Uses For Your Muffin Pan | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Uses For Your Muffin Pan

Last post Jul 08, 2013 8:56 AM by MurphyNJ . 22 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 12
  • Uses For Your Muffin Pan

Most everyone has a muffin pan and only use it to cook muffins and/or  cupcakes. Here are some ideas for you so you can get more out of your muffin pan. If you have mini muffin pans you could do mini philly cheesesteak bites or corndog bites. Regular size muffin pans you could use for individual pies. I also saw in the April/May issue of TOH a recipe for BBQ meatloaf in the muffin pans. I will be trying that next week. If you like to decorate cakes, like me, and use royal icing to pipe flowers you could place them in the muffin pans for easy travel or storage. This helps ensure they won't get broken. If you have jumbo muffin pans you could bake individual serving sizes of mac n cheese or another baked side dish that would hold together. What are some other ideas you have come up with for your muffin pans? 

False

Taste of Home Field Editor

• Re: Uses For Your Muffin Pan

Well, this is probably not the answer you were looking for, but I have one that came over on the Mayflower, that isn't fit for any food products, so it now does service in my mini hardware cabinet as a receptacle for various sized nails, screws, nuts, bolts, washers, tacks, and small hooks.  I have another one that is in my grandkids' after school crafts desk that holds everything from beads and spangles to moving eye balls and glitter.  And, I have another one in my sewing room... you can imagine all the things that are in that one.

But, back to the kitchen... I use muffin pans for freezing portions of leftovers.. slip the muffin tin into a large Ziploc bag, to keep the contents from icing up.

False

♥ Life is a song, sing it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a dream, realize it, Life is a sacrifice, offer it. Life is love, enjoy it. And, life is cooking, eat it. (Sai Baba & Judy)

♥ Judy Batson, Volunteer Field Editor, Taste of Home, 2009 ♥ Contest Winner, Country Woman, 2011♥ Meet me at Cooking for Two.

That is such a great idea!! I love to scrapbook and have lots of little odds and ends that I just keep in a box. Never thought about storing them in muffin pans. Now I will to stay organized.

False

I have some of my mom's old muffin tins, they have 6 or 4 cups to them.  I use them to hold packets of sweetner at some of the events I cater.   We will also use them at some event to hold salad dressings. 

False

For a quick breakfast, spray the tins with oil,crack an egg in each one, then place a refrigerated biscuit on top. Bake at 350 until biscuits are golden brown. Turn over and pop out a little egg basket as the egg bakes onto the biscuit.
    False

I have also used the muffen pans for make eggs and biscuits in. So good!! And it is a quick fix. I love the idea to hold things in them for events. I will have to do this when I entertain. 

False

On Saturday, I hosted an engagement party.  I had a real ugly looking muffin pan that I spray painted white.  I put this pan on the dessert table, and in each of the six cups, I put mini M&M's, peanuts, skittles, kisses, raisins, and cashews. Perfect.  (Hint, use Rustoleum paint which adheres better... and don't ever plan to use this painted pan in the oven again).

False

♥ Life is a song, sing it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a dream, realize it, Life is a sacrifice, offer it. Life is love, enjoy it. And, life is cooking, eat it. (Sai Baba & Judy)

♥ Judy Batson, Volunteer Field Editor, Taste of Home, 2009 ♥ Contest Winner, Country Woman, 2011♥ Meet me at Cooking for Two.

What a clever idea!!!! I actually no several people having babies and getting married this year. I will have to do this bc I will be helping out at some of these upcoming parties. I may even try to incorporate this into my son's birthday party. Thanks for sharing!

False

Beema

On Saturday, I hosted an engagement party.  I had a real ugly looking muffin pan that I spray painted white.  I put this pan on the dessert table, and in each of the six cups, I put mini M&M's, peanuts, skittles, kisses, raisins, and cashews. Perfect.  (Hint, use Rustoleum paint which adheres better... and don't ever plan to use this painted pan in the oven again).

Clever and great for decoration but don't put unwrapped food in a pan you've spray painted.  Rustoleum paint is NOT food safe.

True

Online Community / Field Editor Manager

Feel free to reach out to me anytime!

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sue.stetzel@RD.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

Good catch, Sue... I neglected to mention that I put the paper muffin liners in the cups of the muffin tin before I put the goodies in.  I used the colored ones, some pink, some blue, some yellow, etc.

False

I would probably get more use out of some of my muffin pans if I used it for "odds & ends".  I rarely use my one for "mini" muffins and part of the reason is I hate to have to clean all 24 little holes.  No matter what muffin papers I use, it still seems like I have to clean the top rims.  Maybe I put too much in each one.

I do love to use my "jumbo" muffin pan and what I cook most in it is stuffed peppers.  They stand up so well and seem to cook more evenly.

-kathy

False

Taste of Home Field Editor since 2005

Hi,

What I do sometimes is if I'm making a batch of soup I will put some in the muffin pans and freeze then all you have to do is pop them out and warm up. Also a nice breakfast idea I have done is take a cookie cutter and cut out holes in bread and then place in cups the add partially cooked bacon and a little shredded cheese pop it in to the oven (400 degrees) just until the bread gets toasty then place one or two egg yolks in and season with salt and pepper you can also add some fresh herbs of your choice and maybe some green onion then it goes back into the oven for eight to ten minutes until egg sets and then take it out of the oven and pop out serve warm and enjoy!!

