How to improve on a cake mix? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How to improve on a cake mix?

Last post Oct 20, 2010 4:08 PM by becky66 . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • How to improve on a cake mix?

What could I add to a cake mix to make it taste more homemade?I read two tablespoons of mayo would do. I made a Pillsbury Funfetti cake but it tasted just like a box mix. The kids didn't care one way or the other but I wondered what I could have added to make it taste just a bit more homemade. Any other suggestions?

Thank you.

False
  • Re: How to improve on a cake mix?

1 cake mix of your choice --duncan hines or pillsbury cake mix only

1 small pkg. instant pudding

2 eggs

2 cups milk

Mix everything together and believe me you will have a moist delicious cake that people won't know it's a store bought cake mix. You can even liven it up with different cake mixes and different puddings to make it specilly unique of different varieties. Enjoy! 

False

posted by Dianag:

I think I found this recipe here, but I didn't write down who posted it - sorry!   I use it for every box cake I make, and it certainly makes a difference in the taste and texture.   

Any Cake

1 cake mix (I always use Duncan Hines)
    1 small box instant pudding mix (any flavor to go w/cake flavor)
    4 eggs
    1/2 c. vegetable oil
    1 c. water

Combine ingredients and prepare as directed on cake box. 

Enjoy!

Diana

False

The easiest thing is just to add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or lemon flavoring if you are making lemon cake, coconut flavoring if you are making coconut cake, you get the idea). This is what I always do and everyone thinks I bake all my cakes from scratch.
    False

My cousin's wife is a great cook & 4th of July made cupcakes for us.  She used a Geradilly (sorry about the spelling....think up-scale chocolate) chocolate cake mix & used coffee for the water....everyone was raving about them & eating several.  Think she might of added coffee to the frosting too.  When I asked her for her recipe...she laughed & said it's a mix. 

False

I add vanilla to light cake mixes and coco to choc cake mixes..makes a big difference in the taste,  just make the cake mix according to the box only adding 1 teasppon vallia or one table spoon coco.  ..

False

My cousin's wife used the following recipe for their son's graduation cakes last spring, and they were delicious!

1 cake mix

3 eggs

1 tablespoon vinegar plus enough milk to make 1 cup

1/2 cup vegetable oil

1 tablespoon flavoring of choice (lemon extract for lemon cake mix, vanilla or almond for white mix, etc. You can experiment with this)

Then just mix the above ingredients, and bake for time indicated on box.

Good luck!

False

Becky

Taste of Home Field Editor

"It's not cooking if you're not making a mess."