baking in mason jar... | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

baking in mason jar...

Last post Dec 02, 2003 10:49 AM by Blestmomof6 . 20 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 12
  • baking in mason jar...
    I am a new member to this. I just went to a craft fair and they had different kinds of breads baked in a canning jar. They were supposed to be good for a year. Is there a special recipe for these breads...such as banana, pumpkin, etc. Thanks....P.S. I am enjoying reading the bulletin board.
    False
  • RE: baking in mason jar...
    Hi, teapotnana,
    have never heard of real bread baked in canning jars but banana bread, pumpkin bread and such,yes, they are more like cake.
    I baked pound akes in wide mouth pint jars forX-Mas presents last year and will do so again. The first time I saw them was 10 yrs ago in Oregon, a small Swedish bekery made them for sale.
    Go to Goggle and type in "Jar Cakes" and you will get many recipes and exact instructions how to do it.
    I buy the wide mouth jars (for give-away cakes) used at auctions, yard sales and sch, usually get them for 10 cents ea. This year I am also making some in quart jars for our own use, much easier than thwing out a frozen cake and yes, they do keep for up to a year but you have to check the lids at least every twoweeks to make sure they are still sealed properly.
    You will have fun making them. After taking the rings off I cut rounds from calico with pinking shears, large enough so the material will hang over about 1 1/2 ", then tie a ribbon around where the jar threads are and put on a gift card with name of recipient and what kind of cake it is.
    Welcome to the BB, you should check out the column called "Recipes" but look for the jar cakes in Google.
    Grelo
    False
    Here are two, will do another post with a couple of more...
    Elaine

Apple Cake in a Jar
    2/3 c shortening
    3 1/3 c sugar
    4 eggs
    2 c applesauce
    1½ tsp salt
    2 tsp Watkins Apple Bake Seasoning
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    2 tsp baking soda
    3 1/3 c flour
    1 c raisins
    1/2 c chopped pecans
    Grease 8 wide-mouth canning jars and set aside.

Cream shortening and sugar. Beat in eggs and applesauce. Mix together the dry ingredients and stir into the batter. Add the raisins and nuts and divide the batter evenly between the 8 jars. Evenly space jars on cookie sheet, leaving as much room as possible between jars. Bake at 325° for 60 minutes. After 45 minutes, set lids in a small pan of almost-simmering water. When cakes are done, quickly remove one hot jar at a time and wipe the rim of the jar. Quickly add lid and tighten. The lid will seal as the jars cool. Keep in a cool dry place. Use within 6 months.

Banana Bread in a Jar
    2 2/3 c sugar
    2/3 c shortening
    4 eggs
    2/3 c buttermilk
    1 tsp vanilla
    2 c mashed ripe bananas
    3½ c flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    2 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp nutmeg
    1 tsp salt
    2/3 c chopped walnuts
    Prepare 7 wide-mouth canning jars by spraying them well with non-stick spray.

Cream shortening and sugar. Beat in eggs, water and vanilla. Add bananas and mix until smooth. Mix together the dry ingredients and stir into the batter. Fold in nuts. Place 1 cup batter in each jar. Evenly space jars on cookie sheet, leaving as much room as possible between jars. Bake at 325° for 55 minutes. After 40 minutes, set lids in a small pan of almost-simmering water. When cakes are done, quickly remove one hot jar at a time and wipe the rim of the jar. Quickly add lid and tighten. The lid will seal as the jars cool. Keep in a cool dry place. Use within 6 months.

False
    Two down, two more to go!
    Elaine

Carrot Cake in a Jar
    2 2/3 c sugar
    2/3 c shortening
    4 eggs
    2/3 c water
    2 tsp vanilla
    3½ c flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    2 tsp baking soda
    2 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp salt
    2 c peeled, grated carrots
    2/3 c chopped walnuts
    Prepare 7 wide-mouth canning jars by spraying them well with non-stick spray.
    Cream shortening and sugar. Beat in eggs, water and vanilla. Mix together the dry ingredients and stir into the batter. Add the carrots and nuts and mix well. Place 1 cup batter in each jar. Evenly space jars on cookie sheet, leaving as much room as possible between jars. Bake at 325 for 55 minutes. After 40 minutes, set lids in a small pan of almost-simmering water. When cakes are done, quickly remove one hot jar at a time and wipe the rim of the jar. Quickly add lid and tighten. The lid will seal as the jars cool. Keep in a cool dry place. Use within 6 months.

