Water Bath | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Water Bath

Last post Aug 16, 2012 8:08 PM by jetfan27 . 4 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
  • Water Bath

I am baking my first cheesecake using a water bath.  Can someone tell me what adjustments should be made to a recipe if you're baking with a water bath?  I am halfway through the baking time, and it still looks raw!

False
  • Re: Water Bath

Sometimes the time on cheesecakes has to be extended, it's always best to take visual cues.  If you shake the pan gently the very center will jiggle a little.  It will finish setting up as it cools.

True

Online Community / Field Editor Manager

Feel free to reach out to me anytime!

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sue.stetzel@RD.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

Thanks for the help!  It is out of the oven now cooling; center has set and it didn't "souffle-up" and then fall and crack like they usually do.  Wish I had tried this a long time ago!

False

I've made many cheesecakes in my crock pot with water underneath. I use a glass baking dish and it doesn't quite fit all the way to the bottom of the crock pot (the pot is oval-shaped), and I just put 2-3 cups of water in the crock pot. I use a graham cracker crust mix in the bottom of the baking pan, then fill with my cheesecake batter. It never cracks, and turns out great!

False

Keep Smilin'! A good laugh- for any reason- will do anyone good!

Glad it worked out for you.  Cracking is usually caused by the incorporation of air into the batter. I cream my sugar and cheese very wel at medium/ high speed until very smooth. Then I add my sour cream and flavoring in first speed. Then the eggs, one at a time in first speed and scrape the bowl after each egg. I don't like crust on my cheese cake so I bake mine in a 10X3 cake pan, well greased. I also start with very hot water in my bath and I bake at about 300  until done. I fill my water bath  until it comes up halfway up my cake pan. I let it cool down and then I get two cardboard rounds to remove the cake. I sprinkle sugar on top of the cake so I won't stick to the cardboard and I invert onto one of the rounds. You might have to "burp "it a little by shaking. Then I flip the cake onto the other round and I brush off the sugar and there you have it. My cakes never crak and they are so light and fluffy. A real New York cheese cake.

False

When the tides of life are against you

And the current upsets your boat

Don't think of things that might have been

Just lay on your back and float

Ed Norton     1954

The Honeymooners