fresh salsa | Taste of Home Community
Show Subscription Form

fresh salsa

Last post Sep 09, 2012 6:48 AM by enjoynature . 3 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
  • fresh salsa

Can you freeze fresh salsa (made from home grown tomatoes) without it getting waterlogged?

• Re: fresh salsa

I think it would be watery....but just drain it in a paper towel or cheese cloth lined colander prior to eating..

husband cans salsas.....tomato and tomatillo....he loves salsa...

It's not how you start, it's how you end strong!!

Walk yourself strong!!

Hi Didee,

I make lots of fresh salsa and freeze it.  Especially now when you can get loads of tomatoes and peppers at the Farmer's Market that have a spot here and there.  I but them cheaper and cut the spots out!  If you have ever seen what they call "fresh market salsa" at the grocery store, you'll notice it has a kind of watery consistency, that is what I think you are talking about the salsa looking like.

I tend to cook my salsa down a little bit.  I throw all of the veggies (chopped up of course) and my spices in a pan and let them simmer on low for at least an hour.  The fuller the pan, the longer it should simmer.  Then I let it cool before putting it in freezer containers (I use jars).  I have noticed that this seems to get rid of a certain amount of any water when I open another jar to use.

One more thing, I try not to use a super sweet onion in my salsa because they have more moisture in them.  I use more of what I call a storage onion.  A Spanish onion would be an example.

Taste of Home Field Editor since 2005

I have made homemade garden fresh salsa for years by either canning it or freezing it. I have found that if you leave your tomatoes more chunky while making the salsa, then the salsa won't seem so liquidity. I am a dumper cooker, so I haven't used a recipe for years. I have a recipe somewhere around here. Any more I just add different ingredients that I want in my salsa, and cook it for a little while in my one big kettle, stirring it occasionally so all the flavors get cooked through. Then I let it cool, bag it up in bags for the freezer or can it in a water bath for a time period. I will use the salsa as salsa or add it when I am making chili or tacos. It adds a nice flavor to the chili and tacos.

You have to keep in mind a tomato will break down into liquid tomato sauce or juice. So the liquid you see may be actually tomato juice. Also green peppers and onions can form a liquid of juice themselves depending on the how much moisture was in the growing season. So again it's natural to see some break down of moisture.