False

u can turn them upside down and make pie crust bowls..or rice crispy treat bowls....the pie crust bowls are baked for 20-25 min at 350...the rice crispy treat bowls are used to put oher candies in...

you can also use a biscuit and place it over the upside down muffin tin to make bowls for apps.

jav4u

False

SMILES GO A LONG WAY..SO LAUGH AND SMILE TODAY! ENJOY LIFE!

MY DOBEE DOO BLACK LAB AND BEST FRIEND!Big Smile

There are so many great uses for the muffin tin.  One of my favorites is ‘Wonton Cups.’  You start with wonton skins and ‘go nuts’
    with your creativity.  I am attaching 2
    of my recipes.  I have also recently
    created ‘Taco Wonton Cups’ (a simpler version of my Mexican Wonton Cups) and
    ‘Chicken Parm. Cups’, I just have yet to write them up.  EnjoySmile

Philly Cheesesteak Won Ton Cups

Ingredients:

-tbsp. vegetable oil

-1 lb. sliced deli roast beef – cut into small pieces

-salt and pepper

-1 tbsp. Montreal Steak Seasoning

-1 large onion

-1 green pepper

-PAM

-36 Won ton Wrappers

-1/4 cup Worcestershire 
    Sauce

-2 cups Shredded Provolone Cheese

Cooking Instructions:

-Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

-Heat vegetable oil in large pan over medium heat.

-Season beef with salt,
    pepper and steak seasoning.

-Add onion and pepper and sauté for about 5 minutes –until
    soft.

- In the meantime, spray 3 medium (large doesn’t work so well)
    muffin tins (each holding 12) with PAM.

-Press a won ton wrapper in each cup of the tins.

-Bake won tons for 5 minutes and remove from
    oven.

TIP: 
    IF YOU DO NOT HAVE 3 MUFFIN TINS OR ENOUGH ROOM IN YOUR OVEN, YOU CAN
    BAKE 12 AT A TIME AND TRANSFER TO A LARGE FLAT BAKING PAN.                                                                         

-Add beef and Worcestershire to pan and cook for about 5
    minutes.

-Remove from heat and drain.

-Stuff each won ton with about a tbsp. of beef mixture and
    sprinkle with Provolone Cheese.

-Return to oven and bake for another 10 minutes.

OPTIONAL – Top with steak sauce.

Mexican Wonton Cups

Ingredients:

Chili Con Queso Sauce:

-2 tbsp. vegetable oil

-3 lbs. ground beef

-kosher salt and fresh ground pepper

-1 tbsp. garlic powder

-2 large onion (chopped)

-2 large green bell pepper (chopped)

-2 large red bell pepper (chopped)

- 1tbsp. minced garlic

-1 tbsp. cumin

-1 tbsp. cayenne pepper

-1 tbsp. chili powder

-2 tbsp. flour

-1  (14 ½ ounce) can
    fire roasted diced tomatoes

-1  (4 ounce) can mild
    green chiles

-2 chipotle in adobo (smoosh with side of knife then chop)

-1 cup heavy cream

-2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

-2 cup Monterey jack

Won Ton Cups:

-remaining beef mixture

-2 cups chili con queso sauce (above)

-1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese

-2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese – 1 cup for mixture and one
    cup for sprinkling on top

-Cooking spray - PAM

-24  won ton wrappers

-2 tbsp. fresh chopped cilantro for garnish

Cooking Instructions:

Chili Con Queso Sauce:

-Heat vegetable oil in large pot over medium heat.

-Add ground beef and cook. (about 7 minutes)

-Season with salt, 
    pepper, and garlic powder.

-Add onion and peppers and cook for about 5 minutes.  (until vegetables are soft)

-Add garlic, cayenne, cumin, chili powder, additional salt and
    pepper to taste.

-Remove half of the beef mixture and set aside.

-Add flour and cook stirring constantly for 2-3 minutes.

-Add tomatoes and chiles.

-Use a potato masher and smash to break down the tomatoes and
    chiles.

-Cook for another 5 minutes.

-Add heavy cream and chipotle in adobo – stir.

-Add cheeses and stir until cheese is melted and flavors are
    combined – about 5 minutes.

Won Ton Cups:

-Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

-To the beef mixture that was set aside earlier add the chili
    con queso sauce, the Monterey jack and 1 cup of the cheddar.

-Cook for about 10 minutes and remove from heat.

-Prepare 2 muffin tins (each holding 12) – spray each with cup
    with PAM.

press a wonton wrapper in each cup of a muffin tin. 

- Bake at 350 degrees for 5 minutes.

-As they come out of the oven stuff each cup with about 1
    tbsp. of the mixture and sprinkle with cheddar.

-Bake at 350 degrees for another 10 minutes.

-Sprinkle with cilantro and transfer to a serving platter.

Serve the rest of the chili con queso sauce with tortilla
    chips.  Also, serve both with salsa and
    sour cream.

False

During the Thanksgiving - Christmas holidays, use an OLD, ANTIQUEY muffin pan, filling each "hole" with fresh cranberries and in the center of each place a white tea light candle.  Very pretty display for coffee table or kitchen table.  The cranberries will last thru the entire holiday season.  Actually, could probably do it for 4th of July using the cranberries and alternating blue and white tea light candles.

False

Marilyn