Borracho Beans/Pinto Beans - I need help! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Borracho Beans/Pinto Beans - I need help!

Last post Oct 09, 2012 9:20 PM by Tomcatlover . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • Borracho Beans/Pinto Beans - I need help!

Good morning friends!  I am planning to make Borracho (Drunken) Beans for our meal tomorrow and have a few questions.  I've read that you're supposed to pre-soak your dried beans, first of all; however, the soaking times vary from 1 hour to 24 hours with all different methods.  One particular method says to put the dried beans in water and bring to a boil, then turn off the flame and let sit overnight in the same water.  The article claims that this helps to process some of the gaseous enzymes out of the beans and makes them easier to cook - is this true?

Also, my Grandma always told me NEVER to salt my beans until they were completely done but the recipes that I'm reading make no such notes.  She said if I salted them too early, the beans wouldn't get soft............what do you think?

Lastly, I'm reading that people use their pressure cooker to cook their beans but the pressure cooker makers all claim that you shouldn't cook beans in the pressure cooker because of foaming issues and blocking the vent thing?  Have you used your pressure cooker to cook beans?  Did it work well?  How long and at what pressure did you use?

If there's anybody out there who can give me a little bit of guidance, I'd be most appreciative.  

Have a blessed day (0= 

False

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever ~ Hebrews 13:8, NLT

• Re: Borracho Beans/Pinto Beans - I need help!

I can't answer all of your questions, but I've made MANY dried bean recipes in my crock pot and stove top. I always follow the rule that you just rinse your beans and soak them in water in a bowl, overnight. I'm positive that this gets rid of many gases in the beans. I know that beans cook great in a crock pot! (that slow cooking really makes them great)

Mary

False

Keep Smilin'! A good laugh- for any reason- will do anyone good!

It's probably too late to chime in at this point, but I'm going to anyway.

First off, I always make beans in the pressure cooker.  Yes, they foam, but if you follow the simple rule of not filling the cooker more than half full, there's not a problem.  I also add a quarter cup of butter to my liquid which gives the beans a nicer flavor, and helps keep foaming in check.  I never soak beans, which makes it take longer in the pressure cooker than most recipes call for (most recipes calling for presaoked beans), but beans produce a wonderful, flavorful soupiness that is diminished or lost with presoaking.  Also, I use a jiggle top model pressure cooker which, too, takes longer than more modern cookers, but the principle is the same. I suspect that the more modern cookers would have the beans done in about an hour.  My method is simply, liquid, butter, beans, cooker no more than half full, bring to 15 psi and cook for an hour.  Use the quick release method to reduce pressure without losing heat, check the liquid level, add enough liquid to bring the liquid level back up to the halfway mark on the cooker, then continue cooking for another 30 minutes.  Perfect pinto beans every time. 

As far as salting beans while cooking, there is a school of thought says beans take in moisture from the small hole that is left where they were disengaged from the pod.  Just like it shrinks tissue when you put salt in a wound, salt causes that hole to shrink and the beans can't take in moisture.  I don't know if that's true or not, but the point is, it's beans.  Why would you want to salt them before they were cooked anyway?  Taste them once they are done and then add your salt and spicing. 

As far as de-gassing beans...it's really an old wives tale that it an be done.  Beans don't contain any gas.  They contain a complex carbohydrate structure which the body cannot break down until those carb chains have almost reached the large intestine, whereupon they are attacked by these monster enzymes intent on breaking them down.  The result of this enzyme attack is that the enzymes produce a gaseous waste by product that con only be released through...well, you know.  If you take an over the counter anti-gas remedy like beano before eating beans, you are adding these enzymes to your upper digestive tract, where the complex carbohydrates can be acted upon sooner, the result of which is you belch a little.  But the only way to really get over the gas that results from eating beans is to accustom your body to them by eating them more often.  

False

I don't often get asked to define irony, but when I do, I always say,

"Why, yes.  Yes, I AM a Field Editor for Taste of Home."

Thank  you very much for your input.  It is very valuable to me.  I did soak my beans and I tried them in the crock pot.  After about 6 hours on high they weren't NEARLY done, so I scooped them into a pot and simmered them on the stove for another 3 1/2 hours.  They were pretty good but I will definitely try my pressure cooker next time.  I have the new fangled one that doesn't have the wobbly thing but I'm gonna give it a go and see what happens.

I appreciate you taking the time to chime in here.  Thanks again and have a blessed day (0= 

False

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever ~ Hebrews 13:8, NLT

Flatulence depends entirely of the kind of beans you are cooking. You can surf the web for a list of the beans, strating with those which cause the most gas to the ones which cause no, or very little gas.

The worse offenders are Black Beans, then come Soy beans and on down the line to the ones that cause the least or no gas: Anazasi Beans.

It is the SKIN of the beans that cause the gas because the skin is hard to digest and the thinner skinned the beans are,  the less gas they cause.

Gas has nothing to do with pre soaking or the method of cooking.

I have been using Anazasi beans since found them the first time in a market in Arizona back in 76. They are a bit hard to find in certain states and do cost a bit more tan your ordinary supermarket beans but re well worth it. They have a nice, mild flavor and cook up very creamy.

Have used both methods of pre soaking, the cold and also the "bring to a boil" and see no difference in cooking time. Have always discarded the soaking water and started with fresh water. If you have soft water, all the better. If you have hard water I suggest you spend an extra dollar and buy a gallon jug of distilled water to cook your beans in.AC gallong goes a long way and will cook up a BIG mess of beans.

In fact, I have Anazasi beans soaking right now to cook tomorrow to mix with brown rice that is simmerig right now. I add salt after mixing the cooked beans and rice. Can't eat food that is too spicy or too hot but love a bit of Tandoori Masala to season the bean-rice mix, doesn't take much to give it a rich,somewhat exotic but mild flavor.

Last fall I bought 50 lbs of Anazasi beans direct from the grower. They are grown i the 4 corners region, mine came from the south east coner of Colorado. If you live in southern Idaho or the south western part of Wyomingyou can get them in bulk from Waltonfeed.com (Rainy Day Foods)in Mont Pelier/Idaho.

False

gr_elo

It is the SKIN of the beans that cause the gas because the skin is hard to digest and the thinner skinned the beans are,  the less gas they cause.

Gas has nothing to do with pre soaking or the method of cooking.

That is right! Most people don't know that.

False

we just cook them on low in the slow cooker for 14 or so hours- have tried the pressure cooker but did have some foaming issues when trying to do 2 cups of dried beans ( was fine with one cup )

False

Crock pot has always worked well for me. I've done it on the stove top, but the nice slow cooking is so yummy. I just soak the beans overnight in water, and they are fine for me.

False