Easy Way to freeze pumpkin or winter squash | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Easy Way to freeze pumpkin or winter squash

Last post Nov 03, 2006 2:19 PM by dutchmom4MI . 13 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
  • Easy Way to freeze pumpkin or winter squash
    We grow small pie pumpkins(6-8 inches across) . When they are picked and I want to do my freezing , I wash them well, break off stems and prick or pierce each one ( like a baked potato)and place 4-6 pumpkins on a cookie sheet and place in oven on 350 degrees and cook until they are completly done . 1 1/2 -2 hours ,according to how big they are. When they test done with a fork I remove them and slice them open. let cool for a short time until you can handle them and scoop out the seeds and discard and then scoop out the soft pulp into your freezer containers,I scoop the pulp into a measuring cup so that I have the exact amount I need for a pie or pies. I also have done one in the microwave whole and pierced . I do it on high and the time varies according to the size . You can also do one in the crockpot the night before you want to make a pie and add 1/4 cup of water to the crockpot ( no need to pierce) and on low for 6-8 hour you have a cooked pumpkin.Is their anyone else who does them this way? It is so easy.
    False
  • RE: Easy Way to freeze pumpkin or winter squash
    Fresh pumpkin is so good & seems sweeter than what comes in a can. I try to always have some in the freezer. I'm hungry for pie just thinking about it!
    False
    Yes.....I've done them both in the oven and the microwave. It seems so much less fuss than peeling them, or boiling them , or any of the other suggested methods! I haven't done the crock pot method though......but I certainly will, now! :-)
    False
    Does anyone home-can pumpkin? I prefer to can my stuff because I'm always in too much of a hurry to thaw food that's in the freezer.
    False
    That sounds so easy, just picked a bunch of winter squash and am going to try it. Thank you!
    False
    To patty613
    False
    TO patty613 : Yes I have canned pumpkin
    years ago, until they came out with the warning that dense foods like pumpkin and squash were safer frozen . This is what the article said: strained pumpkin no longer is recommended to be canned. It is suggested that pumpkin be cubed and canned in a pressure canner at 10 lbs. pressure, pint jars 55 min., quart jars 90 minutes . Peeling and cubing takes longer plus the time is so long in the canner , I gave it up
    False
    I have a meju-mijah juice extractor that I use for pumpkins. It's a type of steam juicer. I cut them into about 4-6 pieces lengthwise, seed them, and lay them in the top. Steam them until they are soft. Take them out and let them cool on cookie sheets, then scrape the flesh out of them, puree and freeze.
    False
    Thanks oakhill!
    False
    Sure wish I had read this BEFORE I cut that pumpkin into chunks. Now what do I do with it????????
    False
    HI marjilee: Since you've already done all the work in cubing your pumpkin, I'd just boil it until soft, then mash and freeze it (you might need to use a blender if it's fibrous, depending on the variety and size of the pumpkins). The nice thing is, it'll cook fast!
    False
    I too have used this method for freezing winter squash and it's SO
    EASY!!
    False
    Thanks oakhill! I only grew one pumpkin this year BUT it was shaped like a gourd. I have used your method THE HARD WAY by making my husband cut the BIG BOYS in half first and puting them face down in about an inch of water and then cooking them in the oven, scooping, etc and freezing BUT I have had this lone pumpkin (very odd shaped sitting here for a month.(How was I going to cut it in half?) It was very very dry here in NE Penna and when the rains finally came in late fall the vine took on new life with blossoms and all but it was TOO LATE - hence the lone pumpkin! Now I will pierce it and cook it pronto using your method. Today I desired to enter into God's Rest hence my name(so much activity, it's really quite enough) I am glad to be a new member of the bulletin board. I've learned so much already!
    False

Thank you!!!
    I have 3 squash and 1 pie pumpkin.

False