Almond Paste | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Almond Paste

Last post Feb 17, 2010 2:34 PM by Vachi . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • Almond Paste
    I would like to know how to soften almond paste...it is as hard as a rock...i've tried the odense website and get nothing....thanks.
    False
  • RE: Almond Paste
    I don't think you can. I've taken it back to the store for a refund when I've bought it and found it was hard.

I only buy the stuff in the can now--it's always fine, but those tubes in the cardboard boxes can be iffy. Almond paste doesn't move that quickly and sometimes the tubes are like rocks. If you have no choice, at least squeeze the box at the store to make sure the product has some give to it.
    False
    Have had hard almond aste, I put m9ne in a double boiler, add a tiny bit of water and a little peanut oil. When it gets warm, incorporate the water and the oil into it and it is smooth after much mand stirring with something heavy.
    But guess it depends on what you want to use it for. If it is in a dough/batter, just a bit less liwuid, about the same amount you had added to the almond paste.
    Grelo. It is not hard to make your own, have done it in a pich. Blanch your almonds and immediately after immerse in ice cold water. Change water a few times. This cold water bath will keep the almonds nice and white. Sqyyeeze them outoftheir skin, then put into food processor and process until the consistency you want, add a lottle bit of almond extract, otherwise it will be toobland. In the old days they added a few bitter almonds to a batch for flavor, now-a-days they use almond extract. If you ask me, the almond paste in the US is too strongly flavored for my taste so I always thin it down a little or use less.
    Try making yur own, it really is not hard and it is fun.
    Grelo
    False
    I just got a 7lb can from Blue Diamond. With shipping it came to a few cents over $36.00. Roughly $2.60/8 ounces. Odense is a 7 ounce tube for $5.50 and Solo in a can is 8 ounces for a few cents less. Since it's freezeable, it was worth getting it from Blue Diamond. I split it into 1 cup portions (since that's what most of my recipes call for), in a zip lock bag and then vac packed them.
    False

Dear Footsie,
    Thank you so much for the tip. I don't use almond paste as often as I would like due to the high cost. Now I'll be able to use it more often.
    False
    You're welcome. I've got several recipes I love that call for almond pasted but because of the cost I rarely made them. Buying it from Blue Diamond growers, I can now make them any time I want.
    False

I recently used some and it was like a rock and I decided to put it in the blender with the other dry ingredients and it seemed to turn out fine. Hope this helps.
    False
    To Footsie, Please send me LINK to Blue Diamond for Almond paste PLEASE. I went to the Blue Diamond web site and can't find where they sell Almond Paste. Thanking you in advance.
    Grace
    False
    Here you go!

http://www.bluediamond.com/shop/nuts/paste.cfm
    False

Thanks Footies I just order the 7lb can. Thanks again
    False
  • Re: Almond Paste

Put it in a covered glass casserole dish, sprinkle with 1/2 tsp or so of water, and microwave at half power for 5 minutes, breaking it up with a fork halfway through.

False