Cutting Rutabagas | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Cutting Rutabagas

Last post Dec 28, 2009 4:16 PM by shepards . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • Cutting Rutabagas

Help!  I have difficulty getting rutabagas cut into pieces.  I have peeled and cut the ends off but it is difficult cutting thru the whole vegatable - does anyone have a tip how to get this done?

False
  • Re: Cutting Rutabagas

I don't think there is an easy way to cut rutabagas. I use my largest chef knife, slice a little off one side to level the rutabaga, start the cut, then move my fingers and  push on top of the blade with a flat hand and push on the handle. I hope this helps.

False

When the tides of life are against you

And the current upsets your boat

Don't think of things that might have been

Just lay on your back and float

Ed Norton     1954

The Honeymooners

Thank you for responding.  I ended up putting one in a bowl, covered with water and steamed for about 5 minutes on medium in the microwave.  Knife went thru much easier.  I didn't want to risk cutting myself - I am a terror with knives.  I will see if this changes the taste once I complete cooking with the roast.

False

That sounds like a great idea! I will have to try that at Thanksgiving. Thank you for the tip.

False

Ed Norton     1954

The Honeymooners

Rutabegas are terrible to peel and cut just like those heavy winter squashes. Someone is selling a wooden board with a knife attached that cuts down on heavy things like a giant cleaver. Clever but sort of an occasional use sort of tool. If I was Martha Stewart I would have one!

I remember my father splitting a huge Hubbard with a hand axe. I have since read a hint that said to put the squash in a big paper bag and drop it onto concrete to break it into pieces. Lovely!

False

PLEASE -- NEVER, EVER USE A KNIFE THAT IS TOO BIG FOR THE TASK AT HAND!!

Using "your biggest chef knife to cut a rutabaga, is like using it to cut a pea"!!! Try using it to peel an apple!!!

Big is not always better!! You can peel it after it is semi-cooked-zapped-or ---

Again - PLEASE be careful when using knives!!! Imagine functioning without fingers!!  

False

kitzer

PLEASE -- NEVER, EVER USE A KNIFE THAT IS TOO BIG FOR THE TASK AT HAND!!

Using "your biggest chef knife to cut a rutabaga, is like using it to cut a pea"!!! Try using it to peel an apple!!!

Big is not always better!! You can peel it after it is semi-cooked-zapped-or ---

Again - PLEASE be careful when using knives!!! Imagine functioning without fingers!!  

I think you misunderstood me. I don't peel with the chef's knife I cut the rutabaga up with the chef's knife. The rutabagas I get are about 6-7 inches in diameter. I don't think using a 12 inch chef's knife is out of the question. Plus, I have big hands and I feel very comfortable with this knife. I only use it for big jobs. I have about 30 knives that I use regularly.I normally use my 8 inch chef's knife, but I bring out the big guns for the big jobs. I hope this clears up any misunderstanding.

False

Ed Norton     1954

The Honeymooners

I think you want to steam in the microwave to soften them up. 

False