Baking Time for 2 Cake Mixes In One 13x9x2 Pan | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Baking Time for 2 Cake Mixes In One 13x9x2 Pan

Last post Dec 11, 2009 11:45 PM by cast_iron_king . 4 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
  • Baking Time for 2 Cake Mixes In One 13x9x2 Pan

In a bind-I need the baking time for 2 cake mixes in a light Wilton 13x9x2 pan....anyone know?  Thanks for your help.

False
  • Re: Baking Time for 2 Cake Mixes In One 13x9x2 Pan

I'm bad about knowing baking times, I usually go by the look as it bakes and start checking it when it looks done.  Two full mixes in a wilton 9x13 is a lot, I usually use about 1-1/2 in that size, so I am sure it will take awhile. 

False

Are you talking about 2 layer cake mixes?  you can't put 2 of those in a 9 X 13.  A 9 X 13 only holds ONE - 2-layer mix or recipe.  Unless you want a mess in the bottom of your oven, I'd recommend you mix up one mix, bake it, then make the second and bake it--and put them together with frosting, pudding, jelly or whipped cream.  you are going to end up with a rather tall cake, of course.

As to baking time, for ONE mix in a 9 X 13, it's going to take a bit longer than layers.    I'd start checking at about 35-40 minutes, but expect it to take probably 50 minutes, maybe a little longer.  It will also help the cake bake more evenly, if you turn the oven down about 25 degrees.  The larger the object your baking, the lower the temp needs to be so it bakes through, before the outside burns.

False

I assume she's using a wilton 9x13 sheet pan, not just a 9x13 like you'd buy at walmart or whatever, it's a true 9x13 and to get a 2" deep cake it does take about 1-1/2 cake mixes. 

False

.  Use the toothpick test to determine when the cake is done.

False

I don't often get asked to define irony, but when I do, I always say,

"Why, yes.  Yes, I AM a Field Editor for Taste of Home."