cookies | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

cookies

Last post Apr 25, 2012 6:09 PM by 1275 . 3 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
  • cookies

I need some tips when baking cookies I follow the recipe and my cookies always come out flat.  what can I do so they do not turn out flat as soon as I pull them from the oven.

False
  • Re: cookies

I know one factor in baking cookies that are flat, is the flour and other ingredients that make the flour rise (like baking powder or baking soda). How you mix the ingredients may be a factor too- are you mixing the wet ingredients in a separate bowl from the dry ingredients? You should mix the dry ingredients in a different bowl, then add the mixture to the wet ingredients.  Be sure to cream the marg./butter with sugar if the recipe calls for it. Hope this helps.

False

Keep Smilin'! A good laugh- for any reason- will do anyone good!

It could also be because the dough needs to rest a bit in the fridge before you bake it. 

Or if your cookie sheets are warm when you put the cookie dough on them it will begin to melt or spread out and give you flat cookies as well.  Be sure to let them cool completely after one batch is done before you put the next batch on them. 

And are you using butter, margarine, or shortening?  That can make a difference in how they turn out as well. 

False

I know exactly what you mean when you say you have problems with flat cookies because a lot of the time I do too. Sometimes I have no idea how they got that way, but their are a few things you can look out for.

- is there too much butter (or other fat ex. shorting, margarine) in the recipe? Some recipes may be this way but you could decrease the fat in the cookie if you are having the flat cookie problem. The dough might also need to refridgerate. Also, I have found this to be another factor. Some recipes call for parchment paper to line your baking sheets with. I used to think that simply greasing the pan would would be a good substitute. I rarely grease my cookie sheets these days, even when the recipe says too. Greasing the cookie sheets will cause the cookies to spread, so we aware of this. And don't be worried that the cookies will stick to the sheet if you don't grease it, this is never a problem with me. 

False