Raw eggs+sugar+beating=safe to eat raw eggs? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Raw eggs+sugar+beating=safe to eat raw eggs?

Last post Jan 25, 2013 9:40 AM by Cook_aholic . 13 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
  • Raw eggs+sugar+beating=safe to eat raw eggs?

In a recent Taste of Home show it was mentioned that there is a chemical process that occurs when you beat raw eggs with sugar making them safe to eat.  How long do you have to beat them for this to occur/are there any other specifics to keep in mind?

False
  • Re: Raw eggs+sugar+beating=safe to eat raw eggs?

Not having been at the show to know under what circumstances this was presented, let me say that the answer is one of the iffy ones. 

Technically, adding sugar to eggs "cooks" the eggs after about five minutes.  But, in every circumstance involving raw products and the question of whether it is safe to eat, a great deal depends upon the manner in which it was handled prior to preparation, the manner of the preparation and the time from when it was prepared until it is eaten. 

Were I you, I would rely only upon a known expert source before I would assume anything iffy is safe to eat.  Just because you see something on the internet or in writing doesn't make it true.  So, be careful, and be well.

Good question, and good for you for asking.

False

♥ Life is a song, sing it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a dream, realize it, Life is a sacrifice, offer it. Life is love, enjoy it. And, life is cooking, eat it. (Sai Baba & Judy)

♥ Judy Batson, Volunteer Field Editor, Taste of Home, 2009 ♥ Contest Winner, Country Woman, 2011♥ Meet me at Cooking for Two.

I know sugar is a preservative, and that prevents bacteria and such. But it won't kill what is there already, and as far as "cooking" the eggs, I wouldn't trust that either. It will "chemically" cook the eggs, but you need heat to kill pathogens. Just my two cents.

False

When the tides of life are against you

And the current upsets your boat

Don't think of things that might have been

Just lay on your back and float

Ed Norton     1954

The Honeymooners

In times past I always made eggnog and ice cream with raw eggs.  I believed that the alcohol "cooked" the eggs in the eggnog and I just didn't worry about them in the ice cream. I still don't like either one when it is cooked.  I haven't made eggnog in a long time and now I make ice cream with a cooked recipe but I still don't like the taste or the texture as well as when made with raw eggs.  Recently I have discovered that the local PUBLIX stores carry pasteruized eggs.  They are a little "pricy" but it would be worth it for something very special once in a while. Possibly you can find the pasteurized eggs in your area.

False

I`m not to sure about the sugar thing but I have used raw eggs when I make ice cream. But when I do I use those "Egglands Best" eggs. They are pasteurized. If you want to know your eggs good, float them in just plain cold water and if they float up to the top they`re not good.

False

I've always used raw eggs when making homemade ice cream.  Laying hens now days are kept in a clean environment and I wouldn't worry.  Eggs are also 'candled' & checked before being packaged.  It's not like when I grew up on a farm and the chickens had the run of the place.  Who knows what they would pick up??  I held my breath when I went in to 'gather eggs.'  I know that's what the "natural" health advocates want but it's not the safest and surely not the cheapest!!  Farmers care deeply for their animals of all kinds despite what PETA says.  You can't beleive what they say.  Talk to a real farmer if you want the facts.  That is how they make their living and they only want what's best for their livestock.

False

Egglands Best eggs ARE NOT PASTEURIZED!!!! The only one in fairly wide distribution is Davidson's Safest Choice. 

False

You cannot see bacteria inside the eggs when they are candled.

As living beings, chickens naturally carry bacteria in their intestinal tracts. Sometimes this bacteria migrates into the hen's ovaries. It does not make the hen sick and you cannot tell by looking at her if she has it. This happens to all hens, no matter where they are raised. As a result, salmonella can be present inside raw eggs.

It is important to note that the ONLY WAY to be sure that an egg is free of pathogens is if the egg is pasteurized. They will be marked with a red P inside a circle.

You can learn more at www.safeeggs.com

False

Sounds to me that they are only pasteurizing the shell. The only way to pasteurize the white and yolk is to heat them and that will cook them.

False

When the tides of life are against you

And the current upsets your boat

Don't think of things that might have been

Just lay on your back and float

Ed Norton     1954

The Honeymooners

I may have more than one post, because my laptop decided to be stupid while I was typing. At any rate, I was watching a Christmas episode of "Ace of Cakes" where professional Chef Duff Goldman decided to surprise everyone with homemade uncooked egg nog. He addressed the issue of raw egg safety in the nog. he specifically stated that blending the sugar with the eggs kills bacteria that may be present (paraphrased). Basically, pasteurizing the eggs. 

I'm not certain if you have to mix the sugar and eggs together specifically or if you cream butter and sugar together and then add eggs if it will have the same effect. If you're worried about it eggs, pasteurizing eggs is easy.

Fill a pot with cold water, place room temperature eggs in the water. Place over medium heat, and bring temp to between 140-150 degrees ( when bubbles begin to form on the bottom of the pot). Remove from heat and allow eggs to sit in the water for 3 minutes. That's it, your eggs are now pasteurized and safe.

According to egg beaters, they are pasteurized; however, they're not as healthy for you as you think. In a recent article I read, egg whites will cause your blood sugar to spike, because your body absorbs it like sugar  (not good if you are a diabetic). The blood sugar spike does not happen with the whole egg (white and yolk).

Hope this helps.

references:

www.kitchendaily.com/read/20-healthy-foods-are-actually-unhealthy

www.howtobaker.com/techniques/baking/how-to-pasteurize-eggs/

False

Wow, I've never heard of this!  I will have to do a little research and dig a bit deeper to make sure this is correct.  Thanks for the intriguing question!!!

False
    ~Tina

If you want to know if your eggs are good float them........only tells you if an egg is fresh  or old. Not how safe it would be to eat raw....Why risk eating an egg that might be questionable?  Tuberculosis is not a good disease.

False

Live your life so you don't have to hide your diary.

Absolutely. I always float my eggs. If they float they are rotten. I don't want to discover that by breaking them open! During the holidays I purchased eggs 5 dz at a time. I had several that were floaters and I had just bought them. After checking for quality, I pasteurize the eggs as I stated in a previous post. Like I said, it is so easy to do. I have a plastic egg case which is specifically labeled pasteurized (in case I don't get a chance to treat the eggs). Also, some refrigerators have an "egg shelf or bin". That's not a really good idea. Eggs should remain covered. I guess the eggs lose moisture or something when they are left in a fridge uncovered. I read it about 15 years ago and don't remember the specifics. When I need to make hard boiled eggs, I always buy the eggs about 2 weeks before I need them. The fresher the eggs when you go to boil them, the more likely they are to stick to the shell. I also let them sit out on the counter a day or two before cooking them. Eggs can sit out and last about a week on the counter. I do however always do the float test again before cooking them. I rarely have messy hard boiled eggs as a result. I know some of this is off topic, but I am pretty specific when it comes to eggs, and am always reading up on techniques I may not be aware of.

False

Below is a link to a really good article about "homemade ice cream" and making it safe.

http://articles.herald-mail.com/2011-07-20/news/29797088_1_ice-cream-custard-base-american-egg-board

kathy

False

Taste of Home Field Editor since 2005