How much water do I need to add to cook a chicken in the crockpot? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How much water do I need to add to cook a chicken in the crockpot?

Last post Oct 01, 2003 7:50 AM by 4longlife . 5 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
  • How much water do I need to add to cook a chicken in the crockpot?
    It's a 5 lb chicken.
    Also, how long do I cook it?
    False
  • RE: How much water do I need to add to cook a chicken in the crockpot?
    add water or stock to cover, bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer - simmer for 1 hour and it will fall apart and you'll have clear stock if you don't let it boil - season stock only after you remove the chicken.
    False
    I cook a whole chicken in the crockpot with excellent results everytime-Clean & season to your liking-can stuff inside with onion& Celery. I put in the crockpot on a rack or use foil and cook on high for one hour, then turn down and cook all day long while at work=when I get home the chicken is fall off the bone juicy and tender and can make gravy if you want. Did you try looking up crockpot chicken on the search?
    False
    I don't add liquid to my chicken that I do in the crockpot.

I turn it on and the natural juices keep it moist.

If you are adding veggies to the chicken then perhaps a 1/2 c. of chicken broth.
    To BBQ, just the chicken with BBQ sauce is good.
    False
    Hi! I'm thinking if you want gravy with your chicken, you'll want some water in the bottom--perhaps 1 cup. Otherwise, I think I'd put just a little to help with the sticking thing, if necessary.
    False
    I cooked it up yesterday in the crockpot (12 hours)! No water & with balls of foil on bottom. Yum, yum.
    False