Homemade angel food cake | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Homemade angel food cake

Last post Sep 19, 2010 10:48 PM by ecoemma . 14 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
  • Homemade angel food cake

I made an angel food cake for the first time yesterday and it came out dense.  The recipe called to fold the flour gently into the egg whites after they had been beaten until stiff peaks formed.  No matter how gentle I was at folding the flour into the egg whites by the time I had incorporated all the flour the batter was partially deflated leaving a somewhat dense cake that wasn't as high as I would have liked.  Does anyone have a trick or a different method to making this cake so that it rises high and is light and airy??

Thanks!!!

False
  • Re: Homemade angel food cake

I found that if you use a balloon whisk to fold, it works out better. It keeps the batter fluffed up a little better. Also, use cake flour and not all purpose. It will be lighter.

False

When the tides of life are against you

And the current upsets your boat

Don't think of things that might have been

Just lay on your back and float

Ed Norton     1954

The Honeymooners

It has been my experience that a scratch angel food cake is more dense than one made from a cake mix or purchased.  I grew up making them from scratch and thought that was the way they were supposed to taste.  LOL!   Using a whip certainly might help.

False

I haven't made an Angel Food cake is a long time. I used to make them all the time (and my family inhaled them).  Once my DH bought a Angel Food cakemix and I about had a fit - I seldom use a box mix for any cake.

I have several different really great recipes for Angel Food Cake.

When I was a teenager (longgggggggg time ago) I got a 2nd place at the County Fair.

Oops I meant State Fair.

False

Did you use creme of tartar to stabilize the whites?  It really helps keep them fluffy.  I fold in the flour with a rubber spatula, just a little at a time.  And yes, it's denser than the store-bought cakes.

False

I don't often get asked to define irony, but when I do, I always say,

"Why, yes.  Yes, I AM a Field Editor for Taste of Home."

Could you post some of your angelfood cake recipes.  I am getting a lot of country eggs now and would love to try net recipes.  Also if you have some good hints to use the yolks I would love that too.  Thanks  Anna

False

I hope these to not all run together.

My favorite Angel Food Cake recipes!!

ANGEL FOOD CAKE                                                    

Set out but DO NOT grease – 12-inch tube pan, 4-inch deep

Measure & sift together 3 times:

(flour-sugar mixture) 1 C sifted cake or regular flour,  7/8 C sugar

Measure in large mixing bowl:

1 1/2 C egg whites                          

1 1/2 t cream of tartar                                   

1/4 t salt

1 1/2 t vanilla

1/2 t almond extract

Beat until foamy, gradually add 2 T sugar at a time, continue beating until meringue holds stiff peaks.

3/4 C granulated sugar

Fold in flour-sugar mixture gently 1/4 cup at a time until mixture disappears. Push batter into ungreased tube-center pan. Gently cut through batter with a table knife. Bake at 375°F for 30 – 35 minutes. When cake tests done, invert. Let hang until cold.

ANGEL FOOD DELUXE CAKE

Measure & sift together 3 times:

(flour-powdered sugar mixture) 1 C sifted flour, 1 1/2 C powdered sugar

1 1/2 C egg whites                          

1 1/2 t cream of tartar                                   

1/4 t salt

1 1/2 t vanilla

1/2 t almond extract

Beat until foamy, gradually add 2 T sugar at a time, continue beating until meringue holds stiff peaks.

1 C granulated sugar

Fold in flour-sugar mixture gently 1/4 cup at a time until mixture disappears. Push batter into ungreased tube-center pan. Gently cut through batter with a table knife. Bake at 375°F for 30 – 35 minutes. When cake tests done, invert. Let hang until cold.

BROWN SUGAR ANGEL FOOD CAKE

Measure & sift together 3 times*:

(flour-brown sugar mixture) 1 C sifted flour*, 1 1/4 C packed brown sugar*

1 1/2 C egg whites                          

1 1/2 t cream of tartar                                   

1/4 t salt

1 1/2 t vanilla

1/2 t almond extract

3/4 C packed brown sugar

*Be sure brown sugar and flour is mixed good – I use a wire sieve and a wooden spoon, pushing through

2-3 times until mixed thoroughly. (This takes the place of sifting).

