how to freeze apples for pie | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

how to freeze apples for pie

Last post Sep 11, 2009 4:10 AM by tipdec1234 . 5 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
  • how to freeze apples for pie

How do you go about freezing apples for pie

False
  • Re: how to freeze apples for pie

A easy way to do this is to make your pie filling just as if you were going to bake the pie.  Freeze it in individual 9-inch metal pie pans. When frozen, remove the filling and place in heavy duty freezer bags. When you want to bake a pie, just make your crust, grab the frozen filling, and bake.

False

My grandmother just made up her apple pies and frozen them before baking.  She would thaw and bake as needed.

Brenda/Ind

False

I just peel, slice and measure the amount I need for a pie and put in a plastic bag.  They may darken a bit but that doesn't matter in the final outcome.  Just thaw a bit & mix with 1 cup sugar, 3 Tbsp.tapioca, dash salt and maybe a Tbsp of cornstarch depending on moisture.  I usually use 6 cups for a 9" pie.  I'm all for "Easy."Big Smile

False

I always make peach pie filling by mixing my filling (add a little lemon juice so they don't discolor) and then load it in gallon ziplocks (1 pie per ziplock)  expell any air out of the bag and freeze flat ( more conservative for freezer space).I bet apple pie would be the same.I always add a little  tapioca after it is thawed before itis baked so it will thicken.This is how we ALWAYS get fresh peach pie in the dead of winter (a wonderful thing, and quick toput together). Big Smile

False

"Practice random acts of kindness"

I freeze it in a airtight container
    False