Johnny Appleseed Cakes
    2/3 c shortening
    2 2/3 c sugar
    4 eggs
    2 tsp baking soda
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 1/2 tsp Apple Bake Seasoning
    2/3 c water
    3 1/2 c flour
    2/3 chopped nuts
    2 c peeled, cored & chopped apples
    Cream shortening and sugar. Add the eggs, baking powder, soda, salt and Apple Bake seasoning. Add the water alternately with the flour. Stir in the nuts and apples. Grease 8 wide mouth pint jars. Fill all the jars half-way with batter. Place on a cookie sheet and bake at 325 for 45-55 minutes. Remove from oven one jar at a time and place lids on while still hot. Keeps for 6 months.
    False
    There you go, TeapotNana! Enjoy your baking!
    Elaine

Pumpkin Cake in a Jar
    2/3 c shortening
    2 2/3 c sugar
    4 eggs
    15 oz can canned pumpkin
    2/3 c water
    1½ tsp salt
    1 Tbsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    2 tsp baking soda
    3 1/3 c flour
    1 c chopped walnuts
    Grease 8 wide-mouth canning jars and set aside.

Cream shortening and sugar. Beat in eggs, pumpkin and water. Mix together the dry ingredients and stir into the batter. Add the nuts and divide the batter evenly between the 8 jars. Evenly space jars on cookie sheet, leaving as much room as possible between jars. Bake at 325° for 60 minutes. After 45 minutes, set lids in a small pan of almost-simmering water. When cakes are done, quickly remove one hot jar at a time and wipe the rim of the jar. Quickly add lid and tighten. The lid will seal as the jars cool. Keep in a cool dry place. Use within 6 months.

Zucchini Bread In A Jar
    2 c sugar
    1 c oil
    3 eggs
    2/3 c water
    1 tsp vanilla
    3¼ c flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    1½ Tbsp cinnamon
    3 cups grated zucchini
    1 c chopped nuts
    Cream oil and sugar. Beat in eggs, water and vanilla. Mix dry ingredients in separate bowl. Add dry ingredients and mix well. Mix in zucchini and nuts. Grease 7 wide-mouth pint canning jars. Ladle 1 cup of batter into each cup. Place jars on baking sheet, with as much room as possible between jars, and bake at 325 degrees for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Fifteen minutes before cakes should be ready, put lids in hot water, just under a simmer. Remove jars from oven one at a time. Wipe rim, place hot lid on jar, seal with ring.
    False
    Dumb question. How do you get them out? Do they just slide free of the jar?
    False
    The ones I purchased came in a quart jar..regular. How do they come out?
    False
    Mine are in pint jars, I just take a plastic knife and run it around the outside, and they slide out. Since quart jars are slightly tapered, I don't think you'd be able to get it out in one piece.
    Elaine
    False
    Thank you guys, for all your help. This is an absolute wonderful place to visit...I am looking forward to baking in a jar!!!!
    False
    I used a chocolate recipe that I got from allrecipes one year and everyone told me it was to "wet" when they opened it.......so I opened mine and sure enought it was kinda soggy on the top, it was done but not sure how to do this without the moisture forming........does anyone have any ideas,,,,,,,,,,ok by the way the cake tasted good and had kept sealed for several months...
    False
    Has anyone an idea on stopping moisture forming on inside of jars,its a great idea i would like to use for the holidays.Any help would be great.
    False
    Mine were fine, but i nly baked pound cakes from scratch and the batter was not very runny, kind of stiffm come to think of.
    Have 3 ideas for avoiding moisture going to the top, none of them may work but who knows?
    1. As soon as jar "ping" and are seled, put back into the still warm oven and let cool in oven with oven-door closed. (the condensation appearently comes from steam rising to the top inside of the jar and hitting the cool lide) I would try this one first.

2. As soon as they "ping", have a folded balnket or sheet in a wide, low cardboard box, lay jars down on their sides, then rotate them a little bit at the time about every q 10-15 minutes (Keeping them covered to keep warm until cooled very slowly) When they are cooled compleely, remove their "blanket" and store standing up.

3 As soon as they "ping", set hem on a nice warm blanket UPSIDE DOWN, cover with another blanket and let cool slowly under cover until completely cooled.

4 Use a stiffer batter to startvwith, I can imagine that apples would make moisture when cooked/baked and so will soft batters.

Like I said, these may be goofy ideas but one may really work. I wil try some bread just for the ehck of it.
    Always have cooled canned vegetables in jars "under cover" after processing, don't really know why but that is how my grandmother and mother did it, just abit, I guess.
    If the bread turns out, will let you know, but it will NOT be the average bread but heavy European type.
    If you try any of my goofy ideas and they do work, give me a holler....
    See you,
    Grelo
    False
    thank you for the ideas,ill let you know what works
    False
    Yes, you must use straight sided, wide mouth jars. The smaller mouth jars prevent the cake from coming out. Once the baked cakes cool, they shrink slightly in size and will slide right out of the jars.

I have made these out of curiosity and they were good!
    False

Photobucket

bump
    False