MOCHA ANGEL FOOD CAKE             Very good!! 

Cocoa powder and Kahlua make this cake a devilish good version of a low-fat classic. Top with fresh berries and confectioners’ sugar. (We like it plain).

3/4 C whole-wheat pastry flour or unbleached flour (used all-purpose flour - the 3x I have made it - it was just fine)          

1/4 C unsweetened cocoa powder                         

1/4 t salt (optional)                                 

1 1/4 C sugar (divided)          

12 egg whites (about 1 1/2 C)

1 t cream of tartar

1/4 C coffee-flavored liqueur or strong brewed  (coffee liqueur is best)

1 t vanilla

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Combine the flour, cocoa, salt (if using), and 1/4 cup of the sugar in a sifter. Sift onto a piece of wax paper. Repeat the sifting 3 times. Return the mixture to the sifter.

Place the egg whites in a large bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and beat until the whites are stiff but not dry.

Gradually fold in the remaining 1 cup sugar. Gradually sift flour mixture over the batter, folding after each addition, until all the flour is incorporated.

In a small bowl, combine the liqueur or coffee and vanilla. Gently stir in 1 cup of the batter. Pour over the remaining batter and fold until incorporated.

Pour the batter into a dry 10 inch straight-sided tube pan. Bake for 55 minutes, or until the top springs back when lightly touched.

Remove the pan from the oven and invert it over the neck of a sturdy bottle to cool. Let stand for 1 1/2 hours. When the cake is fully cool, run a knife around the edges of the pan to remove the cake.

Makes 16 servings  Per Serving:  111 cal., 0.2 G. total fat, 0 G. saturated fat, 3.7 G. protein, 23 G. carb.,  0.7 G. dietary fiber, 0 Mg. Cholesterol, 43 Mg. Sodium

False

As for the egg yolks;

Old fashion homemade egg noodles

Betty Crocker cookbook should have a sponge cake that uses a lot of yolks + some eggs.

False

'Boiled mayonnaise!  

False

Polish Twists take a dozen yolks.

False

Thanks so much to each of you, I have copied and pasted the recipes in word.  Today or tomorrow I am going to try the chocolate angel food.  I am sure it will be delicious and then I am going to try the homemade noodles as I cooked a wild turkey that DH killed this spring and I have lots of good broth and turkey meat to use for good old turkey and noodles.  Thanks again, Anna

False

My mom's cousin, who has been making Angel Food cakes for decades, swears by sifting the flour 4 times.  Don't know if that affects the denseness tho.  Her cakes are requested all over western Minnesota!

False

I want to ditto Anna...Thanks to all who responded to my query :)  I would love for all to continue to add your imput into the wonderful ideas for homemade Angel food cake. I have been trying all ideas and techniques and my cake has gone from A FLOP TO THE TOP THANK TO ALL OF YOU!!!  Bless you all!!

Cleo

False

Just as an added note, I have been experimenting with Splenda as a way to reduce the calories in my angel food cakes and have discovered that even though Splenda says that you can use it cup for cup (I know that is true) as regular sugar but your egg whites won't whip into stiff peaks that way.  What I have found is that I have to use 1/2 super fine sugar that you put into the egg whites tablespoon by tablespoon while it is whipping but you can use the other 1/2 amount of Splenda in the flour mixture that you sift and then fold in after the egg whites are whipped into peaks (in other words, if your recipe calls for 2 cups sugar you can use one cup sugar in with the egg whites to make them whip into stiff peaks and then sift the other cup of Splenda with the flour to be folded in at the end) .  At least I am reducing the caloric intack by 1/2 :)  My angel food cakes are still rising high and fluffy this way!!!

False

wow thanks for sharing

i want to try the 2nd one

False
    eat healthy and happy My collection of Health Tips