking the fruit do you drain the liquid before adding the sugar and pectin?

Linda

False