How Many Potatoes | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How Many Potatoes

Last post Aug 24, 2004 10:03 PM by lulu13 . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • How Many Potatoes
    I need to make potato salad for 100 people. How many pounds of potatoes would I need.

Also, how much shaved ham for 100 people. Thanks for your help.
    False
  • RE: How Many Potatoes

Gofee, I can't help you with the ham amount - your meat dept. could tell you. A few years ago I used 20 lbs. of potatoes to make potato salad for approx. 65 people. I'm sure not everyone ate it but I'd think 40 lbs. would be enough. I use a lot of Miracle Whip, too. Hope someone else will help you. How did you get this big job?
    Rosemary
    False
    I could scale my recipe in Master Cook for 100 people if you would like. It will give you the amount of cubed potatoes rather than how many pound. Let me know if you want me to do it.
    False
    Here is something I found that might help you.

Potatoes, white: 3 medium = 2 cups cubed cooked
    False
    I got this from allrecipes.com just for a giudeline for you.
    Ingredients

100 potatoes
    100 eggs
    12-1/2 stalks celery, chopped
    6-1/4 cups sweet relish
    25 cloves garlic, minced
    3 cups and 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
    12-1/2 cups mayonnaise
    salt and pepper to taste

Directions
    1 Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes; drain and chop.
    2 Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring water to a boil; cover, remove from heat, and let eggs stand in hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from hot water; peel and chop.
    3 In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, eggs, celery, sweet relish, garlic, mustard, mayonnaise and salt and pepper. Gently mix together and serve warm.

Makes 100 servings
    Scale this Recipe to servings

-For the ham you would need a 1/4lb per person.

False
    Party Potato Salad

10 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed
    3 cups mayonnaise
    3 cups sweet pickle relish
    2 cups chopped onions
    1/2 cup prepared mustard
    1 Tablespoon salt
    1 teaspoon pepper
    15 hard cooked eggs, chopped

Cook potatoes in boiling water until tender; drain. Combine next 6 ingredients; mix well. Add eggs and warm potatoes; toss gently to coat. Cover and refrigerate.
    Yield: 60 (1/2 cup) servings.
    False
    As someone mentioned, I would think you could judge by "one potato" per person, or 100. I use Hellmann's mayo until ALMOST enough dressing, then add Miracle Whip to finish. That is delicious, and almost tastes like there's sour cream in it. I have received many complements on that ratio, per say. Of course, your other veggies added also........enjoy, and GOOD LUCK with THAT project!
    False